The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mounting block designs

Any one have any plans for a good, big solid mounting block? Or have you seen any photos of 'dream' mounting blocks?

I am now 5 months pregnant and finding it difficult clambering up onto my 17.3hh monster and feeling way too unstable on an up-turned bucket!

Constructing a sturdy mounting block is exactly the same as building a short stairway...with a landing at the top. You can even get pre-cut risers at the home center to speed things up. If you can live with something about 3' wide by about 4' long, it will give you maximum stability and "not go anywhere" you don't want it to move to.

We have one in the indoor at the barn we board at that's build like this and it's absolutely my preferred mounting location, both for height and more importantly, stability. Sometimes the blown-plastic three step mounting block out in the arena tips over when a horse moves suddenly while a rider is mounting and I don't like that at all!

1 members found this post helpful.

I was at a barn picking up a new horse recently, and they had one made of concrete. It was at least 3' high. I don't think you can get any more sturdy then that.

Yea, concrete isn't going to move very easily! Not very practical as a DIY project, however. Maybe it was a pre-cast stairs/landing?

Here is a Taj-Mahal of mounting blocks.
    This one is in a riding center in Indiana.
    Maybe this will help you get ideas:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600_June_10,_2012_037.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	39298  

We had a big wood one where I boarded, and it was nice, but impractical. It had stairs up to a platform. Problem being, my horse was short, so to use it I had to try to gently drop down onto her. I would think something like a set of stairs, but with the stairs being deeper than normal, would be ideal. That way you can walk up the stairs to find the right height for the horse you want to mount.
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Here is a Taj-Mahal of mounting blocks.
    This one is in a riding center in Indiana.
    Maybe this will help you get ideas:
    Having ridden horses that weren't good for mounting, I would be the person that dies in that picture. Yes, I know they should be good for mounting, but I've ridden two OTTBs that if they weren't moving forward, danced (one flew) backward, until they were retrained. That looks like a great idea for a therapeutic program though!

I boarded at a facility with a big platform (just on one side) and I didn't like it. I liked Jim's idea and think this summer I will build one out of pressure treated pre-made deck steps. It would be nice to have storage in it though. I haven't figured out how to make a hinged lid waterproof...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Having ridden horses that weren't good for mounting, I would be the person thIt would be nice to have storage in it though. I haven't figured out how to make a hinged lid waterproof...
    'Tis a difficult thing, that...

That said, you could make the top surface out of PT plywood (slightly sloped) and finish it with an anti-skid coating of some kind. It wouldn't be "perfectly waterproof", but the slight slope would let water run off and the coating would seal it a bit while keeping it safe to walk on/mount from. Or don't worry about the top being totally waterproof and just size things so you can put a covered plastic bin inside for storage.

Ya gotta "think outside of the mounting block"

I got mine from a mobile home place. They usually have different sizes. The three step is the perfect height. http://www.completemobilehomesupply.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=stairs05

That's a nice solution from a design perspective, pds, although the cost of materials would be a fraction of what they are charging in your link.

We had a similar mounting block to the one pds has linked, just with two steps. I hated it, made me so nervous every time I got up onto the young horses and they were moving about - if they knocked it over, got a leg through the steps, I could see very bad things happening.

I'd love a mounting 'block' like this:
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...240279a39c.jpg

I think it belongs to Martha Stewart actually! But we've only just moved to this place, haven't even put the arena in yet, so I think that will have to wait!

half*pass, if the step construction is wide enough, it's not going to get knocked over. This is the issue I have with the typical blown-plastic mounting blocks...I find them very unstable since they are light and narrow. Something that's wider and deeper than it is tall will not get knocked over easily, if at all.

But yea...that "built in" stone setup you linked to is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by half*pass View Post
    I'd love a mounting 'block' like this:
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...240279a39c.jpg

I think it belongs to Martha Stewart actually!
    That's really pretty, but I am such a klutz, I could sooo see myself getting an ankle twisted in there and dying
    Quarry Rat

Any one have any plans for a good, big solid mounting block? Or have you seen any photos of 'dream' mounting blocks?

