The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "matchy" inspired - what are your online shopping desires???

I was reading the "matchy-matchy" thread about finding matching pads and polos and how much of a selection there is in europe compared to here when it comes to that. As it may, I happen to be in the process of gathering information about products for my future store and would LOOOVE to know what everyone would like to have available!

Would you want more interesting designs on saddle pads, or maybe better fabric/qualities? Or would you want to see more dressage coats in various styles? Or maybe inexpensive tendon/brushing boots that would match pads? Or how about crazily blinged out bridles? Or anything else? more colorful? more matching? better quality? different fabrics? what products could be cheaper and what products you wouldn't mind paying "good" money for? What about clothes, would you want to see tack shops carry more cute rider-wear? less? socks? underwear? anything else you can think of?

I want to hear all of your desires/complaints please ) Very curious what the dressage population desires!

And one more question for everyone - would you as a dressage rider buy ear bonnets if they were attractive/matching just to put on your horse for decoration or maybe to keep their ears warm in the winter?

More contrast full seat breeches that don't come up to my belly button and cost a fortune.

I don't have much trouble finding matching things.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm all about wild and crazy patterns on saddle pads (my first dressage pad was a custom leopard print pad that I still own!), so I'd love to see more of those. I am quite the untraditional DQ and don't mind embarrassing my trainer during lessons. She's a good sport, though!

Dressage coats in various styles could be interesting, but I'd be more apt to purchase one if it came in plus sizes and still looked good. I much prefer the traditional frock (longer cut to hide some weight sins), but would love to see some crystal buttons, something different to punch it up a bit.

I go crazy when it comes to schooling, but for clinics and shows I tone it down. Still, I'd love a frock with some funky buttons...I think it was RedmondDressage that told me about her friend's shad that she put crystal SKULL buttons on!
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

Better quality saddle pads and different price ranges--- more old school cotton and less of the polyester-types they sell now.

More of a size range for ponies and larger horses. If it doesn't fit my horse, I can't buy it no matter how much I like it!

I don't really do colorful pads or bling, I prefer good quality leather and traditional things that will match a variety of clothes.

I would however, love a selection of PRI saddle pad colors. They seem to be a good mix of conservative but some fun ideas.

My opinion is the bling/color thing is sort of fading. I have to invest in something that will last over time, not just one season.

Technical fabrics are really where its at-- form over just trend. I don't want to die in the heat at a show if I don't have to!

A good selection of non-see through white show shirts would be awesome! Technical and cotton.

I am not sure what advice to give you regarding products to carry in a store. i think with the advent of the internet brick and mortar stores have an uphill climb unless in a heavily saturated area or a mobile unit that will go to shows. It would be difficult to have the same level of varied inventory in a store that can be had on the internet for the same price.

Having said that i think the things that people do want to see in stores is clothing so they can try them on, feel the fabric, etc. Unfortunately what i see a lot of folks do is go to the store to try them on, find what they like and then go home to their computer to order the product at a lower cost.

What I have seen appear to work at some of our local stores....we have a local Dover store that essentially carries a lot of what they have in the catalog...clothes, boots, helmets, barn accessories, supplements, horse blankets, etc. They probably have the most comprehensive selection. We have another well established store about 1hr away from the Dover store that is mostly high end goods...some conservative clothes, nice tack, boots, helmets. Smaller selection of barn good but still all the basics. Not many supplements. The last store has a good selection of conservative show clothing, good selection of boots, OK selection of tack and does offer used saddle consignment sales (and they have a saddle fitter as well). They carry a good selection of grooming supplies. The last store does have a mobile unit that goes to all the shows and their main store is located on the grounds of a large boarding/ showing facility.

We had another store try to set up shop in my town that was mostly high end clothing. No significant tack (few halters and a bridle or two), few grooming supplies, small selection of boots and helmets. I loved going there and really tried to support them as a business neighbor. Unfortunately the market wasn't there and she would have a lot of folks come in to try on clothes but then not buy (presumably they went and bought on line later).
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I love the idea of matchy fly veils! I agree with having a price range as some one mentioned earlier. Also hkm has nice products (including silver bell boots) that are well priced. One more thing I love how British stores such as fur feather meds market, they pick out match outfits and you can buy them as a set. Sorry for the all over the place post.

