The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Giveaway horse too old?

A friend of mine has been trying to give her horse to a good home. He is a great horse. very healthy. his problem? he is 24. He would make a great horse for a teenager or pre-teen who plans to go to college. He probably has 10-12 good years left in him. No one is biting. How old is too old to reasonably expect to find a horse a new home?

The reason she is rehoming him is b/c he is sensitive to her anxieties. She recently had to go off her Anxiety meds due to a severe dry eye condition and the meds make it worse. So her anxiety is thru the roof. When she rides him, he reacts b/c he is so in tune to her. BUT i have seen this horse when she was on her meds and when other people ride him, he is a great horse. i just think his age is scaring people away from taking him.

Personally, I would not try to give away a 24 year old horse. I would either keep it, or put it down. I don't want to wonder how long it suffered at the hands of someone who has no idea how to care for an elder horse.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

27 members found this post helpful.

He might LIVE 10-12 more years, but could have an old age issue tomorrow making him unrideable or needing to be PTS. It's hard to find a home for an oldster that could be a day away from euthanasia or life as a pasture potato...

12 members found this post helpful.

I think your friend is selfish. Sorry to say that but she is so self involved she only cares that she can't comfortably ride her horse without her meds or whatever. How about she think about the fact that there are a flood of giveaway horses out there and no or few takers, and that he has a far greater chance of suffering and a bad future ahead of him...even if she finds a free home, what will THEY do with him if in a year or two he gets too arthritic to ride? Half the free home folks out there are kill buyers posing as families btw.s

She should retire him or euthanize him, either one is a better option. Take responsibility for her own horse and not hope some fairy godmother person will give him a forever home. She can choose to give him a forever home if she wants to .

60 members found this post helpful.

These are the kinds of people who get a big reality-adjustment from ME. When the money is there to keep the horse, there's no real reason to get rid of him, but they think The Perfect Fantasy Situation is just going to majickally make their horse disappear to never-never land.

Keep him or put him down UNLESS someone looking for a weekend trail ride husband horse or companion horse WHOM YOU KNOW (not a dealer!) is offering to free-lease him.

I'm also a little sick of people whose weak-willed failure to deal with their responsibilities are constantly "medicalized." It's not a failure of meds, honey, it's a failure of CHARACTER.

35 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Personally, I would not try to give away a 24 year old horse. I would either keep it, or put it down. I don't want to wonder how long it suffered at the hands of someone who has no idea how to care for an elder horse.
    I agree. It always makes me feel a little sick to see someone trying to dump a horse in its twenties or older. If she can't ride him, so freaking what? Put him down or retire him, but don't try to pass him off on someone else.

21 members found this post helpful.

Lets not trivialize anxiety, not the garden variety, but as pathology.
    It is a very serious problem for those that suffer from it.
    Here is more, for those that want to learn about this, directly from the horse's mouth, if it were:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...nxiety/355741/

That is no different than being allergic to your pet and, if you don't rehome it, you can't breathe and will possibly die from an asthma attack.

Now, maybe this lady is really uncaring and just wants one less thing to worry with in her life, that we don't know, but at least lets give her the benefit of the doubt that she really can't keep the horse and see how to go about doing something about THAT.

28 members found this post helpful.

I havee to agree with the folks that say the horse should either be retired or euthanized. I don't understand people sometimes, I really don't.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

8 members found this post helpful.

I have a 26 year old horse who thankfully is still going strong. He is ridden several days per week and jumping a couple of times per month. He is priceless to me but most likely not to anyone else. He is very expensive to care for compared to his younger days. The only people likely to be interested in your friend's horse are not someone you would want the horse to go to. Put him down if keeping him is not an option.

14 members found this post helpful.

Maybe she should be anxious about her horses' future if she passes him along to an unknown fate , instead of being anxious about her own anxiety.

I hope as a friend of the HORSE you will tell your human friend the truth. Someone has to look out for the animalss welfare. It is supposed to be the owner.

14 members found this post helpful.

What about leasing him out to a small lesson program? They would love a horse like that. Maybe if she promised to take care of his vet costs when the time comes.

I don't have anxiety, but I am around a lot of people with it. I am sure she is thinking he is a healthy horse and still in good condition to be used, so he doesn't need to be put down. If it were me, and I were in a situation where I had to find a home for a 24 year old horse I would try to find him a home before I put him down. I also understand that to put them down is the best option at times.

6 members found this post helpful.

