The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2008 Chevy 2500 Duramax

Anyone have one? What is your opinion? Thoughts?

I work for an Ag company, they give us first chance at the fleet trucks that are being phased out. So I've put my name in on a 2008 Chevy Duramax 2500, 4x4, 4 door, short bed, and already set up to haul. It's got close to 200k miles on it which is why they are replacing it. Has normal wear and tear for a 200k truck.

I have a car as a daily driver so this would only be used for hauling and farm use. Current trailer is a 2 horse alum bp, but will probably be getting a 2-3 horse gn w/weekender package before too long.

I've always had one ton Dodge diesels and have been hauling with 1/2 ton trucks (Dodge, Ford, and Chevy) for the past few years. I'd love to get another dodge but this truck is priced right and I honestly don't need a ton truck right now.

I have a 2009 Duramax with the same specs as yours. Mine is an "Alaska Edition" which just means it has the same creature comfort specs as a Denali. It tows whatever I hook to it without an issue (even if I am overweight at 15K - whoops!). It has been on every road in Alaska - even the "Haul Road" of Ice Road Truckers in winter 2010. I only have about 36K miles on it, but the majority of those miles have been abusive, on rough roads, hauling something, and at least 10K of those miles were spent in 4WD. It still looks and performs like the day I drove it new off the lot in Alaska...

The ONLY drawback to it is that it has a very stiff turn radius. Normal parking lots can be a PITA, not because it won't fit, but because it simply cannot turn on a time. I can squeeze my husband's Dodge dually into spots on the 1st try, while my Duramax requires 2-3 pull forward-back up attempts. It makes me look like I cannot park...

My BIL has a '04 Duramax as a farm/work/commuter truck. He has over 200K on it. It's quite dusty and dirty inside, as his farm is 1000+ acres, but it still works great. He's never done anything to it other than routine maintenance, and typical parts that wear out with mileage.

Thanks for the insight! Our current tow vehicle is a 2000 Suburban with 225k miles on it and while it's still a great vehicle we need something a little beefier. It's starting to complain about the heavy long distance loads. However the old suburban still hauls better than my 07 1500 Hemi and 09 F150. So I'm hoping I'll love the Duramax as I don't plan on getting another truck for a few years... I have other things I'd like to spend my money on.

It seems like a nice truck, although I haven't driven it yet. The downside to buying fleet vehicles from work is not being able to test drive them, although they make up for it with knowing the complete truck history and the price.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I bought my Duramax 3500 13 years ago. I might have to get another one in maybe another 10 years.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've got an '08 3500 Duramax long bed, otherwise otherwise same as yours. In just under 60,000 miles there have been three "gripes":

Passenger door window switch failed (could still control window with driver's door switch).

Sound system speaker in driver's door failed.

The cover on the passenger side vanity mirror has a broken spring.

Nothing else in engine, drive train, electrical system, auxiliary systems, etc.

When we are FULLY loaded for a long trip with four horses we are within 200 lb. of our max. We do that once a year.

It's been an outstanding truck.

The issue we are watching for? I'm told that the Duramax has a history of fuel injector failure sometime between 125,000 and 150,000 miles. That will be a $4000 job (more or less) when it occurs. I've started putting aside $125/mo. to cover that when it happens. Since I barely put 12,000 mi./yr. on the truck I've got some time!

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

My injectors lasted 13 years and 214,000 miles. Price for the complete injector install kit was $1326 from Pensacola Diesel. You have to send the cores back. The only place around here was the dealer who wanted 5K+ for the swap. The way the math worked out, it was worth a days work for me to do it myself. It was kind of tedious, but not hard. I found a how-to thread with pictures on a Forums.

It would not keep me from buying another one of these trucks.

Great to know about the injectors. It's had a couple sensors? (maybe not the sensors but it was something electric) replaced around the injectors. I did ask the guy that's been driving it yesterday about the injectors and he said they were fine.

It does have an oil leak somewhere in the front end, but as long as I keep an eye on the oil levels then it should be fine. That doesn't really bother me as it's a high mile diesel, they will leak a little oil over time.

The fiancé is very mechanically inclined so as long as it doesn't have any electrical issues he should be able to fix anything mechanical, or at least diagnose it.

I'm glad that everyone I've talked to that uses one of these to haul horses with has recommended these trucks, I have yet to hear anything bad about them. Thankfully... looks like we may be able to bring it home this week May have to take the horses on a trailer ride this weekend

Oil leak in the frontend raises a big question. If there is a leaking injector, it can put fuel in the crankcase, and once thinned out by diesel fuel, it can run out of the front seal. If it's leaking out of an engine seal, I'd pass, unless they will knock off several thousand dollars.

Pull the dipstick, and drip some of the oil on a paper towel. If there is fuel in the oil, it will separate as the fuel is wicked out away from the thicker oil, so you end up with a lighter colored ring around the darker oil in the middle.

If there is fuel in the oil, I'd offer 4 thousand less than the asking price, and put a new injector kit in it.

Our 2009 Duramax Diesel 3/4 ton has been a total lemon. In 2013 alone we spent $9,000 in repair bills on that piece of junk. Our goal in 2014 is to get rid of it. That being said you can be the unlucky person who winds up with a lemon from any truck maker and I realize many people have been happy with their Duramax trucks. If you have access to the full maintenance records from your company and things look reasonable then I would probably buy it full expecting at that mileage that it is going to need some TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    If there is fuel in the oil, I'd offer 4 thousand less than the asking price, and put a new injector kit in it.
    I'll do the dipstick test and see what it does... but I'm not even paying $4000 for this truck so I'm quite 'ok' with having to possibly do some fixing on it...

If it wasn't a racehorse deal I'd be shopping for an old Cummings. But This will be the third truck I've bought this way from work all have been decent trucks with higher highway miles and very affordable.

At that price, I don't think you can go wrong. Don't run it if it's putting fuel in the oil though. A new motor is ten grand. I wouldn't take 20 for my 13 year old one.