The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Deworming in SE PA...

Curious as to what you guys are doing for a worming schedule and what products you are using. Thanks.

A lot of vets now recommend having a fecal done and then deworming according to that. Worms are becoming resistant to current dewormers and on top of that, most people are OVER deworming horses. They need a small amount of worms in their system to keep them balanced. Basically, there is a "good" amount of worms and then there is a "bad" amount of worms. Therefore if you deworm according to a fecal, you will get much better results and your horses digestive system will be better off. Plus, every horse is different and some naturally 'fight' worms better than others.

A lot of horses we've done fecals on lately have only NEEDED deworming 2X/year - spring and fall. Anything more would have been overkill because the horses simply did not have the worm load that required deworming.

So if you ask me, do a fecal and then go from there based on what worms (and how many) your horse carries.

^^ that

It doesn't matter where you are. You follow the same principles. Spring and Fall deworming with ivermectin or moxidectin, and at least one of those combined with praziquantel.

Before each of those, you get a FEC to see how things are. Most horses are fine, and the above is all they need. Some need more help, so you look at how much help they need, and use additional FECs through the year, possibly for a couple of years, to determine what their normal load is.

It's about an 80/20 thing again - about 20% of the horses are responsible for about 80% of the worms, though I think it's actually closer to 90/10. But regardless: It says that most horses only need the 2x/year deworming to get things that are probably there but can't be seen - bots and tapes. Of the rest of the population who needs more help, most of them - again, probably 80-90/20-10 will need just 1 more deworming, especially if you use moxidectin for Spring, and then the smallest percentage of all will need another one.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in south central PA. Been doing fecals for about 6-7 years and target deworming as per the vet's recommendation.

1 members found this post helpful.

My barn does rotational worming every two months. Except for me.
    I do fecals and then worm based on vet recommendation. For Finnegan we do Quest Plus in the fall after first frost and normally Zimecterin in the spring.
    His last couple of fecals he has had low or no worms.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    For Finnegan we do Quest Plus in the fall after first frost and normally Zimecterin in the spring.
    Would you do the dung beetles a huge favor and swap those? Moxidectin doesn't kill them, but ivermectin does The beetles are most active in the Spring.

If you mean Zimecterin Gold, do your horse a HUGE favor and switch to Equimax

3 members found this post helpful.

I am in SE PA and I do Equimax twice a year. In fall after the first hard frost, in spring after the last frost date.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Would you do the dung beetles a huge favor and swap those? Moxidectin doesn't kill them, but ivermectin does The beetles are most active in the Spring.

If you mean Zimecterin Gold, do your horse a HUGE favor and switch to Equimax
    So you're saying to use Equimax in the fall and Quest Plus in the Spring?
    and do FEC BEFORE those to see if more/additional dewormers should be given?

here is a list from a few years ago that our vet put on our BB. January- Quest or panacur, March-Ivermectin, May-Strongid, July Equimax, Sept-Safeguard, Nov-ivermectin. i am in Eastern PA. i do think it's good to start with a fecal to your vet and then ask if this is an acceptable schedule for you.

Wow. That is such a waste of time and money. A single dose of panacur and a singe dose of safeguard is useless.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2shoes View Post
    So you're saying to use Equimax in the fall and Quest Plus in the Spring?
    Yep

and do FEC BEFORE those to see if more/additional dewormers should be given?
    Mostly to see if you need to do any FECs beyond these 2. For example, doing a FEC in, say, March, before any Spring deworming, will tell you how that horse fared over that Winter, since the deworming in the Fall. Most horses will be pretty clean.

But if he has a high count, you're going to treat him anyway, but then instead of waiting until Sept or so to do the pre-Fall FEC, you'd do one as soon as possible, which depends on the chemical, ie you'd do it 16 weeks after using moxidectin, but if you used ivermectin, you'd do one at 12 weeks

Same with the pre-Fall deworming FEC - you want to see how that horse did in that environment over that Summer. It will start to give you patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    here is a list from a few years ago that our vet put on our BB. January- Quest or panacur, March-Ivermectin, May-Strongid, July Equimax, Sept-Safeguard, Nov-ivermectin. i am in Eastern PA. i do think it's good to start with a fecal to your vet and then ask if this is an acceptable schedule for you.
    It's not an acceptable schedule without a few things:
    - proving that fenbendazole (safeguard) and pyrantel pamoate (strongid) actually work on that farm. Both chemicals have high, widespread resistance, and should be assumed to be ineffective until proven otherwise.
    - the horse has proven to have immune issues and can't take care of things well on his own and needs a good bit of extra help. Even then, this schedule doesn't begin to address tapeworms.

Even if they are effective on a given farm, given what's been said about how 80-90% of horses are pretty good at controlling things on their own and only need 2x/year deworming, it's a waste of money, and just exposes more stages of more parasites to chemicals that don't kill them, which is what leads to increases in resistance issues.

Despite many vets still, and despite all the catalog companies selling this type of deoworming pack, it is old, outdated, and really just wrong for this era.

Fecals.

Ivermectin after first frost, Quest Plus in Spring.

Spring fecal (usually late April/Early May) followed by QuestPlus. Late summer fecal (late Aug/early Sept), followed by Ivermectin if high, nothing if low. Ivermectin after first hard freeze (late Nov/early Dec), +/- praziquantel based on vet recs.

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    Fecals.

Ivermectin after first frost, Quest Plus in Spring.
    This is what I do. Only I don't usually do a fecal before de-worming, but usually around mid-Summer, just to be sure I don't have to do another dose then. This was at my vet's suggestion, she said if you are going to de-worm anyway there is really no need to do a fecal beforehand. I only have 2 horses, though, that I keep at home. So if they were in a larger herd situation I would probably do more fecals.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I agree if you have a good history of FECs, doing one before the Spring and Fall deworming likely isn't necessary.

The benefits of it are having it show you if that horse came out of that season - Winter or Summer - in good shape. Sometimes it's not necessary, sometimes you get surprised because of how that season went. For example, last Summer here was very wet and not terribly, and I never got to drag my pasture in July and August, when we normally have killing dry heat. I was worried that things might be "bad" (which is relative to everyone having clean/low FECs in previous years). The only one who truly needed deworming was the 2yo, which didn't surprise me.