The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Raw Milk

Does anyone use raw milk - either goat or cow? I see a lot of benefits from it and would like to start using it. We are already raising our own grass few sheep and steer. I breed meat goats, but I'm about to go out and start milking my goats until I can find somewhere to buy the milk.

**I'm not looking for milk from a back-yard yahoo** I would like to find a farm locally that does this for a living per se and knows the process and has a history of producing quality raw milk.
    Last edited by LockeMeadows; Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added info
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Just be careful- there are a lot of risks.
    http://www.cdc.gov/features/rawmilk/

5 members found this post helpful.

I realize. I feel there are a lot of risks eating GMO and the more educated I become on the subject, the more I want to raise all of my own food.

3 members found this post helpful.

We had a goat dairy decades ago.
    We sold the milk to people in town that their Dr had recommended they drink goat's milk.
    We used to hold goat shows and had 4H kids with goat projects we helped.
    Then the new laws passed that you had to process all milk to be able to sell it.
    We didn't want to buy all that machinery, so sold our goats to another goat dairy, friends of ours, that did modernize and bought the needed machinery and kept going for some more decades.

One reason we had our small goat dairy is that we used it to rent goats for foals that needed milk supplementation or orphan foals.
    We still kept doing that thru our friends then, but eventually we quit breeding also and just sent people directly to them to get milking goats.

There is a learning curve to milking goats.
    I would strongly suggest you go talk to some locals that have goat dairies and let them get you started right.

If you really want to learn about all kinds of agricultural produce, don't just listen to those that love to bash it all, that is the first 1000 pages you get on google.
    Listen to ALL sides carefully, then decide for yourself what makes sense and what doesn't so much, once you have more to go by than so much that is myths and exaggerations.

4 members found this post helpful.

Rather than drink it completely raw, why can't you pasturize it yourself? You just have to heat it to a certain temperature to kill the harmful bacteria and then cool it and keep it refrigerated. Seems that it would be healthy but also safe if you do it yourself like that.

9 members found this post helpful.

Exactly, KentuckyTBs. I would just like to have _access_ to raw milk without the food police breathing down the farmer's neck. Slap a warning label on it -- whatever. I can be trusted to handle raw meat that I buy at the store, why on earth can I not be trusted with raw milk?

The milk sold in stores has been boiled to death and forced through tiny filters to homogenize it. I *want* the cream to float to the top and I *don't* want the flat boiled taste.

(Actually you can buy raw milk here in Georgia if it's labeled as pet food use only. It just takes visiting the farm to assure yourself of their sanitation procedures and then doing whatever you want with it.)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

More than 30 years ago I would get milk > raw from cow > filtered > refrigerated.

The taste? AMAZINGLY glorious!

We used to steal a little and drink it as kids. We all turned out okay though I wouldn't be surprised if we have some lingering disease Though equally that could be from drinking from a tank for years that had a dead pigeon in it... Children should not be left unsupervised on a farm

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post

The milk sold in stores has been boiled to death and forced through tiny filters to homogenize it. I *want* the cream to float to the top and I *don't* want the flat boiled taste.
    Milk is pasteurized at 161F for 15 seconds, and then rapidly cooled. Not even close to 'boiled to death'.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    Milk is pasteurized at 161F for 15 seconds, and then rapidly cooled. Not even close to 'boiled to death'.
    Everything I can find here is "UHT" or ultra-high temp pasteurized which a quick search says is heated to 280F. All I know is that it _tastes_ flat and boiled.

I've had milk straight from the cow before. This is not even close.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    Everything I can find here is "UHT" or ultra-high temp pasteurized which a quick search says is heated to 280F. All I know is that it _tastes_ flat and boiled.

I've had milk straight from the cow before. This is not even close.
    That explains then why you find that the milk tastes like that...and I agree completely with you. UHT milk is disgusting!!!!! We use the 'Hi-Short' method to pasteurize, which is what I gave the temp and time for. Makes a huge difference to the taste.

No, no raw milk here. I'd only do it if I were personally milking the cow/goat/whatever and handling it all myself.