Nobody is trivializing her anxiety but everybody has problems and issues, many of them serious, that they/we are dealing with. Still does not relieve one of ownership responsibilities and part of responsibility is not being in denial and believing a fairy god person is going to be on CL and want a 24 year old horse and take care of him till the end when there are thousands of older horses being given away by equally irresponsible owners . More likely a kill buyer posing as a family with a kid or someone wanting to squeeze another year or two out of the horse before THEY get rid of him is what is likely.

Almost any owner can scrape up funds to euthanize if they cant' afford to or don't want to spend the $ to retire.

7 members found this post helpful.

I asked my vet about average lifespans and he said mid-20s.
    I know a lot of horses are older than that, but he told me that a lot of his patients get to their mid 20s and something goes wrong requiring euthanasia between the ages of 25 and 27. For that reason, I would be reluctant to take a 24 year old for a teen. A free lease or leasing to a barn to use in lessons might be better. I have a 24 year old also, and I would think I would have a heck of a time giving him to a good home.

2 members found this post helpful.

What are you all talking about???

I said the horse is healthy. VERY healthy. you would never know he is 24. My friend is trying to find him a good home, she is not taking him to auction. She wants to get herself a different horse who is better matched to her. Why is this such an evil thing? Oh no, i guess we should all keep horses that are not right for us. What i am asking is- is it his age that is keeping people away? ANY horse can colic and die, at any time. There are no guarantees. But this guy is very healthy at 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post

I said the horse is healthy. VERY healthy. you would never know he is 24.

Well, he is 24 and thank god he's healthy but the reality is, very few , if any people want a 24 year old horse in this economy. Look around, there are 12 year old quiet, sound horses being given away. Why would someone pick a 24 year old? Not trying to be mean, you are asking.

My friend is trying to find him a good home, SHE is supposed to provide the good home! she is trying to dump him and make herself feel good by pretending that if anyone takes him they won't dump him either or sell him for meat.

she is not taking him to auction. She wants to get herself a different horse who is better matched to her. Why is this such an evil thing?

Ok. she is dumping older horse because she doesn't want to deal with the riding problem with spending on lessons or trainer and she wants to go buy another one that if that does not work out will dump the next one. Stop sugar coating what she is doing.

Oh no, i guess we should all keep horses that are not right for us. What i am asking is- is it his age that is keeping people away? ANY horse can colic and die, at any time. There are no guarantees. But this guy is very healthy at 24.
    YES IT IS HIS AGE THAT IS KEEPING PEODPLE AWAY.

At least you and your friend have an answer. Now go back and stay in denial and wait for some kill buyer to show up and pretend it's a loving family that is going to care for him forever.

34 members found this post helpful.

Yes, it is his age. Any horse CAN colic and die, but his age makes him closer to death than a much younger horse, just statistically speaking...

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post

I said the horse is healthy. VERY healthy. you would never know he is 24. My friend is trying to find him a good home, she is not taking him to auction. She wants to get herself a different horse who is better matched to her. Why is this such an evil thing? Oh no, i guess we should all keep horses that are not right for us. What i am asking is- is it his age that is keeping people away? ANY horse can colic and die, at any time. There are no guarantees. But this guy is very healthy at 24.
    Let me tell you something. We had a horse who was 25, most amazing horse ever. Ex GP jumper. Easy to ride, the healthiest he had ever been at that age. We kept joking he would live to 35 at this rate.

Then one day he rested his leg, fell asleep, stumbled, and broke the bone. Went right through his joint. His bones were so brittle at this age. You would never know, he was sound and healthy. Not stiff at all. It was the saddest thing ever, he was such a special guy.

Just because this horse looks healthy doesn't mean it has years left. Most horses health deteriorates very quickly before they die. One minute they are fine, the next they are on their last breath.

Your friend should have the horse put to sleep if she really wants a new horse that bad. At least he won't end up neglected or at slaughter this way. She owes it to this horse.

This is a responsibility of horse ownership. If she can't afford two horses, then she either keeps this one or puts him down and gets another.

19 members found this post helpful.

In answer to your question, yes, I think it is his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrywood View Post
    YES IT IS HIS AGE THAT IS KEEPING PEODPLE AWAY.

At least you and your friend have an answer. Now go back and stay in denial and wait for some kill buyer to show up and pretend it's a loving family that is going to care for him forever.
    WTF are you talking about? who said ANYTHING about kill buyers? Who said she was taking him to auction? WHAT is your problem?

Oh no, i guess we should all keep horses that are not right for us

IF a person does not want to keep a horse that is not right for them, and they know that as an older horse he has close to zero chance of ending up in a safe situation, have the guts to get him humanely euthanized.

21 members found this post helpful.