The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

We took a 24 year old gelding off of the Giveaways forum. He was going to be for our children to ride. The only requirement was for him to be a packer. That is probably the problem with your friends horse. We have had our horse for 5 years now. He will be buried out here too. Your "client" is going to be a knowledgeable horse family with children who live on a farm. There are many, many families out there who are not COTHers. If he is only on the Giveaways forum you are probably not going to find him a home. Ads at the feed stores and arenas in your area would help. Along with the Market Bulletins. Not Craigslist.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Weighaton View Post
    We took a 24 year old gelding off of the Giveaways forum. He was going to be for our children to ride. The only requirement was for him to be a packer. That is probably the problem with your friends horse. We have had our horse for 5 years now. He will be buried out here too. Your "client" is going to be a knowledgeable horse family with children who live on a farm. There are many, many families out there who are not COTHers. If he is only on the Giveaways forum you are probably not going to find him a home. Ads at the feed stores and arenas in your area would help. Along with the Market Bulletins. Not Craigslist.
    Vet, farrier and other professionals that know the horse can also sometimes be great sources of good homes... posting only on COTH and for 2 months, not so much
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Reality check.
    This is an old horse, if the owner can not or will not support him then she needs to do the responsible thing.
    Simply passing this animal on- is neither kind to the animal nor kind to the new owner. Any kid who accepts this animal is not getting good advise from her experts and does not possess the skill or knowledge to care for an elderly animal. the reality is that the horse will suffer. No kid has either the experience nor the ability to support this animal. My neighbor and I both have geriatric horses- we just euthanized the 37 year old yesterday after she could not get up.
    However we are all lifetime horsemen. We have vet checks regularly and follow the protocols.
    It is by far kinder to have the vet euthanize. If you had to witness the suffering of neglected animals then you would have no doubt at all. We keep them alive as long as they can be reasonably comfortable and it is expensive. My barn is full

2 members found this post helpful.

24. If she doesn't want him anymore, yes, euthanize...its not an age someone is going to jump at and take on. So sad to me, always will be....if you've loved this horse, promised them your care, enjoyed their gifts. I can understand if you are desperate and cannot care for them, but not if you want another one 'instead'....I am just not that person.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

3 members found this post helpful.

This may need a separate thread but why do people always suggest therapeutic riding places for old horse giveaways? it's not a soft landing for any old horse.

That is a very specialized job- go watch before deciding to send your horse there. It takes a special horse and then if you care you must ask what happens when horse no longer useful to them

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    This may need a separate thread but why do people always suggest therapeutic riding places for old horse giveaways? it's not a soft landing for any old horse.

That is a very specialized job- go watch before deciding to send your horse there. It takes a special horse and then if you care you must ask what happens when horse no longer useful to them
    This. I have volunteered for a few therapeutic riding centers and while I agree that they are doing important work and that the horses are generally loved and respected, I would not send a horse of mine to a program like that.

And, since they are running a business, they have even less room for the golden oldies who are no longer able to perform for them.

4 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't turn down a 24 old horse if it had the qualities I was looking for, but honestly if I found the same type of horse but half the age, I would probably choose the younger one. I can see why most people would do that. It gives someone a chance to have a riding horse for a lot longer realistically.

I do think there are people that would take an older horse especially those who are just learning to ride and want a safe, quiet older horse. But when issues start to pop up, are they going to keep them and deal with those issues or toss them aside? That would be my worry. You could find someone to free lease him and then that way you would know where he is at all times.

No way in the world would I pay for an old narrow-skilled horse just to prove I had money. I'm in enough on the horse market to know what that horse really is worth and don't need to spend money when the next dozen are free.

I'd rather spend the money to get teeth done or buy hay or feed.

In this day and age though, that's a horse that I would find a decent retirement home for (which isn't easy) or just PTS, hard as that is. It's not inexpensive to provide a long long life to a horse that not being used any more. Sometimes horses are pets; sometimes they are livestock; sometimes they vehicles for competition or yep, entertainment. They very often out live their athletic abilities and then it's up to the owner how to handle it, or how long to handle it. I don't begrudge someone that can only afford one horse and would like to be able to RIDE it to do what needs to be done.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post

Thirded.

We donated my mare to one of those places, and she was a star. It was very good for her, she was such a packer, and so careful with the kids. Until her navicular progressed to the point where she couldn't carry even the little kiddos anymore. Then they free-leased her to a horsewoman with a little daughter who wanted her as a pasture puff. I can only assume that she lived a good life there, because the therapeutic riding place certainly didn't keep up with her (and I don't mean visiting her, I mean simply knowing the name of who they leased her to). I've always been scared to death that she ended up in a bad place.

I would take a 24 yo pony in a heartbeat, provided it would just sit there while my little ones climbed all over him/her. Sort of looking for that right now. A 24 yo horse that isn't completely bombproof? Not so much.

Fourthed on the therapy tip... It takes a VERY special horse to do that job. Mine was unceremoniously kicked out of a program here. If you talked to them you'd think he was an absolute monster - rearing, wouldn't let the vet or farrier near him w/o sedation, etc. I do not know this horse they tell me about. He an absolute doll on the ground, took his blind half leaser around a dressage test with a mariachi band on the other side of the wall, and I've brought him to PSG without even a suggestion that he might rear. The people in that program are good with and good to their horses, most horses just cannot take the stress and the amount of human contact required for that job. Definitely not a situation I'd send an old horse into, its far not taxing mentally AND physically than most imagine.

3 members found this post helpful.