I'm not a milk expert, but we have 40 apple trees and make tons of cider in the fall. I do not pasteurize it, as it really does damage the taste, in the case of cider, anyway. There have been some serious illnesses, and even deaths, involved with drinking unpasteurized cider...that's why it is now illegal to buy it here other than directly from an orchard (i.e, not in the supermarket or even a farmer's market). I still wouldn't drink any, not pasteurized, that I hadn't made myself. I've done a lot of research and I handle the apples, the cider press and the bottles VERY carefully, my husband thinks I'm crazy , I don't think I could trust someone else to be as careful. Some of the cider illness incidents were because they were pressing drops or storing apples outside or in a barn where birds had free rein...easy to avoid, but I'm not going to rely on someone else to police that stuff. I also don't allow small children or my elderly mother to drink our cider unless it is heated to 160 degrees first.

Yes.
    I have a cow share. 1 gallon per week from 'my' cow.
    Have had it for 20+ years.
    I am healthy as a horse.
    Raw milk is the chief reason.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

2 members found this post helpful.

Drank raw milk for two years from a friend's farm...picked up a gallon every weekend, straight from the tank. Blissfully delicious, and despite my minor lactose intolerance, it never once gave me a stomach ache.

I drink exclusively whole milk from the grocery stores, sourced locally, but even whole milk doesn't compare to the raw milk straight from the tank. I was so heartbroken when she got out of cows.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Drink it at your own risk. To attribute great good health to a single food product that only humans drink past infancy is misguided. The drawbacks to raw milk far outweigh the benefits of pasteurized milk for the vast majority of people today. I'll stick with the pasteurized version. I don't buy anything "ultra-pasteurized" so I can't speak to the taste of that--just creeps me out to eat something that doesn't go bad for months....
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I too have lactose issues and I had 3 bowls of cereal with raw milk today. Not a peep, if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Drank raw milk for two years from a friend's farm...picked up a gallon every weekend, straight from the tank. Blissfully delicious, and despite my minor lactose intolerance, it never once gave me a stomach ache.

I drink exclusively whole milk from the grocery stores, sourced locally, but even whole milk doesn't compare to the raw milk straight from the tank. I was so heartbroken when she got out of cows.

I grew up on raw milk right out of the milk house cooler. I haven't had any in a while but I do have access to RAW milk when I want it.

It is funny how things that used to be good for you now aren't. Meaning alot of states have made it hard or illegal for anyone to sell raw milk or products made with raw milk as it isn't pasturized or vitamins added so people can get bachalism off it. Blah blah blah.

I do grow our own vegtables have an apple tree and access to a pear tree. I do not and will not grow organic even if it means I have to dry my own seeds to plant in the garden.

The only thing we are lacking in is a beef cow. However, my husbands Uncle raises beef cows and hogs so we get most of our meat from him. He raises out a dozen or so pigs and 6 beef cows every year.

Raw milk was a major way that some very very nasty diseases were transmitted, back in the day. Think TB, brucellosis, etc. Pasteurizing kills those organisms.

That said, I do occasionally drink raw milk from a trusted source, and have had milk straight from the cow (I didn't expect it to be warm )
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Well, I'm sure I'm going to be blasted for this, but my son has been sick since birth. He is allergic to everything. Literally. If he is not in a bubble, he can't breathe. He gets multiple breathing treatments per day and still sometimes has to have rescue nebs. This poor child has no life. He can't even go out and pet his pony. We live at the doctor's office and even though I'm an ER RN, we still are extremely frequent fliers. Almost 100% of his problems are respiratory in nature. I am desperately seeking some relief for him. After doing tons and tons and tons of research, I would like to try raw milk. Even if just for a week to two weeks to even see if it makes a difference. I am not one of those people that is a health food nut...although over the past several years, we have started raising more and more of our own meat and this year I do plan on having a garden. I have started to buy local and/or organic when possible. We still eat at McDonalds sometimes. Actually, we eat out quite often. I am a mother that is desperate to help my son and if adding something to his diet could help him, I will do it. Judge me if you will. COTH is notorious for that. I would guess almost all of you would do the same thing if you were in my shoes and had exhausted all other options.

2 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, I figure if you want to drink raw milk you most certainly can. However, pasteurization saved (and continues to) millions of lives since its discovery. Just because "everybody drank it/ate it" didn't mean that it was safe. E. Coli, salmonella, listeria are all risks, mostly for the young, elderly and those with immune issues. The claims of health benefits and sudden miraculous lactose tolerance are suspect (or down right false). Milk is milk, whether you drink it from the teat or heat it to 161 degrees for 15 seconds. The difference is that you won't get ill or die from the pasteurized one, potentially.

This study is very interesting in regards to raw milk and lactose intolerance!

http://grist.org/article/2010-11-01-...doesnt-reduce/
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!