The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    5th wheel plates are easier... only if your never go off road. Consider what is happening if your truck tilts one way while the trailer is tilting the opposite direction. Something is going to give up.
    True, but there are fifth wheel plates that can tilt front/back and slightly side/side. Not all of them are completely stationary...

The whole point of having a toy hauler is to take it off road. So we found a fifth wheel plate that has movement, and it happens to be made by B&W, which was even better!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I had a B&W in my last truck. I like the PopUp in the current truck better-been using it for 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    There are also some that attach to rails installed in the truck bed. Those also let you swap out the gooseneck for a fifth wheel hitch if you have a camper or something.
    This is what we have, as the truck already had the rails and fifth wheel hitch installed when we bought it. Easy peasy.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I've had both. Had the plate in the bed for almost 10 years with my old truck, and have a B&W in my new truck (for about a year and a half). Absolutely prefer the B&W by far over the plate, and I don't find it that hard to flip and latch, it just takes a minute. The plate in the bed was a pain because though the truck was primarily used for towing, I also occasionally hauled gravel or mulch for the farm and unloading was terrible with that plate. I also felt like debris and moisture could be retained under the plate and promote rust.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

The plate also raises the hitch height a couple of inches. With todays trucks and trailers, every inch counts if you want to pull a level trailer. Not many people do.

I use my truck for more than just pulling, so a plate would be a no-go for me.

I like the PopUp because I don't have to get in and out of the bed.

http://popuphitch.com/