The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Snoring Spouse: Solutions other than suffocation by bed pillow??

Seriously. HELP ME. How can I get spouse to STOP SNORING? He is not overweight, does not have allergies or any health problems, he just SNORES until the furniture rattles.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

You can't. Simple as that. It's genetically programmed into the male to make frightening noises while they sleep to put off any predators from attacking them or their kin. Best deterrent Ma Nature ever designed into the male human for stone age living. (Notice she didn't design it into the female? Know why? Because the female needed to remain hidden and silent to protect from notice the young she was carrying or tending.)

Best solution? Sleep in a separate room with the door closed. And some white noise (fan) on. And the dog with you.

Worst solution? A mouth gag (for him). Divorce. Or a shotgun.

10 members found this post helpful.

Mine has done 2 sleep studies [sleep apnea confirmed] and has a Cpap machine he refuses to use [that we had to buy], and still snores regardless of allergy meds. It's way worse if he's had a beer or more. He is probably 10-15# heavier than he was, but he's always snored. He has a deviated septum.

I asked him this last time to ask the MD about using Rhinocort instead of Flonase as R'cort has more flexible dosing [could do 2 sprays BID, instead of the one spray 1x daily with Flonase], but he 'forgot'. He doesn't generally use the allergy meds religiously enough to honestly give them a chance to work.

I take a Benadryl at night to sleep through it.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

1 members found this post helpful.

I think people underestimate the awesomeness of separate bedrooms.

16 members found this post helpful.

My dad snores like a freight train. He's lean, no sleep apnea (had study), no medical reason for it. Just snores and has all his life.

Once we kids moved out, parents started sleeping in separate bedrooms. Mom reports it's awesome and quiet.

(I snore if I have a cold btw).
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

2 members found this post helpful.

my hubby snores and deafening- i sleep down stairs as i can hear him down there to but not as bad as sleeping next to him----- ooh the peice of a good nights kip

DH does much better if he uses the nose strips.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I have worn earplugs for almost 20 yrs. I love my hubby but i Love my sleep, also. When he snores loud enough for me to hear thru the earplugs, i kick the bed and he usually repositions but it's better if he goes to the spare room. I have it all made up for him and he sleeps fine in there. I would sleep on the guest bed, but i prefer a firmer mattress and the guest room is a bit softer than i like. Honestly, it is difficult to share a room with a snorer or with someone who has restless leg syndrome( hubby has that too).

Earplugs for me, and the mouthpiece Pure Sleep for hubby works good, except for if he's been drinking...then nothing works!

Two bedrooms. Best thing since sliced white bread.

3 members found this post helpful.

My ex is the best guy in the world, but Lord-a-Mercy that man snored like a train. How could someone six feet tall and 145 pounds snore like that? Anyway, I used to pinch his lips shut when I heard him snoring and he would stop immediately.

3 members found this post helpful.

I was hoping someone had a new solution to offer.... sigh
    Y'all ain't right!

Separate bedrooms.

It doesn't mean you don't love each other. It DOES mean that sleep is a very valuable component of YOUR health, and you need to make sure you get enough of it.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

4 members found this post helpful.

Earplugs changed my life.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

For those of you who use earplugs, what kind do you use? I've been using the foam ones that you insert into the ear canal, but my ears get really irritated and sore after a few days. I'm going to try some of those ones that swimmers use and see if those are any better.

Separate bedrooms aren't an option in my case, as Mr. SS and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so any and all suggestions for earplugs are greatly appreciated!

Has he done a sleep study? That could reveal some of the source of the snoring.

I've heard good things about the nose strips.

the earplugs that work best for me and that do not hurt my ears are called Flents 'Quiet Please'. I buy them in bulk.

As I wrote earlier DH can't ever really breath through his nose consistently, he's always 'stuffy', and [Gross alert!!] I catch him pressing in one side while snorting the other, and then switching... to clear his nose I guess, and doing other things that are clear indicators that he can't breath through his nose.

The ONE time he says he could breath through his nose was when, as a single dude, he took a week long trip to Honduras to go scuba diving... and his nose was bathed in saline [salt water] twice a day for 45 minutes each time.
    Will he use saline spray? Nope, not consistently enough to see a difference, just like with any other remedy.

What I do not 'get' is his disinterest in fixing this.
    Are your SOs interested in fixing it?
    Mine could care less, the only reason he ever tries anything is because I nag him to it...
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    As I wrote earlier DH can't ever really breath through his nose consistently, he's always 'stuffy', and [Gross alert!!] I catch him pressing in one side while snorting the other, and then switching... to clear his nose I guess, and doing other things that are clear indicators that he can't breath through his nose.

The ONE time he says he could breath through his nose was when, as a single dude, he took a week long trip to Honduras to go scuba diving... and his nose was bathed in saline [salt water] twice a day for 45 minutes each time.
    Will he use saline spray? Nope, not consistently enough to see a difference, just like with any other remedy.

What I do not 'get' is his disinterest in fixing this.
    Mine could care less, the only reason he ever tries anything is because I nag him to it...
    he is getting his own room...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Mine is usually pretty open to try and fix things.
    I haven't really gotten into his snoring "issue" yet, but now that I'm a much lighter sleeper than I used to be, it does bother me. When he snores, I kick him. It doesn't usually wake him up, but makes him roll over / changes position and the snoring stops (most of the time).
    He has never tried the nasal strips, maybe we should start with that...

The other night he actually stopped breathing for a few seconds and scared me so much I kicked him so that he "would" make some noise!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!