The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have found the Devoucoux Biarritz dressage saddle to be extremely comfy. I can even get up out of the tack and jump small obstacles in it if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by batman the horse View Post
    I have found the Devoucoux Biarritz dressage saddle to be extremely comfy. I can even get up out of the tack and jump small obstacles in it if I need to.
    Substantially out of my price range

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    OP- I see you are in Elkon. A trip up to West Chester isn't that bad and Rick's Heritage has a ton of used dressage saddles. You can at least start by sitting on a bunch.
    http://www.saddlesource.com/dressage.html
    There is one employee that is very helpful and knowledgeable about the saddles but I cannot remember her name.
    I am sure if you call Rick's and you let them know that you will need some help with the saddles they can let you know when she will be there.
    I don't know if you brought wither tracings and pictures if she can help you narrow things down further. But you can always ask before you make the trip.
    I wonder if they'd just let me park Juice in the parking lot and try the saddles on him! He'd stand quietly for it.

There are also hardly any 18 inches. I'm 5"3 and not huge.. who are all these people that can fit into 17 inch saddles?

3 members found this post helpful.

Try looking for an older stubben. They don't have lots of extra padding/blocks/etc, the seats are deep enough without being too deep and they tend to fit everything. Plus they hold up well and you can find them used very reasonably priced.

I lucked into mine and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    I wonder if they'd just let me park Juice in the parking lot and try the saddles on him! He'd stand quietly for it.

There are also hardly any 18 inches. I'm 5"3 and not huge.. who are all these people that can fit into 17 inch saddles?
    Maybe you need a smaller saddle. 18 seems huge for someone who is 5'3 and slim to average. I'm 5'5 and am very comfortable in a 17 as are people at my barn who are taller, more blessed in padding and longer-legged than me.

Quote Originally Posted by PoohLP View Post
    Maybe you need a smaller saddle. 18 seems huge for someone who is 5'3 and slim to average. I'm 5'5 and am very comfortable in a 17 as are people at my barn who are taller, more blessed in padding and longer-legged than me.
    I'm not slim.. I've got some junk in my trunk, but I'm not obese

Quote Originally Posted by TBFAN View Post
    I second the recommendation for an older Albion. I love the SL, if you can find a used one. Older Albions also usually have a tree shape that is better suited to a TB build, and you really need to focus on what fits your horse as well.

Sorry you haven't had a good saddle fitter experience. I try to stay away from those selling a particular brand. If you can find one and they are properly credentialed, they are worth their weight in gold, IME.
    As a former rep for Albion saddles, I am going to say that the really older Albions are known for their wide or moderate twists. Stay far, far away from any of the Comfort models, those are super-wide. The old SL was narrower, but for a true lover of a narrow twist, even that was too wide if the horse was wider than a M tree.

I have absolutely no idea what is current in the various line ups, but yellowbritches is a good one to chat with, she's got the in at MTE so sees dozens of saddles. I quit doing any sort of saddle sales over a decade ago.

1 members found this post helpful.

I should just sit in all the dressage saddles tomorrow and make notes. It's slow enough this week...what else am I going to do!?!

What I meant is that with your height, unless you have a whole lotta junk in the trunk, which I assumed you didn't since you said you weren't huge, that a 17 or 17.5 might be a better fit than an 18. I know very few women who truly need an 18 unless they are either quite tall (over 5'8 at least) or heavier than average (closer to 200 than 150) or both.

Great buy on CL for a Custom Saddlery Steffen Peters model: http://bham.craigslist.org/grd/4295447729.html
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

What I meant is that with your height, unless you have a whole lotta junk in the trunk, which I assumed you didn't since you said you weren't huge, that a 17 or 17.5 might be a better fit than an 18. I know very few women who truly need an 18 unless they are either quite tall (over 5'8 at least) or heavier than average (closer to 200 than 150) or both.
    Although it really depends on the saddle. Often the seat size is more and issue of how the rider is built. If you have long thighs for example, even if not tall, a rider may need a larger seat size. Also, some deeper dressage saddles may feel to locked in.

My experience has been the opposite...I know a lot more riders more comfortable from a balance and leg position in 18+ than smaller saddles.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

2 members found this post helpful.

They used to have a round pen in the parking lot just for that. I think the liability concerns became to great. They are on a road that is pretty busy and a loose horse would be a disaster.