Riding apparel in technical fabrics
    Petites to plus size range for jackets and britches
    Saddle pads for the pony to small horse to gentle giant
    Some variety in price point options
    Knowledgeable saddle fitter onsite who is not tied to one brand
    Cool browbands- maybe made to order- sporty to blingy- capture the backyard diva to the show diva- also in different sizes
    A consignment section at the very least for tack.

Riding apparel in technical fabrics and wide range of sizes. Plus size tall boots that are decent and don't cost in the thousands--the only ones I have found come from the UK (which seems to carry a better size selection in general than North America and also have loads of brands that you don't find here). So maybe more stuff from the UK in general. Fancy browbands, unusual stock ties and stock pins. Non-see-through white show shirts in technical fabrics (Arista shirts are wonderful but difficult to find). Shipping to Canada!.

I've switched over to quality over quantity in my saddle pads (Mattes sheepskin, NuMed wool). So I have just a few pads and use them a lot.

I do spend money on casual schooling wear in nice colours and technical fabrics.

My favorite vest is Eous Seafoam green(I think). The color has been discontinued and I would REALLY like the matching saddle pad and polos
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I'm not really into matchy stuff, but I do like some pretty neutral sets that looks good with everything - white with pretty trim, grays, pretty taupes, chocolate, champagne. I ride a chestnut, so maybe that's why I like the neutral colors!

I would love more options for color on collars, piping, buttons on show coats. The pikeur diana fits me beautifully, but I hate that there aren't more options for customization or color (and the price of a new one!).

I love blingy browbands. I also love pretty stock ties and stock pins. These are inexpensive enough to have a few options. I often wonder why there aren't more options.

As for breeches, I like them to have dark seats- gray with black, olive with chocolate, etc. The pikeurs, ariat olympia, and other full seats made of the schoeller fabrics are great. I would also love to have some pretty very subtle pinstripes, tone on tone herringbones, and other FLATTERING prints.

I'm in the UK, and a matchy obsessive. I really like the HKM pads, I prefer a pad with a bit of detail/piping. Would be awesome to be able to get affordable boots or wraps in matchy colours, because bandages are a pain in the arse

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Those are great!! Keep them coming!

This is so educational - I'd love to hear more! I totally agree on technical fabrics and cute decorations, and I love the idea about sizing and flattering designs.

To clarify, I am working on an online store and trying to develop my own brand of horse and rider gear - knowing what you guys want is exactly what I need to know. I will have some imported brands etc but I'd like to have some stuff manufactured myself based on my specs - I was tentatively planning on some cute classy matchy sets, matching rider tops, quality gloves that won't break your bank and a specific fabric composition for polo wraps, my fav in terms of stretchability and "wrapability" qualities - but I have not considered hi tech fabrics for pads all that much - seems like that is a common desire!

Stock ties are a great idea - easy enough to have many cute ones! Just like ear bonnets.

How much would you guys pay for a high tech show coat that is ultra thin, looks "stiff" for its thickness and elegant, flattering design for any shape, very good for hot weather in its wicking properties and weight, comes in many color options of the coat itself and collar and maybe has some other styling options - such a coat is definitely possible to manufacture but it would certainly not be the cheapest - I am wondering how many people want such a coat bad enough to pay a higher price for it.
    Would you pay, lets say $500 for such a cool coat? $600?
    Personally I have always leaned towards buying cheaper coats but they all kinda suck, are hot and most of them look the same and are ultimately made out of the same fabric, few are really worth the extra $$. Cuter looking ones aren't much more "valuable" in my opinion unless the "cut" or design of the fit is better not just the styling embellishments.

What about coolers? What would you like to see improved in the cooler world?

I also love hearing about your favorite colors - I don't have much of a sum to start out with and each color added to the selection makes a huge difference - I would rather pick colors wisely.

Also, any favorite european brands you guys have that are not easily available here or not at all?

What about the fit of breeches? what sort of pockets do you like best? thickness and type of fabric? any other specs?

