The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

ok, thank you for answering the question. . But i wish you would all realize that just b/c you buy a horse, does not mean you can never sell it or find it a new home. I am sure ALL of you have sold horses that were not working out for you.

I never said she was going to do anything with him if he did not find a good home. In fact, she IS keeping him unless he does find a good home, but that has nothing to do with my question. Stop jumping to the wrong conclusion.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    WTF are you talking about? who said ANYTHING about kill buyers? Who said she was taking him to auction? WHAT is your problem?
    I said, there are people out there that pretend they are private owners and families but they are actually kill buyers who use that ruse to get free horses. Do a bit of reading and research, call some rescue organizations they'll tell you what is out there and about the prospects for an older horse ending up safely cared for if given away.

14 members found this post helpful.

Not all of us would sell a horse that has no future as a riding horse, that we have owned, cared for, and loved.

24 members found this post helpful.

Who said he has no future as a riding horse? he is a great trail horse and does great in the ring as well. Why is it i can never ask a simple question on this forum without getting the bullies coming out of the woodwork to try to make me feel like shit?

4 members found this post helpful.

A friend of mine has been trying to give her horse to a good home. He is a great horse. very healthy. his problem? he is 24. He would make a great horse for a teenager or pre-teen who plans to go to college. He probably has 10-12 good years left in him. No one is biting. How old is too old to reasonably expect to find a horse a new home?
    Yes, he is too old to have any kind of market out there. Her chances of placing him in a lifetime home are slim to none. She either needs to retire him completely, lease him out until she's in a better place with her anxiety that it doesn't create an issue or put him down. Rehoming just really isn't an option. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

The reason she is rehoming him is b/c he is sensitive to her anxieties. She recently had to go off her Anxiety meds due to a severe dry eye condition and the meds make it worse. So her anxiety is thru the roof. When she rides him, he reacts b/c he is so in tune to her. BUT i have seen this horse when she was on her meds and when other people ride him, he is a great horse. i just think his age is scaring people away from taking him.
    This to me just screams sensitive ride. Not bombproof, not "great horse" for most people. Sensitive horses are not great therapy or family horses. Anyone with the experience to ride a sensitive horse will have other, younger options out there and I wouldn't blame them for choosing a 12 year old sensitive ride vs. a 24 year old sensitive ride because both are being given away right now.

That's the reality of her situation. She can't change it. It is what it is. Now she just needs to choose a responsible resolution.

32 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrywood View Post
    I said, there are people out there that pretend they are private owners and families but they are actually kill buyers who use that ruse to get free horses. Do a bit of reading and research, call some rescue organizations they'll tell you what is out there and about the prospects for an older horse ending up safely cared for if given away.
    No, that is not what you said. Go back and read your post which starts off saying she is selfish. Yes, we are not stupid. there are scams everywhere. Had nothing to do with my question.

1 members found this post helpful.

People here posted the truth in hope that your friend would make a better choice, not to make you feel bad.

You got your answer...despite being a great trail and ring horse, the fact that he is 24 means almost no one wants him, and if someone does take him, it is doubtful they will care for him if he stops being healthy and rideable.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrywood View Post
    People here posted the truth in hope that your friend would make a better choice, not to make you feel bad.

You got your answer...despite being a great trail and ring horse, the fact that he is 24 means almost no one wants him, and if someone does take him, it is doubtful they will care for him if he stops being healthy and rideable.
    People acted like we were planning to set him on fire. Jeez. all i wanted was a simple answer. I get sick of being treated like crap for just asking a question. You all jump to conclusions and it's BS. The 'truth' is all i asked for, not to be accused of something horrible that is all in your heads.

I promise you that it is in fact the age of the horse that is turning off potential buyers. It takes a lot of guts to purchase an older horse.

Is it a possibility for your friend to find a part-boarder, or an in-barn free lease?

8 members found this post helpful.

he is not for sale, he is FREE. We ride in a trail barn, no lessons. all of the boarders have horses.

You got your simple answer. He is too old to find a good home, the odds are against it.

Your response is all about your bruised feelings, not about that you might consider any of the advice from numerous people here in order to benefit the horse.

26 members found this post helpful.

Look, the truth is that very few people want a horse in its 20's. If they are looking for a horse in that age range, chances are they want an absolute bomb proof beginner friendly horse that will pack around whoever. They're probably not looking for a horse to RIDE. Nobody wants to take on a horse that "might" have 10 years left and try to do something with it. Nobody wants to work on "issues" or "train" or "work with" a horse of this age. They could get a younger horse and put the time in and have a horse that is younger/more capable/same type of ride. There are free horses all over the place, especially if you know the right people. I JUST picked up two sound, young, healthy horses as training projects. Minor, fixable vices, and completely free.

