The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If you don't agree with Obamacare

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

4 members found this post helpful.

thx for the link; i had meant to read this article...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Read that yesterday. Love it! DS should have gotten insurance, but NOOOOOO. Just expect others to pay your medical bills.......yup!

Guess some of the GFM monies will be used to pay the ACA penalty.
    "Republicans are men of narrow vision, who are afraid of the future." ~ Jimmy Carter

2 members found this post helpful.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhltsalute View Post
    Read that yesterday. Love it! DS should have gotten insurance, but NOOOOOO. Just expect others to pay your medical bills.......yup!

Guess some of the GFM monies will be used to pay the ACA penalty.
    I can't imagine thinking, 'love it!' about someone going blind.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

2 members found this post helpful.

So, he chooses against insurance, gets sick, tries to get insurance and can't, and it's Obama's fault. That's some wild rationalization, right there.

I wonder if the 9k is the extent of his savings, or if there is an IRA to be tapped into. I wonder if he owns that house outright?

6 members found this post helpful.

Even with this pre-existing condition, he can still get insurance. He just can't get medicaid, because of where he lives.
    "Republicans are men of narrow vision, who are afraid of the future." ~ Jimmy Carter

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhltsalute View Post
    Even with this pre-existing condition, he can still get insurance. He just can't get medicaid, because of where he lives.
    Well yes, but only during open enrollment. He could sign up for Medicaid at any time if his state had agreed to the expansion. It's really a shame he's going to suffer for his stance against the ACA, but geeze Louise, personal responsibility. If you're a diabetic, why would you go without insurance?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

13 members found this post helpful.

Laura, I think he discovered the diabetes in conjunction with the eye issue.

That’s when he turned to the Affordable Care Act exchange. Lang learned two things: First, 2015 enrollment had closed earlier that month. And second, because his income has dried up, he earns too little to get a federal subsidy to buy a private policy.

Lang, a Republican, says he knew the act required him to get coverage, but he chose not to do so. But he thought help would be available in an emergency.
    He has a pre-existing condition (diabetes) and still decided he didn't need health insurance.

Now that he's facing the financial consequences, "help should be available" and his wife thinks it's unfair that it's not.

I'm sorry for his misfortune, but yeee ... logic is not this couple's strong point.

ETA -- He knew he had diabetes prior to his eye problems:
    “I do hold myself partly responsible because of the view that I had. I should have taken better care of my sugar,” he said. “Yeah, I should have had insurance.”

I hope he doesn't lose his sight. And also hope this will be a wake-up call to those who are all about their independence from "the government" until something happens they can't handle on their own. I don't LIKE paying for health insurance, but who does?

12 members found this post helpful.

Also, he thinks he should be first in line for help because he's unable to work now and really needs it.

Even though he didn't pay in when he was healthy, or take steps to control his diabetes, or even buy in when he knew he had diabetes and knew it was the law that he needed to buy insurance.

I am sad for him, but I can't follow his logic. He was proud that he didn't have insurance but "paid for all his care on his own"? Even though that meant his doctor was treating him below cost? And he won't take the ACA subsidy but he's happy to ask strangers for money, and far more money than that subsidy? I don't get any of that. He's exactly the kind of person who would be well helped by the ACA, if only he would let it.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

19 members found this post helpful.

Stupid may hurt for him.

9 members found this post helpful.

logic doesn't work with some of these folks; i remember seeing an interview with a guy who was complaining about having to buy insurance. at the very end, he threw in, completely as an afterthought, that before the ACA he was uninsurable because he had a pre-existing condition: diabetes. got a little bit of mental whiplash there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

3 members found this post helpful.

I still kinda gobsmacked at the idea that 9k could be the extent of his savings.

-He took pride in never getting insurance, and paying his own bills.
    ---Until they got too big, and he wants others to pay.

-He hasn't applied for Social Security Disability, because it takes too long.
    ---He can't work, and his wife doesn't work, but they don't have the time.

-He thought help would be available in an emergency.
    --- It is, but it comes at a cost, the cost of not signing up for any insurance seems to be having to pay the full medical bills- something he used to take pride in.

-He's a smoker who admits he hasn't taken care of his diabetes.
    ---WTH? Both of those are bad, together they are deadly!!! But it's not his fault...

-$9000 wiped out his savings.
    ---Well, at age 49, the premiums for let's say, 25 years for him, and maybe 20?15? for his wife, would be well over $9000, especially if he was a smoker. How is that his entire savings? If they have no money, sell the $300k house, move into an apartment/condo and voila! money to do the eye surgery.

I don't like Obama, or the ACA, but blaming this guys issues on anyone but himself is ludicrous. Sell the house. Have the wife get a job. Have the wife sign him up for Disability. Do something, other than ask for handouts for your poor planning.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Laura, I think he discovered the diabetes in conjunction with the eye issue.
    Yes, but that was a year and a half ago, according to his gofundme page. He has not acted to get health insurance in that time.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Yes, but that was a year and a half ago, according to his gofundme page. He has not acted to get health insurance in that time.
    Knowingly having Diabetes and NOT signing up for insurance is crazy to me. Looks like he preferred to spend that money on cigarettes, which of course, only made it worse.

9 members found this post helpful.

What's that saying? You can't fix stupid.

Why on earth would he have no insurance when he has diabetes. No wonder his diabetes is out of control - he probably doesn't take his medications as necessary to control it (as diabetes meds are quite expensive) Even WITH insurance some diabetes meds can be extremely costly.

Additionally, perhaps he did look at coverage and found that the plans he was eligible for had high premiums AND a high deductible figuring he was better off paying out of pocket than the high premiums + meeting a deductible? TO keep blaming states for not expanding medicaid - we have no idea what his income is so he might not have even qualified for it in the first place. I was unemployed living on unemployment and guess what, I didn't qualify for Medicaid in a state that expanded.

As far as who pays for it, looks like some of it will be paid by those who voluntarily contribute to his GoFundMe account, or ultimately will be paid for by taxpayers when he eventually comes under some state and/or local program -whether that's medicaid or some other program. Just because the state didn't expand medicaid doesn't mean he won't eventually be able to get Medicaid and eventually disability.

Unfortunately the most likely outcome is that he will go blind and become disabled, which would then qualify him for medicaid and government support. Worst possible outcome for him, worst possible outcome for the taxpayers.

6 members found this post helpful.

It does seem like a lot of people (mostly liberals, by the comments) stepped up and got him enough money that he'll be able to get care. Hopefully he'll buy health insurance during the next open enrollment.