Would you like to have matching rider apparel available? Maybe a pad with two shades of a certain color could go with two different tops? Any favorites in terms of fleece zip ups, hoodies, jackets, polos, t-shirts?

What about helmets? what do you think of the available selection in the US and what would you desire in that regard?

is Bling still in? on things other than bridles/browbands? should I bother trying to find blingy saddle pads, belts, gloves and other accessories?

Any desired regarding leather tack items like bridles, reins, girths, halters?

Final question, what are your thoughts on colorful sheepskin half-pads? would you rather have a few of lesser quality for a reasonable price or would you prefer to buy a high end brand once and be done with it?

And thanks again to everyone who answered, this is huuugely helpful!! I am off to find technically advanced fabrics ))

I like the neutrals, too--greys, browns, dark blue. I get terribly sick of black, especially in winter. One area where I will go crazy with colours and patterns is schooling gloves. I adore my leopard-patterned ones.

A palette of saturated, full colours and a palette of neutrals.
    The two palettes should be able to work w/each other, for example: cool grey w/cobalt blue, or warm grey w/mustard.

Shipping to Canada at reasonable cost, with pricing that includes duties (USPS v. Fedex)

Schooling wear that looks neat and tidy.
    Technical fabrics that wick moisture, in colours that are heat reflective for sunny days, but do not show dirt.
    Pockets on everything.

Years ago, tired of looking like a sweaty slob, I had a top made. My dressmaker kinda shrugged his shoulders, but I got a lot of wear out of it.
    It was a zipped polo w/a longer back (like the original Lacostes); princess seams and a kangaroo pocket. The technical fabric was light but substantial enough not to cling. It fit my Rubenesque proportions and I never sat on my shirt while posting.

If I could find something like that now, I'd buy 5 immediately.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

Also, any favorite european brands you guys have that are not easily available here or not at all?

Favorite breeches are Pikeur. I have to order them from Calevo as my local tack store doesn't carry a decent selection. I like the lighter Prestige Micro 2000 material best. I would love to be able to find more breeches in a fun color/accents rather than the usual navy, black etc.

I love polos from Joules...colorful and fun.

is Bling still in? on things other than bridles/browbands? should I bother trying to find blingy saddle pads, belts, gloves and other accessories?

I'm not a blingy person but from what I can tell from the European tack shops/magazines bling is still in. DeNiro makes a selection of blingy tall boots that can be customized. I see bling on everything from gloves, boots, bell boots and helmets.

Another thing missing at my local tack shop is a selection of good quality leather goods. I would rather spend more on a bridle with gorgeous leather instead of the card board, poorly crafted things I see. German or a English leather

My other wish list things would include a unique assortment of stock ties in different fabric and styles. Equestrian inspired belts from a maker such as Brighton, and if there was a way to create a helmet visor that isn't too dorky such as the Da Brim that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageThinker View Post
    This is so educational - I'd love to hear more! I totally agree on technical fabrics and cute decorations, and I love the idea about sizing and flattering designs.

To clarify, I am working on an online store and trying to develop my own brand of horse and rider gear - knowing what you guys want is exactly what I need to know. I will have some imported brands etc but I'd like to have some stuff manufactured myself based on my specs - I was tentatively planning on some cute classy matchy sets, matching rider tops, quality gloves that won't break your bank and a specific fabric composition for polo wraps, my fav in terms of stretchability and "wrapability" qualities - but I have not considered hi tech fabrics for pads all that much - seems like that is a common desire!

Stock ties are a great idea - easy enough to have many cute ones! Just like ear bonnets.

How much would you guys pay for a high tech show coat that is ultra thin, looks "stiff" for its thickness and elegant, flattering design for any shape, very good for hot weather in its wicking properties and weight, comes in many color options of the coat itself and collar and maybe has some other styling options - such a coat is definitely possible to manufacture but it would certainly not be the cheapest - I am wondering how many people want such a coat bad enough to pay a higher price for it.
    Would you pay, lets say $500 for such a cool coat? $600?
    Personally I have always leaned towards buying cheaper coats but they all kinda suck, are hot and most of them look the same and are ultimately made out of the same fabric, few are really worth the extra $$. Cuter looking ones aren't much more "valuable" in my opinion unless the "cut" or design of the fit is better not just the styling embellishments.

