The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

msj-unfortunately, the weight you 'lose' for the colonoscopy prep, comes back when you start eating and drinking again. It's very temporary.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

JanM, thanks. To be honest, that does make me feel better. I don't mind going down 1 or even 2 sizes of jeans, but anymore than that and I really will start to worry.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Actually when you think about it, losing 10 pounds in one evening, and night is scary, because you know exactly what you'll be doing for about 12 hours. But I repeat it's a lot of output, and it's not pleasant to drink the solution, but it's not painful (as long as you use the baby wipes everyone suggested). It's certainly an interesting experience, and I have absolutely embraced the doctors committee that recommended that if you have no family history, have no problems or polyps, and no other symptoms, that you don't need a repeat (my general practice doctor isn't going to like that one), so it was a one time thing for me, unless something happens. However, if someone has symptoms, or history, or other reasons, delaying can be scary.

I'm sure I've mentioned (probably until everyone on here is sick of seeing it, but here I go again) that I know a woman who had no health insurance from the late 1970s, until she qualified for Medicare, because she worked for herself, and didn't pay into the system, or worry about what would happen to her. When she qualified for Medicare, she went for all of the tests that she skipped for all of those years, and has been diagnosed with breast cancer (early, and stage 1), but was found to have a huge colon cancer, and it will probably not be survivable, and has resulted in major surgeries, and treatment. She could have made other choices, but she has said all along that she doesn't think people need to go to doctors, or have many tests, so I guess she found out the hard way, and it's a total shame.

msj -- just read this thread and I'm hoping for a good outcome for you.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

twelvegates, Thanks. I do appreciate your kind words.

The fact that I feel fine with no significant problems other than the unexplained wt loss.

Yes, I do admit to having put off a colonoscopy for yrs so I know I'm due. Also know that I've had chronic constipation problems my entire life so that's not anything new. Hey, things do get harder as you get older and I'm no spring chicken for sure.

JanM, I'm sorry for your friend. I've been lucky in that I've always had decent health insurance but to be honest consider Medicare to be mediocre as comparison. I've done the lumpectomy and partial masectomy with no sign of cancer, just lumpy boobs! Done foot surgery and hand surgery with good outcome.

Yes, I was a heavy smoker and know I have slight COPD, but I consider the fact it's only slight not that bad. Like I said before knowing from talking with others around here that after 50, it's not uncommon to have abnormalities on the chest X-ray and CT scan so I'm really not going to worry till I really have something to worry about.

I think I also said it in an earlier post that as long as I outlive my animals, I'll be happy.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

There are lots of explanations for weight loss, including some medications, muscle mass burns more calories so that might account for it, maybe you are busier, and don't snack as much, or you changed patterns (a friend went from 3 meals a day, to 6 tiny meals, and lost quite a bit), or are getting more exercise? There are lots of innocent reasons.

I also have a confession about colonoscopy-I didn't have mine until a couple of years ago, at 58. I had no symptoms, no family history, and used to live in a small town where you either went to the one GI doctor (I didn't hear great things about him), or traveled to the next town about 30 miles away. So I put it off until I moved here, and had a decent doctor, and it was easy to arrange, and find a ride. I came out with good results, but I should have done it sooner.

Brief update. So far I have the colonoscopy scheduled for Tuesday, Feb 18th at 1:15 PM. Great as I can do morning chores on a normal basis. I guess this gastroenterologist uses a different procedure. Everything gets done the night before!! Well, I'm figuring I can do the horses normal feeding where I'm done by 5, feed the dog, and about 6:30 go check the horses and walk dog. Then start the lovely procedure! I may be up a few extra hrs at night but I have plenty of books to read!

Have the appointment with the pulmonary Dr on Wednesday, Feb. 12th. That comes up sooner so I should have something to report. I did request a written copy of the CT scan. I need to pull my medical dictionary to try to figure out what is written there. I suppose I could call one of vet's I worked with at Kodak that was veterinary pathologist (VMD, PhD.) but I'm not even sure he's still in the area and the lab closed 10 yrs ago. Well, it's just till next wk and I have time to try to figure out what was in the report on my own with my trusty Stedman's.

Will update more as I know it.

PS. I still feel OK and have managed to stop any more wt loss by increasing my calories. Pecan pie is great and so is cheesecake. Just started using Half and Half in my coffee instead of 2% milk and am using whole milk for cereal instead of 2%. Also adding lots of yummy Greek yogurt which seems high in calories as well. I even bought a bag of Dorito's to eat while I scanned the Super Bowl to see the commercials.
    Sue

If you are adding calories from fat, watch your lipid profile in any blood work.
    If it shows higher than your baseline, mention that you added dietary fats, it is not that you may have something else wrong also.

