The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Update.

Gloria, you are exactly right about the length of the ramp-it is 34" x 68" wide.

I have perused both the Hawk mat and the Red Barn mat sold at Lumber 2.

The hawk comes in 72" width sold by linear foot for $28.99.

The red barn comes in 60" sections for $19.99.

According to the customer service people I spoke with at both places, I think that the red barn might be grippier. I could be wrong.

Based on the dimensions of the mat and the ramp, I think the hawk would cost $84 for 3 feet and the red barn $120 for 6 feet as I have to place it lengthwise I believe.

I wish I could see the mats side by side.

Any thoughts before I order? I am leaning toward the red barn because it seems grippier.

Has anyone seen them both?

ETA: I'm ordering both mats and will pick whichever is better. sigh.

I'm also replacing the 2 or 2.5 inch bumpers with 4 inch bumpers.

Labor for the mat (ripping up the old, laying down the new with glue and screw) will cost me $375 approx. $113/hr labor. WOW.

Any thoughts? I am going I do this and if it doesn't work, trailer goes. But I am hopeful.
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Feb. 3, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

For that price I would be doing the uninstall and install new mat myself. It shouldn't be that hard.

Is this the same Red Barn you are talking about?
    http://martinranchsupply.com/content...n-trailer-mats
    If so, it looks like they are available as 4'X6' as one mat and that should cover your ramp for less than either of the prices listed in your post- unless shipping is really high. I wish it had a close up photo. I think this on is more like a stall mat and not as grippy.

I have only seen the Hawk mat in person so am no help so I am no help with which one to get. The Hawk is very grippy. Friend has a Hawk. I have Trail-et with the same style mat. I have had the Trail-et for 12 years and not had any problems with it being slippery.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Cocoa Mats are Slick....we used to use them on Bug Rigs until more horses lied coming off and going up....got better rubber mat.
    I think just getting a new ramp with well placed springs will be the best thing..

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    For that price I would be doing the uninstall and install new mat myself. It shouldn't be that hard.

Is this the same Red Barn you are talking about?
    http://martinranchsupply.com/content...n-trailer-mats
    If so, it looks like they are available as 4'X6' as one mat and that should cover your ramp for less than either of the prices listed in your post- unless shipping is really high. I wish it had a close up photo. I think this on is more like a stall mat and not as grippy.

I have only seen the Hawk mat in person so am no help so I am no help with which one to get. The Hawk is very grippy. Friend has a Hawk. I have Trail-et with the same style mat. I have had the Trail-et for 12 years and not had any problems with it being slippery.
    Thanks! The Red Barn mat isn't on the page that you linked - I looked for it there, too. It's more spiky than any of the ones that are shown there.

I have considered doing it myself, as I think that price is insane. They are going to glue and screw it down, and I don't know what pulling up the old will entail...

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Cocoa Mats are Slick....we used to use them on Bug Rigs until more horses lied coming off and going up....got better rubber mat.
    I think just getting a new ramp with well placed springs will be the best thing..
    Thanks! I too think that the best option would be a new ramp.

I ordered the Hawk mat today and it should arrive in 2-3 days. The Hawk customer service person was ok, but the second guy I spoke with was AWESOME and told me about the mat. He said that it's made like conveyor belt (I think someone here mentioned this or something similar). I am going to look it over before installing.

We are going to try this fairly inexpensive fix, and if it doesn't work, we will sell the trailer. For what I am told I would put into it with a new door, I think it would be a better option to sell it and buy a new one, unfortunately.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

I think you'll be very happy with the Hawk mat!

1 members found this post helpful.

A ramp isn't difficult to build and install. I did a new one for my old trailer myself. As I was learning to weld. That quote is absolutely nuts. Mine is 1.5" or 2" heavy duty tube steel with heavy duty grating welded in instead of using plywood. Its very heave and needed 2 sets of springs and has to be physically held down due to the springs required to be able to lift it, but it was a simple build and install and its not going anywhere any time soon. We are actually going to remove it from that trailer to put on DHs trailer due to structural issues in the front of my trailer.

I can send you photos if you would like. Any welding shop can do it if its a steel trailer. Aluminum would be pricier and some welding shops may not have the equipment to weld aluminum.

Update!

The Hawk mat was shipped to our trailer repair place but they didn't receive it in a timely enough fashion to do anything before the first show. So, I picked up the mat and took it to the barn so that my trainer could look at it.

My trainer told me one day to go look at the trailer...

It had all been done. I have a wonderful, wonderful trainer in every way and am so fortunate.

Here it is - it's PERFECT and we have had zero issues.

Thanks so much for all of your help - it is screwed down to the other part, right on top. It's solid and secure.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/ri...76221759228984

This was a very inexpensive fix to a problem that would otherwise have ended in my selling the trailer. Thanks for your help and advice from everyone!

Looks great
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Glad that the problem is solved and horsie is no longer slipping!