What about coolers? What would you like to see improved in the cooler world?

I also love hearing about your favorite colors - I don't have much of a sum to start out with and each color added to the selection makes a huge difference - I would rather pick colors wisely.

What about the fit of breeches? what sort of pockets do you like best? thickness and type of fabric? any other specs?

Would you like to have matching rider apparel available? Maybe a pad with two shades of a certain color could go with two different tops? Any favorites in terms of fleece zip ups, hoodies, jackets, polos, t-shirts?

What about helmets? what do you think of the available selection in the US and what would you desire in that regard?

Final question, what are your thoughts on colorful sheepskin half-pads? would you rather have a few of lesser quality for a reasonable price or would you prefer to buy a high end brand once and be done with it?

And thanks again to everyone who answered, this is huuugely helpful!! I am off to find technically advanced fabrics ))
    More fleece coolers that come all the way to the ears, not just fitted like a turnout blanket!

Breeches pockets that an iPhone in an Otterbox can go into.

I would like an Amreican company to sell the variety of breeches (colors etc) that you can get from Amira and some of the other European companies. I don't order from them unless I am rock solid on what I want because I don't want to deal with overseas returns.

My wish list would include an assortment of different colored full seat breeches in larger sizes for us full figured gals. "Most" brands only go up to 34, but the Fuller Fillies breeches are too big. I'd like to see a strongly woven breech (not thin or too stretchy) - similar to the Tredstone Katrina style that is now discontinued. And with more color options than just black, white, or tan - maybe charcoal/graphite, or espresso/chocolate, slate blue/french navy, etc., with dark colored seats. And with a front zip pocket - slash pockets on the side look terrible! And no pockets on the seat, so I don't have to worry about marring my saddle.

I would also like to see nice winter jackets with 2-way zippers. A lot of the popular brands being sold in tack stores have a 1-way zipper, which makes it really difficult to ride in those jackets.

I'm reviving this thread - I have a new question:

would anyone like "accessories" that would match the horse's outfit? like key-chains, purses, belts etc.

And what do you think of prices? What stuff is wayy to expensive and what do you think is appropriately priced? out of what is available right now?

I personally cannot believe the 350-400 price tags on britches. The nice ones are not that much more expensive to make..come on!

Quote Originally Posted by DressageThinker View Post
    I'm reviving this thread - I have a new question:

And what do you think of prices? What stuff is wayy to expensive and what do you think is appropriately priced? out of what is available right now?

I personally cannot believe the 350-400 price tags on britches. The nice ones are not that much more expensive to make..come on!
    I would not purchase matching accessories for me to match my horse's leg wraps (I'm not carrying the purse when I'm riding). But maybe it is a gift item to buy for a Trainer's Xmas gift or something like that.

I just bought a new horse, and have had to do a lot of shopping very recently. Here are the things I think are worth the money:
    - technical fabric in a show coat (yes, I would spend $500 on this), keep larger sizes in stock (I'm a 10 or a 12 in real clothes, not a skinny mini)
    - technical fabric in everyday riding clothes (yes, I suppose I would match my horse, if I'm trying to look nice that day for others in the ring?)
    - Eskadron with climatex bandages/wraps
    - Back on Track mesh sheet
    - Heavy cooler (Rambo fleece is twice as heavy as the others - feels very substantial, and has been amazing at wicking moisture from damp horse in cold weather. Horse is dry, cooler is damp after 15 minutes.)
    - Lettia saddle pad with the "CoolMax" type of lining.
    - Rambo turnout blankets. These seem worth the extra $, compared to cheaper horse blankets.
    - Good leather. Love the Schleese bridle I just bought and before I purchased it, compared it side-by-side with a german brand in same $400 price range. Schleese was better quality in a visible way.

I don't have many "impulse purchases" when I shop online. I'm very goal oriented. However, if I'm in a brick/mortar tack shop, I will sometimes pick up horsey treats (why give him a carrot or sugar cube, when I can spend $ on cute "cookies?"), or a new grooming tool.
    -