Sounds like you have a good plan A to start with.
    Good luck with everything.

I'm one of the weird people who actually liked the colonoscopy. I did not have a bad time with the prep, the propofol was divine and recovery was nothing. Never felt so "light" as after it was all over. Really, nothing to dread at all. And my doc said i would stop drinking the prep when what was coming out looked like clear water, so I only had to drink half :-) Chilled it is not as bad.
    Sending thoughts and prayers for a non-eventful spat of doctor visits.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

i'm jingling for all good news for you!

and jealous as hell, cause as nauseas as I am I am still not losing weight.

1 members found this post helpful.

A little secret to the prep, Do not eat much 24 hours before. very light food, lots of water soups etc.
    The prep will be fast and easy and you will be cleaned out faster and easier. Plus you need the water to avoid dehydration. If you can keep the shit down it is not so bad, the stuff I had was so ghastly tasting I starting heaving after 3 glasses. Cold or not.
    Seriously who flavors this shit, Tropical blend, ?? yeah right!
    Best of luck Susan.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    A little secret to the prep, Do not eat much 24 hours before. very light food, lots of water soups etc.
    The prep will be fast and easy and you will be cleaned out faster and easier. Plus you need the water to avoid dehydration. If you can keep the shit down it is not so bad, the stuff I had was so ghastly tasting I starting heaving after 3 glasses. Cold or not.
    Seriously who flavors this shit, Tropical blend, ?? yeah right!
    Best of luck Susan.
    I love the irony
    Quarry Rat

Bluey, I'm also being a good girl and adding more fruit to my diet. But love those fat calories!

moonriverfarm-thanks for the tips!

suz-if I can figure out just why and how I'm dropping the pounds, I'll send you the secret before I patent it. In the meantime, just keep trying.

Kim-I'm only allowed a very light breakfast the day of, like toast or cereal BUT I'll keep this in mind. Remember though, I do need something to give me the strength to do the horses.

Mosey-2003-Yep, I did get the irony of Kim's statement. I kinda think she did it on purpose!

To ALL of you with your tips and descriptions, keep them coming. I want to get through the colonoscopy as easily as possible.
    Sue

oops, double post.
    Last edited by msj; Feb. 7, 2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: deleted double post
    Sue

Also, i lost exactly zero weight with the colonoscopy thing, but felt totally cleaned out!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Met with Dr. Kallay, pulmonary MD, to go over the results of the CT scan. He pointed out 5 questionable spots but, while he did not feel they could be lung cancer, he still wants me to have a biopsy. I certainly came out of his office feeling a whole lot better than I did before I went in. No idea when the biopsy will happen. His office is to get in touch so I can schedule. He also ordered blood tests and a urinalysis. I should have looked at the sheet to see what all but I didn’t. I do know the lab tech drew about 5 or 6 different vials. Not sure if I still have any blood left! Just joking.

Tomorrow is the CT scan the gastroenterologist has ordered of the abdomen and pelvis so he can see what going on inside and outside of the my GI tract.

I still feel fine. Tired from dealing with the winter but otherwise OK.
    As reported in a previous post, I did put the skids on the wt. loss but only by eating a lot of yummy fattening items like pecan pie, cheese cake, eating lots of Greek yogurt, using Half and Half in my coffee instead of 2% milk and even got a bottle of whole milk instead of any low percentage. Am currently holding my own but am going to go back to a normal diet and see if I start losing wt again.

I do hope with all the upcoming tests, the Dr’s can come up with a reason for the unexplained wt. loss and that it’s not going to seriously affect my health. If so, then I’m going to patent the reason and sell it as a great weight loss method. I’ll bet I can make millions! Hey, I’ve to inject some humor in this. If not, I’ll go crazy.

Thank you to all of you for your concern. Will keep you all updated as I find out anything.
    Sue

Great news. Thanks for keeping all of us updated.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Thanks twelvegates!
    Sue

So happy to hear that Sue, I> was going to go looking for this thread to see how things were going.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Thanks Kim. While I'm certainly not out of the woods, I do feel a lot better.

If nothing else, by the time this is all over, I will surely have had a very 'complete physical'!

Hey, Kim, how are your feet doing with PF? I really hope you're doing a lot better.
    Sue