The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Types of GN hitches

It looks like I may be upgrading from a BP to a GN sooner than expected. However, I don't know the first thing about GN hitches, other than that there seem to be some basic styles-- pop-up and fixed? Above the bed vs below the bed?

Anyone out there who can give me some basic pointers re: types of GN hitch styles and the advantages/disadvantages of each?
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

B&W turnover hitch is what was recommended to me, and I still love it 13 years later.

2 members found this post helpful.

I "thought" I was getting a turnover that was on the hinge/plate but instead got the turnover that you have to pull a lever under the rear wheel well to release. It is such a pain as it is hard to get the lever in the right place and when it is muddy under the truck (and in FL when isn't it), I get filty trying to pull the lever. Other than that it is fine though. I am happy I have a flip over because it is nice to have a flat bed when I need it, but I really wish I had the one on the plate like my trainer has.

I have a B&W turnover hitch and love it.

Another vote for B&W. I have had them in all of my trucks and they are trustworthy and built to last.

I have had B&W turnover hitches. Honestly I prefer the flat plate, I have only ever taken my hitch out once, ever. Over half the time I am on the road I am hauling. But due to the frames or something with my last two, a turnover hitch was my only option.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

I have the B&W turnover hitch. The one that PoohLP has; you have to pull out a lever to release the ball.

I only flipped it into the 'up' position and doubt I will ever flip it the other way. I am sure for the once in a blue moon that I need the flat bed, it will be nice, but I don't see how having a fixed ball would be a huge inconvenience.

1 members found this post helpful.

Don't buy any other than a B & W. They are the industry standard. Cheapest price & fastest shipping = www.tweetys.com
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

In 1979, we purchased a used small commercial trailer (16 foot deck gooseneck), fully insulated (had a reefer unit on it at one point) to turn into a horse trailer. It came with the full hitch and truck deck. It is a plate hitch, not a ball hitch. It is old. I still have it. It is massive, it is the same hitch that you see on big rigs, semis. A trusted heavy duty mechanic remarked that this hitch would still be hitched if the rig drove off the side of a mountain, and bounced a few times on the way down. I like that. I currently have it mounted below the level of my truck deck, so that my truck deck is cut out, horseshoe shaped. My truck is a flat deck. I have a slider piece that slides into the space, making a flat deck for my truck. I like plate hitches better than ball hitches. They are stronger, they are very easy to hitch up. You just back into them, and the jaws close. To open the jaws, pull the release. So there is an alternate view for you.

B&W.

B+W ... It's a DIY install. No welding needed. The hardest task is going at a pristine truck bed with a 4 inch diameter hole saw. Measure twice or more ... Cut once.

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    It looks like I may be upgrading from a BP to a GN sooner than expected. However, I don't know the first thing about GN hitches, other than that there seem to be some basic styles-- pop-up and fixed? Above the bed vs below the bed?

Anyone out there who can give me some basic pointers re: types of GN hitch styles and the advantages/disadvantages of each?
    What year , make and model of truck?

'94 Chevy 2500, V8, 5.7L. Long bed, single cab. The truck is basically ONLY used for hauling a horse trailer, 2-3x/month.

It's NOT 4WD, so part of my reasoning for getting a GN is that it'll be a bit better for not getting stuck. (Not that I HAVE gotten stuck anywhere yet; I'm super-careful re: where I go with it.)
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I have the B&W turnover with the lever you pull to turn it over. I love the turnover option although the lever is inconvenient at times. This is my second one so obviously I don't have many complaints.

I do NOT like the B&W turnover hitch in the new truck, but it's all the trailer place would install. Specifically, I don't like that the ball can be completely removed. And the lever in the wheel well is a pain. I've forgotten to lock it after climbing out of the truck bed!!

My old truck has one that flips up, but never gets detached from the truck. The pin that holds it is recessed into the plate, so you do everything right there in the truck bed. I like that one *much* better.

There are also some that attach to rails installed in the truck bed. Those also let you swap out the gooseneck for a fifth wheel hitch if you have a camper or something.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

etrailer.com (my preferred trailer supply place) has the B&W ones that most here are suggesting, but also the style I think wsmoak may be describing. Honestly I'm not sure I'm keen on having a lever in the wheel well; I think I would prefer the other kind. http://www.etrailer.com/g-1994_Chevr...yle=8+Foot+Bed
    *friend of bar.ka

Different strokes for different folks...
    There's many a reason the B+W is thought so highly. Having the operating controls in the bed means more openings for dirt & stuff to fall in... jamming the works. There is nothing more frustrating than a balky mechanism. Well ... maybe a mule !

cnvh - we have a B&W on our F-250. You can come see it down in here Etown. I installed it myself and if you want to borrow the hole saw you're welcome to.

It's true that it can be jammed up with mud and dirt a little bit, but I usually run with it down and cover over the opening in the bedliner with duct tape. That makes things pretty easy to handle.
    Last edited by DHCarrotfeeder; Jan. 24, 2014 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    There are also some that attach to rails installed in the truck bed. Those also let you swap out the gooseneck for a fifth wheel hitch if you have a camper or something.
    You don't need rails... The B&W company also has a fifth wheel hitch that sets into the hole that the gooseneck ball is in. It is called a Companion and is rated at 18K. I think they have also come out with a 20K Companion and maybe even a slider model now.

We are on our 4th B&W hitch - '99 Dodge dually, then 04' Dodge dually and currently have one in our '10 Dodge dually and '09 GMC 2500. We also have a Companion to pull our 18K toyhauler.

The B&W company is awesome - they recently upgraded certain aspects of their Companion hitch. We bought ours in 2007, but called the company to ask if we could purchase an upgrade kit - instead, they mailed it out to us, no charge.

We'll never have anything BUT B&W!

To the OP - you can haul a horse trailer on a fifth wheel plate, if you feel like going that route. All you need to do is drop the gooseneck hitch out of the trailer, and replace it with a kingpin hitch. We've tried it, but were unable to because the kingpin made the trailer haul nose high. I am adamant about my trailers being perfectly level, so it was a no-go, but it was LOTS easier to hitch up!

Quote Originally Posted by moving to dc View Post
    To the OP - you can haul a horse trailer on a fifth wheel plate, if you feel like going that route. All you need to do is drop the gooseneck hitch out of the trailer, and replace it with a kingpin hitch. .... so it was a no-go, but it was LOTS easier to hitch up!
    5th wheel plates are easier... only if your never go off road. Consider what is happening if your truck tilts one way while the trailer is tilting the opposite direction. Something is going to give up.