So unless this horse is a bomb proof school master, capable of packing kids (or adults) around a show ring, or doing 2'6" hunter courses with auto everything, there are VERY FEW PEOPLE who will even give him a chance. I'm sorry, but it is the reality of the situation. The people that are in the market for a free/cheap horse that ISN'T a schoolmaster, don't want a horse that is at the end of its riding career.

If I were your friend, I would keep the horse and get some lessons on him. Or retire. Or euthanize. Giving the horse away is probably not going to happen.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

he is not for sale, he is FREE. We ride in a trail barn, no lessons. all of the boarders have horses.
    We get it. He's free. So are thousands of others out there offered for free on CL, on this board, everywhere you look, many of them younger and calmer. There are not enough takes, even for free , healthy horses in this economy.

12 members found this post helpful.

I think where people's frustration lie is that giving him away is just not an option. If you expect for him to be given away to a good home, that situation just doesn't exist. It's as much as an option as setting him on fire. It just cannot be done and end well for the horse.

It's a harsh reality and one that we keep repeating over and over to so many people. Rehoming an older horse and expecting someone else to give them a lifetime of good care is akin to being delusional. It is not reality and it is an impossible expectation. Your friend needs to seriously let this idea go and move onto plan B.

21 members found this post helpful.

Nezzy, you start a thread, an action, and you get a reaction.

COTH threads have their dynamics and I am quite surprised, after almost 3,000 posts, you expected different input to this particular topic.

Yes, the horse is old. Where I live, horses past 15 are very difficult to sell or rehome.

If you think, your friend is going to sniff out a killer buyer, you might be in a surprise. Yes, I know, he is for free. That would be even better for them.

I was thinking about selling my own horse, a pleasure animal, not cheap/not super expensive, yet, I took the ad down after two weeks.

There were highly questionable folks and this horse was not even KB material due to his price.

It is rough out there and it is even rougher for old and weak. I would not take it on my conscience to try to "re-home" 24 year old.

I was going to suggest, what others suggested, ie. retirement or euthanasia.

If she has money for a new horse, she has money for euthanasia and disposal.

As for her eagerness to get a new horse, well, first and foremost, she needs to address her issues.

It is entirely possible, she does not have what it takes to be with horses. Not everyone, who "loves" horses is cut to actually be around them.

With her issues, the chances are, you will start another "rehoming" thread a year or two from now.

Very, very few horses tolerate this level of mental dysfunction, mostly, because it goes against everything they are wired for.

Sooner or later, she will get another horse rattled, too, even, if he will not start that way.

I am sorry, it is not, what you want to hear, but any half decent horseman is first and foremost an advocate for a horse.

32 members found this post helpful.

he is not for sale, he is FREE..
    That is even more dangerous.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

16 members found this post helpful.

I'm afraid you, and your friend, are kidding yourselves that he has another 10-12 years of riding left in him. He may be outwardly healthy right now, but I'm certain his old age is catching up with him fast. How often has he been ridden, let's say in the last 3yrs? I board a 31 yr. old horse who is "sound", but he only gets ridden for about 20 minutes, maybe once a month. His teeth are completely worn down. It is a LOT of work to keep weight on him. His 28 yr old pasture mate was sound until about 4 yrs. ago. Then the arthritis set in, and now she has a knee about the size of a grapefruit (and she's 14.1).

These are both horses who've led a "cushy" life. Never pounded on, never jumped. Owner is very knowledgeable, and doesn't mind paying for any kind of supplements to make their lives as comfortable as possible. Not many people would spend as much as she does on 2 pasture pets.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Yes, it's mostly the horse's age. However, I'd guess that it's in part his temperament.

I would take a 24 year old horse in good health IF it was a dead broke, calm, beginner safe, granny horse. That is the source of value in an old horse: he's been there, done that, and can be relied upon to babysit the unskilled or timid rider. But, you say this horse can't be ridden by his current owner because he "senses her anxiety" and reacts badly. THAT does not say "dead broke, calm, beginner safe, granny horse." THAT says sensitive, reactive horse. A 24 year old sensitive, reactive horse has no value to me whatsoever. I couldn't use him.

And I'm sorry, but there is very slim probability that a 24 year old horse has another 10-12 good years left in him. The thing with horses is that they're generally fine - until that day when they aren't. And the older a horse gets, the greater the probability that tomorrow is going to be that day.

23 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, Nezzy. I used the term "buyer" as a generalization, I should've said "new owner" since the horse is free. My mistake.

3 members found this post helpful.

At 24, he deserves to spend his last years with your friend, as a pasture puff, or to be given a safe and pain-free goodbye, rather than be given away to strangers who will do whatever they please with him.

I don't even understand how someone can part with a horse this age - he's close to being "useless" as a riding horse, she got the best he had to give, and now suddenly due to health complications, she can't ride him anymore and wants to get rid of him. Realistically, who wants a new horse that close to being a pasture puff and probably high maintenance? Be kind to the old guy.

21 members found this post helpful.