The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Update again.

Had the CT scan of abdomen and pelvis.

Now on to the colonoscopy that was 2/18:
    Colonoscopy went fine. All the prep was done the evening before. I started when I finished the horses at 8 PM and, unfortunately was up till 5 AM. ? Went to bed and back up at 6:30 AM to do the horses before the actual colonoscopy procedure. Gastroenterologist said all was OK from colonoscopy and CT scan except for thickening of the gall bladder so he sent me to a surgeon.

Surgeon wanted an ultrasound of gall bladder, liver and kidneys to see more.

Ultrasound didn’t show any better but he wants to do surgery because if it is cancerous it can spread to the liver and that’s not good at all. ? He does want to wait to see the results though of the lung biopsy and said if biopsy does show lung cancer that is probably more serious. I told him no surgery was going to happen till we get better weather (i.e., no snow and warm enough to use a hose and not have to heat water buckets. He was pretty understanding.? I need to talk more with him to determine if he thinks the gall bladder issue could have caused the weight loss.

Lung biopsy was this past Tuesday, 2/25. All the lung Dr said was that I was to do only light activity. Hey, to me that meant no tossing 70 lb hay bales around. Not what the nurses said when I got in there though. Fortunately at least 2 nurses were very familiar with horses and the amount of work and the weight of water buckets, muck buckets etc. So, I had to scramble to get someone to do water for me Tue night (stalls were all done already) and for someone the next day. So I arranged for help from the woman that owns the companion horse for my horse and a neighbor for the next day. Biopsy went OK but after they do it, you wait around a while and then get a chest X-ray to determine if there is any ‘holes’ or collapsing of the lung. Chest x-ray showed a hole (I thought for sure they said 7 cm but it had to be 7 mm) so I had to come back the next day, Wed. I was told to really take it easy Tuesday evening. Yea sure-well I didn’t do water buckets except to top off about 10 PM. Even then I only put 2” of water in the bottom of the bucket each time I had to add-took several trips that way but not too bad. Next morning I mix and feed grain and hay and neighbor comes over to do stalls and water. So I go back and they do new chest X-ray. Hole went to 20. Need help for next day. Thank heavens I have a great neighbor who came over the 2nd full day (Thur) to do the horses. I go in Thursday morning and hole is down to 16 so they want me to still take it easy and come back on Monday. Checked with my neighbor and she can do the horses through Monday AM. If hole gets larger there is a good chance of a collapsed lung. That means a tube into lung to re-inflate and anywhere from overnight to a couple days in the hospital. This is very hard to have someone else come and do all the water buckets, dumping and refilling, as well as cleaning stalls and taking manure to dumpster. She even took off blankets helped me brush and put them back on. I was able to at least heat the water and mix and feed grain and do hay (no more than 2 flakes at a time though). Talk about royal PITA!

I also contacted another neighbor to come and shovel snow if we get more than a couple of inches.

Now, good news is the lung Dr called this Thursday AM with news that the biopsy did not show lung cancer but possibly a fungal infection. That may be what’s caused the spots is my speculation. He’s waiting to get the rest of the results. Yes, I did breathe a HUGE sigh of relief.

So, short of it being very difficult and exceptionally frustrating not being able to do a lot of the work with my horses, and the crappy weather to boot, things could be a lot worse. I just have to hope the 'hole' heals quickly and doesn't get worse.

But I still want to find out what caused the weight loss and if I can find that out, I most certainly will try to patent it and sell it to all those who want to lose weight without dieting. I’m back to pretty normal eating (laying off all the yummy pecan pie and cheesecake) and so far am holding my own with no significant loss since.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Fungus is great news!!! Happy for you! Hope they figure out the other stuff as well
    Unrepentant carb eater

Yay for some good news. Keep it up!
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

If they take out the gall bladder laparoscopically, then you'll be shelved for maybe a week, depending on healing time. However, I have known a couple of people who were supposed to have laparoscopy, and ended up with the full surgery, and that's up to six weeks recovery.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Thank you for updating the thread. I've been thinking of you.

Thanks everyone. I'm trying really hard to not do anything beyond light activity as the hospital wants and it's dam* hard as I'm sure you horse owners know!

A good friend of the girl that is doing my stalls and water has offered her teenage daughter (willingly I hope) to stay at the house and take care of the horses and dog over spring break if I can get the gall bladder surgery scheduled at that time. I go back to the hospital on Monday for another x-ray and hope the 'hole' has shrunk enough that I can do my own work. That's kind of my first priority. I really don't want to have to in to the hospital now (overnite or for a few days) and get my lung re-inflated.

So, as you wonderful COTH people have been so helpful, just keep your fingers crossed a little longer. whew.....
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

MSJ, just found this thread. Glad to hear about the good stuff. Hope they find that it's "really nothing". Will be thinking of you. ((Hugs!))
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Finally, the X-ray was good. Dr said only the smallest of holes and if you didn’t have previous X-rays to compare, you’d wouldn’t see it. I can still only lift about 20 lbs for another week but that means a little more than 1/2 bucket of water instead of 2” worth. I figure I can do 1/4 muck bucket and if takes 6 or more trips to the dumpster so be it-at least I finally can. It may take me a bit longer but at least I have to go ahead to do it.

It will probably be a while before I know anything about any gall bladder surgery. I will update then.

Thank you COTH members, I really do appreciate the wonderful wishes, comments, and kind gestures from all of you, especially since I don't know anyone in person. It really is nice to know there are caring people out there.
    Sue