At one point I was considering trailering Finnegan there and just putting the saddles on in the trailer. I could tell within minutes if we were close or not and if it was worth taking riding in. I figured I could set the trailer up as a box stall so there was room.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I should just sit in all the dressage saddles tomorrow and make notes. It's slow enough this week...what else am I going to do!?!
    Where do you work YB?

I was always told that you go up a size for a dressage saddle, but maybe I'll try some 17.5 s.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Although it really depends on the saddle. Often the seat size is more and issue of how the rider is built. If you have long thighs for example, even if not tall, a rider may need a larger seat size. Also, some deeper dressage saddles may feel to locked in.

My experience has been the opposite...I know a lot more riders more comfortable from a balance and leg position in 18+ than smaller saddles.

ya shop around for a narrow twist.

I ride in a Vega. It's the most narrow I could find.
    Also, the Arthur Kottas is a narrow twist...it was a really nice saddle. Too deep for me though. I'm huge and the really deep seats end up being to small.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Have you tried sitting in a Schleese? The Schleese website says that they design their saddles with narrow twists because most women prefer that. I need a pretty narrow twist or I feel like my hips are falling out of their sockets, and I really like the one I've been borrowing from my horse's owner. I think she got hers used; might be worth trying one and then see if you can find one for cheaper if you like it.

I was always told that you go up a size for a dressage saddle, but maybe I'll try some 17.5 s.
    This!^ I was starting to wonder if they've changed the sizing on saddles in the last 20 yrs. I was always told to go up AT LEAST 1/2 a size and this was in the 80's before SUPER deep seats and huge blocks. I've been browsing Ebay and there are more 17" dressage saddles than anything. I thought maybe this was because people bought them, rode in them a while, and then thought, "Dang! I wish I would have bought this saddle a size larger!"
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

So I went and sat in a bunch today....I think it made my problems worse.

Upon further analyzing my discomfort I found that a lot of saddles not only made me feel like I was being split in two... some made me feel like I was riding in a position such as "crotch smashing into pommel" , others really pressed into my seat bones, like really bad pressure on the outer side of each cheek.

A person at the store also said that for as short as I am, my hip to knee is really long, so a lot of the flaps looked funky.

I just don't get it. I can sit in 20 jump saddles and be perfectly happy in 19 of them, yet I can't find a dressage saddle that doesn't make me worry about spending a 4 min. test in it.

Quote Originally Posted by RockstarPony View Post
    Have you tried sitting in a Schleese? The Schleese website says that they design their saddles with narrow twists because most women prefer that. I need a pretty narrow twist or I feel like my hips are falling out of their sockets, and I really like the one I've been borrowing from my horse's owner. I think she got hers used; might be worth trying one and then see if you can find one for cheaper if you like it.
    My Schleese Jane Savoie is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden in. I used to experience discomfort and soreness during and after dressage schooling. I figured that was standard. Then I bought a used Schleese (mainly to protect my horse's spinal health.) Little did I know it was going to help my position and comfort immensely. Definitely recommend it!

Meredith -- I am not really "short" but at 5'6" I've got a longer thigh (knee to hip) ratio than a friend that is male and is 6'2", plus I've had wide horses, which will make even a narrow twist saddle feel wide. Despite being on the plumper side of pleasantly plump, I need a really, really narrow twist -- like, I'm happiest if it feels like I'm sitting on a 2x4 turned upward.

So, not only do I have to find a dressage saddle that has a narrow twist, even on a wide horse, but I have to also find something where the flap is constructed forward enough that my leg isn't hanging over. My Albion SLKs have been ok, but the only two dressage saddles that I've ever felt delighted to sit in on my wide horses have been both of the Frank Baines. For the MN tree, I have an Omni, and for the new one -- well, I'm horribly embarrassed to say that it is their brand new saddle and isn't on the web site and I cannot remember the name of it. <sigh> But, it truly felt as is the heavens opened and the angels sang when I sat in the 17.5 demo. I'm awaiting the 18" demo so that we can decide where the blocks go, etc. before I order one.

Trumbull Mountain carries them and they are also in several tack stores around -- if you didn't get to sit in one of those, it might be worth a shot, as we may be built somewhat alike, though I'm certain I'm fluffier! Pelham Saddlery appears to have a few used ones, though I cannot get the website to load in order to be able to see it. Grrrr.

In any event, just a thought -- I didn't want to have to buy a new saddle, but the feeling I got when I sat in the demo was so fabulous I'm willing to beg, borrow, steal, whatever -- sad, huh?

There has to be a solution for you out there somewhere!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap