The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by hannahwdel2101 View Post
    I own a barn in PA and we have been operating for about 3 years now. We have 7 boarders and about 25 girls that lesson here. Some of them are beginners but most are intermediate. Currently, we only have 5 school horses (4 horses 1 pony). How many school horses and ponies would you reccomend for my barn and how many does your barn have?
    I would recommend however many fit in your Breyer Stable. If you get a little kid that is "lessoning" they do have a chance of injuring the poor legs on those horses as they are fragile, so you will want to have a couple extra while the injured ones are on "stall rest" I would recommend eBay as they have great deals on horses from shinny show ring new to a seasoned older packer

7 members found this post helpful.

I suppose I will have to start checking posting history for unfamiliar names before wasting time answering what sound like reasonable questions.

Looking at "view posts" for this one here and on Eventing? Guess Mid teens. Kind of pathetic. Especially since many would take the time to help her real life questions.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know. I think some of these posts are overly harsh, of course I'm a natural bleeding heart, anyway, but assuming we are on the right track here that the poster is a teen, I think we should remember how decision making is always a bit interesting at that age, and so is the need to have some recognition/attention. The OP may just want to be part of a group and maybe didn't go about it the right way, and I recognize and understand how this would annoy posters, but I think overall this BB is often too harsh on the teens who post here and I'd like to see that change a bit for 2014. Just my 2 cents and I'll bow out of the conversation now.

Quote Originally Posted by eastendjumper View Post
    I don't know. I think some of these posts are overly harsh, of course I'm a natural bleeding heart, anyway, but assuming we are on the right track here that the poster is a teen, I think we should remember how decision making is always a bit interesting at that age, and so is the need to have some recognition/attention. The OP may just want to be part of a group and maybe didn't go about it the right way, and I recognize and understand how this would annoy posters, but I think overall this BB is often too harsh on the teens who post here and I'd like to see that change a bit for 2014. Just my 2 cents and I'll bow out of the conversation now.
    I'd agree with this if these posts were more "I want to go to the Olympics for show jumping and eventing and dressage and my horse can jump 4' and I jump him cross country bareback and we have a majickal connection!" and less these *extremely* discrepant tales of owning barns (or building facilities or buying facilities or looking for leases) in three different states with a husband and a boyfriend and herself. If this poster has a legitimate mental illness, then I feel very sad for her and hope that she is getting or will get the help she needs. If she's just doing this for whatever reason, I hope that she reads this thread (and the others) and realize that this sort of trolling is not welcome and she needs to cool her jets for awhile and come back at a later date and stick to one (hopefully true) story.

People tend to have good BS detectors around here and aren't afraid to use them. This site sucks up enough of our collective time without wasting extra on trolls, inappropriate teens, and house guests
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

3 members found this post helpful.

Maybe there is some sort of "prize" for starting the most threads.... Like, how many posts do I need to get to the "advanced" level?

There are ways to learn this kind of information without making up stories. For example, someone could ask in a generic manner how barns go about choosing lesson horses and how they decide on the makeup of their lesson string. There doesn't need to be a ridiculous fake back story if someone is just curious or wanting to learn things for the future.