The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions needed - trailering two GELDINGS and not having meltdowns....

...when they are separated. In the past, I had two lovely boys who went totally CRAZY when they trailered together to a clinic and/or event and one had to leave the other. Lesson learned - Rasta and Merlin are not ever turned out together, a stall separates them in the barn, and they have NEVER been trailered together. Makes lessons and training and FUN difficult...

Any suggestions or magic tricks? PLEASE SHARE!!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

You're probably not going to love this,but after 35 years of dealing with bonding trailer buddies the only thing that works for us is to take three horses! haha.

Will watch this space for answers as taking 3 is a PIA in other ways. Good luck!

2 members found this post helpful.

Have you tried it yet? They might surprise you and be fine. Otherwise I don't think there is an easy fix!

My 3 geldings are fine in any combination (2 live together, one lives at another farm) and I can haul to an event/ lesson, take one off and ride and then switch with no drama. They are fine at home being turned out alone, too. OTOH I can't even stand next to my mom's gelding at a lesson without her guy falling in love with my horse (who he doesn't know, doesn't live with and doesn't trailer with).

1 members found this post helpful.

Be glad they're not mares......

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a stud divider between the horses heads. I think that helps them not get as married since they can't really see or touch each other on the trip.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I'm with Highflyer on you have to try it and see. Make sure the guy left behind has plenty of hay and you might be surprised.

Our two boys trailer together all the time and could care less. My guy will occasionally whinny, my mom's horse gets tense but in general they never do anything. And yet, when they do an overnight my mom's horse will spend all night plastered against the wall he shares with my boy (my boy could care less where he is as long as there is food)

One of my alpha mares eventually mostly got over bonding to her trailer buddy but it took a lot of super glue in my saddle. It also took her a long to time to mind her own freaking business in the warm ups.

My new mare is bottom of the herd and has zero problems trailering with herd mates, stabling with them, or moving away from them at shows. It's wonderful and I wonder if it is a herd status thing.

I usually keep my "other horse" on the trailer, not tied to it. Hay and doors open.

Of course we travel in huge groups so they can still usually see another horse. I guess I'm lucky- none of my students horses or my own are particularly herd bound, I can think of only maybe one or two times they've called for each other. I think they more well traveled they are, the less it's an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    One of my alpha mares eventually mostly got over bonding to her trailer buddy but it took a lot of super glue in my saddle. It also took her a long to time to mind her own freaking business in the warm ups.

My new mare is bottom of the herd and has zero problems trailering with herd mates, stabling with them, or moving away from them at shows. It's wonderful and I wonder if it is a herd status thing.
    This has been my experience too. Alpha pony has the meltdown, Omega pony could care less. I agree with Eponacowgirl--leave one ON the trailer so that freakouts are contained.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

If you can, ie schooling instead of showing, ride the worst one first. Tired pony helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ride3day View Post
    If you can, ie schooling instead of showing, ride the worst one first. Tired pony helps.
    this may be how I do it...Taco's mom may be called upon to keep an eye on Merlin during Rasta's lesson and then babysit Rasta while I ride the little guy
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I mostly show alone so it's no problem. This summer, though, I was a working student so I went to shows with two other horses. My guy was 6 and doing his first ever competing/traveling. He does have a tendency to get attached/nervous so what I did was as SOON as we arrived I'd pull him off and away from the other horses. People tend to stand around grazing their horses together so the horse assumes it will be with its friend at this new location. Because I pulled my guy off the trailer and off alone away from his trailering friends, he never had the opportunity to think that those horses were also his new-location friends and instead had to just assume he was alone in this new place. I think the biggest mistake people make is hanging around with the other horses, going for walks with the other horses, warming up with those horses, etc, and then they wonder why when the go in the competition arena, the horse spazzes out. I take my guy away right away and he's not allowed to hang out with anyone but me. I purposefully walk him off alone, ride off on my own, etc.

Also, I think the previous suggestion that the tendency to get attached is related to being Alpha in the herd is not accurate. My guy is a total wimp and doesn't even know how to pin his ears. I think his tendency to get attached is connected to his being insecure.

With my guys I have established a routine. I trailer a short distance to were I train and ride. They both come off the trailer. One is tied to the trailer and one is ridden then I switch. The norm is standing quietly at the trailer while your buddy is gone. Once I had a long trek at a schooling show and rode one and ponied the other to the arena and had a friend walk the other horse around. Big mistake Big horse went ballistic and it has been the only time in 12 years of riding him I was seriously nervous on his back. Smashed through two fences on course not even bothering to jump he was so mad his buddy was out of view.
    No problems if I keep to the routine. But I do this 4 or 5 times a week week after week so the pattern is well established with both of them. I never have a problem and usually only one or two whinny's from the guy left at the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post

This has been my experience too. I've had my fair share of extremely annoying and herdbound horses. One was so bad he used to scream any time we trailered anywhere and the other horses left him - and he didn't even like his pasture mates!!!

The other two (alpha and bottom respectively) simply became unglued when separated -- especially if one left to school in the ring and the other left to do XC. For a time, it was very miserable and our trainer was very annoyed.

It takes a lot of time and experience to fix it - if that's what you even call it. We trailered to other places about 2-5x a week between lessons, pony club, hacking on state trails and schooling locally - so it took a lot of repetition before they settled down.

But sometimes, no matter how much you drill it it just can't be 'fixed'.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012