I am now 5 months pregnant and finding it difficult clambering up onto my 17.3hh monster and feeling way too unstable on an up-turned bucket!
    I have a feeling that you're looking for home-made.. Can't help you there.

But when I first got Holly, I wasn't really up to mounting without a block and was nervous about it, so bought the biggist one I could. It's like the one at the barn I was taking lessons at. (I'm not sure if mine is the same brand as this image, but they look the same).

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/ho...FYqDfgodI20AKQ

That big one is heavy, and is sort of a pain to move. I haven't measured Holly, but was told that she was about 15.2, and I can mount without stirrups at all from the top of that big one. I'd just stand up there and throw my leg over.

I'm a little better now, and currenty use the grooming/mounting box with stirrup.

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/cds/PROD/4000/GS1640
    Founding Member: Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique

When my grandmother's perfume bottle broke, my young second cousin said: "Nana! You smell like a French HORSE!"

DH made this for my trainer. The stair treads are purchased but the risers he made. I can get measurements from DH if interested.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

My trainer wanted something for the middle aged women to use to mount in the winter when everybody is bundled up and not real flexible.

I am told they love it. I think they all use it to get off on after the ride when their feet are frozen.

The original plans were to screw the steps to the main square but it hooks on well enough there was no need. It also makes it a little more portable. This sucker is heavy and stable.

We did consider putting stairs at both sides but decided that only on one side was better. Walk up with horse on right. If he goes to far just stay on the platform and keep turning in a circle and try on the next two sides.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I bought my own mounting block when we first moved to the b/o's brand new facility and before she built the huge mounting ramp and "block" in the indoor. Now everyone uses it in the outdoor, which is where I leave it.

It is a 3-step block but is much higher than the ones I've seen in the tack catalogs. It comes from the Todd company, in Rhode Island I think. They make a lot of plastic stuff for the boating industry, and I suspect it is actually a 3-step block to make it easier to step aboard your yacht. It was expensive, but well worth it, because it's the only one I've seen that gets my 5'2" on my 16hh gelding.

Thought I would share with you all what I made this afternoon. I found some big concrete blocks in one of our farm sheds and decided to see how they would go as steps. I'll properly fix them all together when the weather gets warmer, but even with just them stacked as they are it is really very stable. The top step is at knee height, makes it so much easier to get my no-longer-so-flexible pregnant self up onto monster sized horses!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...14786544_n.jpg

That's really cool. Ours is cinder blocks, stacked slightly differently, but the BM built a wooden frame around each level, so they can't separate. I guess if you really wanted to make it even more stable, you could put a vertical piece of wood attaching the three levels together. When we moved the barn, I was lost at mounting (I'm one of the middle aged, non flexible ones, lol), until he built a new one at the new barn.

Oh, and I have used it for dismounting also.

http://www.stableoutfitters.com/prod_port_mount_blk.php

Here's a nice wooden one, but not worth the price IMO. I've debated creating something similar to keep in our trailer so it takes up less space, but haven't done so yet.

Thought I would share with you all what I made this afternoon. I found some big concrete blocks in one of our farm sheds and decided to see how they would go as steps. I'll properly fix them all together when the weather gets warmer, but even with just them stacked as they are it is really very stable. The top step is at knee height, makes it so much easier to get my no-longer-so-flexible pregnant self up onto monster sized horses!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...14786544_n.jpg
    Very nice! It also caters to different size riders / horses.

I'm lucky to have access to sturdy wooden mounting blocks with stairs up to, and down from, a wide platform. They are high enough that I don't need stirrups to get on my mare (she's 15.2h), I love it.
    Otherwise, I am pretty good at finding the "mounting block" feature in random objects: side of horse trailer, jump, bench, pile of sand...anything goes.

When I was pregnant I piled up buckets to get on my horse. It worked fine for me (as well as getting OFF the horse, which, at 8 months pregnant, was the hardest) but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a very strong sense of balance
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!