The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default decorating question

I have decided to update the livingroom/dining room -- I cannot stand the dark chocolate brown walls in one and dark hunter green walls in the other.

I'm thinking about painting a cream colour, but if I do a cream colour on the walls, what colour should the trim be? Would white look weird or should I take the trim colour from another element of the room? The window sills are all white and mostly nice so I don't want to paint them if I don't have to.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I think white looks good and crisp with every color. Just my opinion though. You have to go with what you like.

3 members found this post helpful.

You'll probably have to do two coats of a Kilz type latex primer to cover the other colors, but great prep means a great result too. I think off white or light beige looks wonderful with white trim.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I like cream walls with white trim too--but really what are you thinking posting this question without pictures?!!

1 members found this post helpful.

If you are going for a light color paint, maybe consider a dark trim.

i did a bathroom in a fairly light green (with white ceiling) and ended up with dark green trim with the cherry cabinets and it looks pretty fancy.

fwiw I read years ago that light coloured trim invites the eye to look out towards the view, and dark trim invites the eye to focus inside the room, in case that helps.

I recently painted my living room in (Benjamin Moore) Linen White, all of my trim work and built-ins are painted in Super White (also Ben Moore). I really love the white-on-white look and think the very white trim against off-white walls really makes the walls pop. It's subtle, but very fresh and clean. This picture shows a good example of how it can look. In this example the wall color is Linen White and the trim is White Dove, I think.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

there are some really good paints on the market that cover a lot of sins.

I like cream colored with white trims.
    I had the trim two shades darker than the walls. I could hardly tell, until DH got tired of the 'off white' and painted it a capuchino brown. Suddenly the darker trim was noticeable....

I saw on house hunters where they had bright colors, like jewel tones on the walls with black trim. I thought it looked stunning, but black trim on light walls is probably a bit much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Or a gray of some sort, and keep the trim white.

Thanks everyone! I'm enduring another snow storm today, so I've been spending a lot of time looking into this stuff.... apparently I really need to shop for curtains first since those are the hardest to find...

I don't think I want to do a really dark trim, because I think the floor will be a light wood colour (think maple) and I have some black accents (tv, some picture frames) .
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

have you been looking at gardenweb? those folks are a wealth of info.
    as is the houzze site.

Work with what you have, until it needs repainting, which you say it doesn't right now.

The painter that handled my house said white trim is always right, other colors on trim optional and not always the best.

My house has all trim and doors stained with a lighter stain, as many farm houses are around here, but if painted, white it would have been.

We tried two shades of light brown on the SW kiva fire place and ended up painting it over to white, as the walls are.
    Color brought that fireplace out alright, it was then way too heavy.
    We compromised by adding some brown, white and blue talavera tiles as trim.

I would play with the wall colors, as you are going to do, leave the still good paint on the trim white for now.

The good thing with paint, you can always change it.

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    I recently painted my living room in (Benjamin Moore) Linen White, all of my trim work and built-ins are painted in Super White (also Ben Moore). I really love the white-on-white look and think the very white trim against off-white walls really makes the walls pop. It's subtle, but very fresh and clean. This picture shows a good example of how it can look. In this example the wall color is Linen White and the trim is White Dove, I think.
    That does look great. And it does show off the subtle bit of colour in the "off white". I like it.

Here's a pic from move-in day, I don't know what they were thinking with the colours. http://imgur.com/xOEqQuO
    Jigga:

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    That does look great. And it does show off the subtle bit of colour in the "off white". I like it.

Here's a pic from move-in day, I don't know what they were thinking with the colours. http://imgur.com/xOEqQuO
    Looks fine with that color shade, but many people really like for their houses to be light, not dark.
    The lighter colors for at least the larger walls just are more "happy" colors.

It will look fine any kind of off white/very light tan and still keep that white trim.

I used a warm cream or warm beige color, rather than an off-white and I LOVE it!! It's not dark but it's also not boring almost-white. It just warms the place up quite nicely. When we do the lighter trim, it will look awesome!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

One warning with the yellowish whites, like eggshell.
    One of the local county offices painted their walls that color and it was horrible, they say, had to repaint it a different shade.
    Looking at that bit of yellow all day almost made them sick.

Now, that was not a true yellow, but kind of a shiny, creamy yellow.

Be sure whatever color you choose, no matter how pretty it looks, that it be one you can live with for more than a bit.

Another question: do all the curtains need to match each other? This is kind of an open-concept livingroom/diningroom (except we use the diningroom as an office- there is no big table in it) and I was thinking of painting both rooms the same colour. Each room has two large windows. Do all the curtains need to match?
    Jigga:

No, although I'd probably go for similar/ same colors (say, plain navy in one part and navy stripe in another) but you could also just do nice blinds in some and curtains in others.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Another question: do all the curtains need to match each other? This is kind of an open-concept livingroom/diningroom (except we use the diningroom as an office- there is no big table in it) and I was thinking of painting both rooms the same colour. Each room has two large windows. Do all the curtains need to match?
    I think the mix and match thing, if you can curtains that share the same color values, you will be ok. Which can be really tricky in itself.
    but no, I don't think you have to have the same curtains on all windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

so the rooms are the main one with the outside door and the one thru the arch on the far right?
    from what I can see I think different curtains would be ok especially if the shape and/or colors were similar.