The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default HPV/Gardasil - Can't find the other thread

Couldn't seem to find the other thread about HPV/Gardasil vaccine...

No idea if this is legit or not, but interesting read none the less.

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/lead-...ly-scam_012014

That's old news. Here's a CBS report. I have to say, anthropologist friends who work for a medical school will not have their daughters vaccinated.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gardasil...er-speaks-out/
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyTBs View Post

If you have a more legit website to link to than the "daily sheeple", that would be nice.

Otherwise, I direct everyone to Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/gardasil.asp

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    If you have a more legit website to link to than the "daily sheeple", that would be nice.

Otherwise, I direct everyone to Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/gardasil.asp
    Well, if we're going to be clear, let's be clear.
    Your post might lead people to assume that the interview didn't happen, or wasn't accurate. The Snopes claim is:

Claim: The Gardasil HPV vaccine has been proved to have caused the deaths of 32 women.

False.

and the detail says:

Although this information is accurate in a strictly literal sense, it is a misleading presentation of raw data that does not in itself establish a causal connection between Gardasil and the posited medical dangers.

Snopes is simply explaining that adverse reactions do not signify a direct causal relationship, but if you don't read it, you might assume that the entire CBS interview was fake. Apparently 32 women *have* died, but it is not proven that the vaccine was the cause.

For a more legit website, maybe check the post above yours from CBS.

1 members found this post helpful.

LauraKY - Thank you! It just popped up in my newsfeed today and I didn't even look at the date. I won't get my daughter vaccinated against it when she is old enough... and I didn't get vaccinated myself.

LauraKY - Thank you! It just popped up in my newsfeed today and I didn't even look at the date. I won't get my daughter vaccinated against it when she is old enough... and I didn't get vaccinated myself.
    Please involve your daughter in that decision.

I chose not to get the vaccine because I chose abstinence until marriage. My sister chose to get the vaccine because she does not hold those same religious beliefs.

Neither of us is positive for HPV And we chose the correct option for our lifestyles.

All vaccines carry risks.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by independentlyawesome View Post
    Please involve your daughter in that decision.

I chose not to get the vaccine because I chose abstinence until marriage. My sister chose to get the vaccine because she does not hold those same religious beliefs.

Neither of us is positive for HPV And we chose the correct option for our lifestyles.

All vaccines carry risks.
    Yes, but if the reports (and my friends) are accurate, there is as much risk from the vaccine as from the possibility of death from the disease.

KentuckyTBs just keep an eye on the current reports...there may end up being less risk from the vaccine or more.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I chose to get the vaccine. I didn't have any side effects, other than some soreness. It's a personal decision. I chose it for my reproductive health - as a sexually active young woman.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Thread 1
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ccine-for-kids

Thread 2
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...il-HPV-vaccine

Yet another antivaccine meme rises from the grave again: No, Diane Harper doesn’t hate Gardasil

Anal Cancer: everything you didn't know you never wanted to ask:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ht=anal+cancer
    Last edited by HighFlyinBey++; Jan. 20, 2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added a link to my cancer thread
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I chose to not get the vaccine, reason being a huge number of people already have HPV, they aren't doing pap smears for women under I think 23 anymore, I would use protection when having sex, and the vaccine doesn't cover all of the strains. One of my friends actually had HPV a few years ago. Had no problems with it. No bumps or anything. When she went in for her test, they now cannot find any evidence of the HPV. I guess a healthy body will fight it.
    To understand via the heart is not to understand.

I never got it. I was still "too new" and my mom was hesitant when I was a teenager. I'm now past the recommended age range to get it. After hearing a lot of the serious horror stories I'm a little glad that I didn't
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I used to work with a physician who died after a long battle with cervical cancer. She was survived by her kindergarten aged daughter. Another MD who I know has been HPV positive for many years. I believe the primary reason she and her husband did not have children is HPV.

If you know your daughters and the men they marry will never have sex or oral sex before marriage, you can probably get by without your daughters needing the vaccine. If they or their future husbands might have sex before marriage, or infidelity, I think the HPV vaccine is a good idea. Lifelong mutual monogamy is ideal, but unfortunately it is not the norm in our society.

I just bumped the other thread up for you!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

RE: "....there is as much risk from the vaccine as from the possibility of death from the disease."

REALLY! There is as much risk for DEATH/DEBILITATING DISEASE from the vaccine as the possibility of DEATH/DEBILITATING DISEASE from cervical, anal, penile, and throat cancer? Really?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

12 members found this post helpful.

Why would you post something so controversial and inflammatory without a 30 second internet search to see if it's legit? It would have taken less time to do that then make this post!
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm not anti-vaccine but to me it's still to new for me to feel comfortable getting it for myself. It really made me uncomfortable how hard they were pushing for every girl to get it when it first came out. I'm glad my mom did not force me to get it.

That said, I don't have a daughter but if I do (won't be for a few more years till children come into the picture), I will probably let her get it when she is of age, by then we will know if there are any long term side effects and work out any kinks should they arise and I won't be as worried. I don't think it's as pressing as a communicable disease vaccine so parents and their children can take their time to talk it out and decide if it's the right choice for them.

I got the vaccine. No side effects, the second shot hurt a bit but that was the worst. Beats the hell out of cervical cancer IMO.

I asked my physician about it, she looked at me and said, "All three of my daughters will be getting it." Good enough for me.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

I got it for my oldest daughter. With cancer on both sides and my grandmother, mom, aunts, sister,and my cousins having hysterectomies, and the problems I had (only one still "intact"), better safe then sorry. When my youngest is old enough she will get it too.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    RE: "....there is as much risk from the vaccine as from the possibility of death from the disease."

REALLY! There is as much risk for DEATH/DEBILITATING DISEASE from the vaccine as the possibility of DEATH/DEBILITATING DISEASE from cervical, anal, penile, and throat cancer? Really?

Paula
    If the numbers I have read are correct (and this assumes that we're in a country where women get regular PAP smears), the death rate from both the vaccine and ovarian cancer from HPV are the same.

Dead is dead, regardless of how you get there.

BTW, I am not anti vaccine, but I am most certainly against over vaccination.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    If the numbers I have read are correct (and this assumes that we're in a country where women get regular PAP smears), the death rate from both the vaccine and ovarian cancer from HPV are the same.

Dead is dead, regardless of how you get there.

BTW, I am not anti vaccine, but I am most certainly against over vaccination.
    You do realize that VAERS data is pretty spotty. 1) you can report any illness even if it is unrelated to the vaccine. So if you get a vaccine, and an illness you can report it. You also report deaths, and of all of the deaths less than a handful have been attributed to Gardasil. Heck this study includes someone reporting death from Gardasil, even though the cause of death was drug overdose.
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Vaccines/HPV/jama.html
    2). Data is self reported, and once a vaccine gets bad press the reports go up.

Even if the vaccine doesn't last a lifetime, for a lot of young women it might be worth it to them, to not have infertility issues. I have a late twenties colleague that needed a hysterectomy due to hpv, and cervical cancer. My college roommate has had multiple miscarriages due to cervical inefficiency due to LEEP procedures. I also have a sorority sister who has only had one partner (her husband) but because he had previous partners she now has HPV, because HPV is untestable in men even getting STD screenings doesn't tell the whole picture.