The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have planation shutters on this house, and my previous house had faux wood blinds (2"). I only used curtains on the bedroom windows in the old house, because of street lights, and car headlights. I like the look of plain windows with blinds, and I hate cleaning curtains to get rid of dust, or if the animal hair gets in them.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

My house doesn't has curtains because of allergies and cats.
    So the builder put in blinds, those that you can run up and down and close or leave down open.
    They are wood and look the same color than the stained trim on the windows.

What you put on the windows depends on what style you are decorating with, some look better with cloth of some kind rather than blinds.

I looked thru several of the builder's parade of homes for some years and even high end houses may have blinds, so it is not really a cheap alternative as they used to be.

Your house looks Craftsman-y to me from the pic! I LOFF those!

The paint is a bit dark, a rich yummy sage or maybe a pretty dusky brown (think light mahogany bay) would be better with the pretty white trim. But only if it is plenty light with good windows. I love creamy tans and hay color paint with white trim too. Whoever said to be careful of certain cream/yellow is right on, some look like pee stain mane *blech*

Have you thought of sheer curtains? Easy maintenance and cheap (I like cheap!).

5th row down has sheers http://www.pinterest.com/JGCannon/cr...dow-coverings/
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

DH and I recently removed a wall between the family room and eat-in kitchen. I used the same creme color for the walls in both rooms. In the kitchen I used a contrasting trim color. In the family room I used a semi-gloss version of the creme color. We also painted one wall in the family room a darker contrast color.

I have a plain tan valance in the family room and in the kitchen I have a tan valance with thin rust color vertical stripes that pick up the trim color. They complement each other but are not the same.

We recently repainted the hallway a pale yellow and went with pale cream trim.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Your house looks Craftsman-y to me from the pic! I LOFF those!

The paint is a bit dark, a rich yummy sage or maybe a pretty dusky brown (think light mahogany bay) would be better with the pretty white trim. But only if it is plenty light with good windows. I love creamy tans and hay color paint with white trim too. Whoever said to be careful of certain cream/yellow is right on, some look like pee stain mane *blech*

Have you thought of sheer curtains? Easy maintenance and cheap (I like cheap!).

5th row down has sheers http://www.pinterest.com/JGCannon/cr...dow-coverings/
    I don't really know what you mean by "Craftsman-y"?

There is a lot of light coming in during the day, but I need to brighten up the inside for the short days of winter. I feel like I'm in a cave!

Also, I would prefer blinds to curtains, but my cats DESTROY them! Are there any cat-proof blinds out there?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    I don't really know what you mean by "Craftsman-y"?

There is a lot of light coming in during the day, but I need to brighten up the inside for the short days of winter. I feel like I'm in a cave!

Also, I would prefer blinds to curtains, but my cats DESTROY them! Are there any cat-proof blinds out there?
    I have some like this, but were from a company the builder used, not Home Depot.
    Cats won't bother them if you have them half way up and most cats would not even bother them if they are all the way down:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Decor-Bli...s/N-5yc1vZbc75

Craftsman homes-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Craftsman

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/23495...raftsman-Style

The wood blinds do well with my two naughty little cats. They have been pretty good about leaving curtains alone (although Edo did manage to shred and eat an entire sheer panel when he was about 8 months old, he is 2 now). Tux is perfect and would never ruin curtains-unless he could get it pinned on Edo
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I have some like this, but were from a company the builder used, not Home Depot.
    Cats won't bother them if you have them half way up and most cats would not even bother them if they are all the way down:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Decor-Bli...s/N-5yc1vZbc75
    Is it just that they are a stronger material? Because my cats nose their way between the slats to get a view of the outside and eventually the slats break. Even if I leave the blinds up a little bit, so they can look out the bottom, it is apparently more interesting if they have to climb through the blinds to get the same view.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Craftsman homes-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Craftsman

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/23495...raftsman-Style

The wood blinds do well with my two naughty little cats. They have been pretty good about leaving curtains alone (although Edo did manage to shred and eat an entire sheer panel when he was about 8 months old, he is 2 now). Tux is perfect and would never ruin curtains-unless he could get it pinned on Edo
    I looked at the link, but those are really nice houses, mine is an old (1940) farmhouse built by farmers, not builders.... I don't "love" the house but I bought it for what's outside

My kitties never bothered with curtains, just blinds (oh, and my couch, which will not be replaced until I am kitty-free).
    Jigga:

Is it just that they are a stronger material? Because my cats nose their way between the slats to get a view of the outside and eventually the slats break. Even if I leave the blinds up a little bit, so they can look out the bottom, it is apparently more interesting if they have to climb through the blinds to get the same view.
    Well, you have to raise blinds to where cats don't reach, if they are the kind that will play with them.

Anything you put in the way where a cat is used to looking out will be fair game, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    so the rooms are the main one with the outside door and the one thru the arch on the far right?
    from what I can see I think different curtains would be ok especially if the shape and/or colors were similar.
    Yes.

I was also toying with the idea of putting matching curtains on the east & west wall, then matching curtains on the north windows. But you don't really see the two north windows at the same time so I'm not sure about that, either.

I tried an online decorating software thing, which was great because I could work out all the measurements, but they didn't have much selection for curtains so I couldn't preview what I have in my head.

I'm thinking colour palette will be :

cream blue wood/maple and accents of black and a little yellow

Something in that range.
    Jigga:

That does look great. And it does show off the subtle bit of colour in the "off white". I like it.

Here's a pic from move-in day, I don't know what they were thinking with the colours. http://imgur.com/xOEqQuO

I think painting the walls a cream or off white will really brighten up the room. With contrast white-white trim, I think it will look stunning.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

As far as choosing the right color, I've found the best way (well, really the only way that works for me) is to buy pints in a couple of the colors I've narrowed down to and to just slap it on the walls. And then live with the colors for a little while and see how they work in the different light. What color you might like in a friend's house or in a picture may not work in your own house. I remember I had a color in my old kitchen that I loved. When I move to my current house, I painted the kitchen the same color and I never liked it.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

OH! You need to have a Color Party! Get a bunch of large paint samples, or if you are daring, buy a bunch of pints of various paint colors, and invite folks over to party. You provide food and drink (I would avoid alcohol but that is just me, up to the host), they get to pin colors on walls or paint a little on walls. Make sure to invite people who you aren't family or super close friends, you want outside, fresh opinion. GREAT for coworkers too, if you want to get to know them better.
    The Knotted Pony

OH! You need to have a Color Party! Get a bunch of large paint samples, or if you are daring, buy a bunch of pints of various paint colors, and invite folks over to party. You provide food and drink (I would avoid alcohol but that is just me, up to the host), they get to pin colors on walls or paint a little on walls. Make sure to invite people who you aren't family or super close friends, you want outside, fresh opinion. GREAT for coworkers too, if you want to get to know them better.
    That sounds like fun... but maybe I should prime the walls first? It's almost impossible for me to imagine anything other than "dark" in here.
    Jigga:

And as I said before, I'm leaning towards a light-coloured wood (well, laminate) flooring. Should that work in this room?
    Jigga: