The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Since I am very unhappy with my current saddle company, and have always been curious about Prestige, can anyone suggest where to learn more about their models and what might suit my horse and myself? If anyone here is very familiar, I like a deep seat, narrow twist and a good size block, but nothing under my leg. My horse has a very short back and a set back shoulder, so a tough saddle position. Fortunately I ride in a 17 inch so that helps somewhat.

Check out their dealers from their site: http://www.prestigeitaly.com

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    Since I am very unhappy with my current saddle company, and have always been curious about Prestige, can anyone suggest where to learn more about their models and what might suit my horse and myself?
    Call one of the reps mentioned in my post on the last page. Seriously, it's an extensive enough lineup that you'd want professional help sussing out which one might work best. Especially since there are multiple models that meet your desired description.

That said, the Prestige D1 is sort of their flagship saddle for what you're describing (and by "flagship" I mean "the most expensive one but not their only one ). You can read more about it here.
    http://equestrianimports.com/shop/ne...d3474602c6eb7d

I mention the D1 because as it turns out, Toulouse--a brand that I normally abhor--managed to very competently knock off the Prestige D1 at the bargain price of $1800. Obviously you lose some leather and workmanship quality in the process, but let's just say they got the structural/balance part of it right. Lynda at Classic Saddlery assisted with this knockoff process, and she's selling the demo/salesman sample stock of that saddle for a jaw-dropping $995. On the downside, it will lack the Prestige lifetime tree warranty and the adjustability of the Prestige tree.
    http://www.classicsaddlery.com/close...nsignments.htm

Thanks! Great suggestions.

Honestly, I would suggest looking around ebay or somewhere else for a used D1K. The leather alone is something I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice, not to mention the opportunity to adjust the tree. If you are lucky you can find a used D1 in about the same price range.

You are buying a saddle for life, after all.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a Venus K (mono) and it is a gorgeous saddle, well constructed, and extremely comfortable. I enjoy riding in it but I sometimes feel as if I am fighting my tack due to the forward balance. But part of it is likely my fault, as I've not been very riding fit due to school, so I will see how I like it as I regain some proper core and riding muscles this spring. It fits my Paint/TB mare like a glove (she is surprisingly narrow and a bit curvy) so I will keep riding in it unless I find something better for both of us. The seat size does run small, as an 18 rides like a 17.5.

I've ridden in several and am currently riding in one of the newer Optimax models. I am very happy with the saddle, and the leather and workmanship is scrumptious.
    Last edited by Unfforgettable; Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:35 PM.