The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Dieter’s, Eat your hearts out!!!

Over the last couple of months, without trying at all, I’ve lost 19 lbs. Diet has been basically the same with some minor changes, but nothing dramatic. Keep in mind, we just finished the Christmas and New Year’s parties so over indulgence is very easy and I’m not talking about drinking. Tis the season to gain, not lose, weight. ?

Admittedly, I’m a bit heavier than the charts probably say I should be but no way do I need to drop 100 + lbs. That is NOT a dig at some that do before you start your rants. While it’s nice to shed a few pounds, the 19 lbs really isn’t appreciated.

Yes, I’m more than a bit concerned. I just came back from my PCP and she has ordered blood tests and, yes, the dreaded colonoscopy which I have managed thus far to avoid. I’m 68 and I think you’re supposed to have them every 10 yrs unless colon cancer runs in the family. It doesn’t in mine and I’ve used every excuse in the book to avoid it. The latest is that I won’t go to the hospital with which my PCP is connected. She’s fine with that so I need to contact a neighbor, whose hubby is an ER Dr at a hospital that is only 15-20 minutes away vs. my PCP’s hospital which is 45-60 minutes away. I figure the neighbor can direct me toward a good Gastroenterologist or whatever their title is…

So, to ‘celebrate’ said lovely weight loss and to see if I can continue to lose in spite of eating all the junk food I can manage, I stopped at BJ’s and picked up not only a pecan pie but a cheesecake as well. Some friends and I have been joking about it because in December we missed our ‘ladies night out’ at our favorite Italian restaurant which positively MUST be the reason for the weight loss. I doubt it but going for lunch in a couple of days just to see.

While this post might seem a bit glib, believe me, I really am a bit concerned as I just lost a very good friend at Thanksgiving to cancer so please wish me luck.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

2 members found this post helpful.

Sue, hang in there. You will have a diagnosis soon, and hopefully it is something easy.

I see you are in Rochester - I spent a "teensy" amount of time there, but I hope you are going to University of Rochester Medical Center... (or somewhere else great)!

hang in there. Update us.
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Jan. 15, 2014 at 07:09 PM.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Over the last couple of months, without trying at all, I’ve lost 19 lbs. Diet has been basically the same with some minor changes, but nothing dramatic. Keep in mind, we just finished the Christmas and New Year’s parties so over indulgence is very easy and I’m not talking about drinking. Tis the season to gain, not lose, weight. ?

Admittedly, I’m a bit heavier than the charts probably say I should be but no way do I need to drop 100 + lbs. That is NOT a dig at some that do before you start your rants. While it’s nice to shed a few pounds, the 19 lbs really isn’t appreciated.

Yes, I’m more than a bit concerned. I just came back from my PCP and she has ordered blood tests and, yes, the dreaded colonoscopy which I have managed thus far to avoid. I’m 68 and I think you’re supposed to have them every 10 yrs unless colon cancer runs in the family. It doesn’t in mine and I’ve used every excuse in the book to avoid it. The latest is that I won’t go to the hospital with which my PCP is connected. She’s fine with that so I need to contact a neighbor, whose hubby is an ER Dr at a hospital that is only 15-20 minutes away vs. my PCP’s hospital which is 45-60 minutes away. I figure the neighbor can direct me toward a good Gastroenterologist or whatever their title is…

So, to ‘celebrate’ said lovely weight loss and to see if I can continue to lose in spite of eating all the junk food I can manage, I stopped at BJ’s and picked up not only a pecan pie but a cheesecake as well. Some friends and I have been joking about it because in December we missed our ‘ladies night out’ at our favorite Italian restaurant which positively MUST be the reason for the weight loss. I doubt it but going for lunch in a couple of days just to see.

While this post might seem a bit glib, believe me, I really am a bit concerned as I just lost a very good friend at Thanksgiving to cancer so please wish me luck.
    Like they say, after 40, it is patch, patch, patch, so I guess you and I are there now, almost 70, so yes, patch it is.

A neighbor in her 40's is going now for same as you are.
    Last kid turned 16, hoping it will be nothing that can't be fixed.

Hoping they find soon why the weight loss and you can patent that for the rest of us.

Thinking good thoughts for you Sue!

My brother lost 25 pounds, and when I asked him how he did it, he blithely replied "Oh, I just stopped eating my afternoon cookies." WRONG -- it turns out he had diabetes!

Not that diabetes is so great to live with, but weight loss doesn't mean only cancer, it could be different things. So don't jump to the worst possible conclusion. Hang in there!

right horse, have already contacted a friend whose hubby is a dept. head at UR and gotten some info. Just need to call and hopefully set up an appointment.

Bluey, I'm still chuckling about the patchs. That is so true unfortunately. I just want to outlive all my animals. Unfortunately the bloody horse is only 22 and his 1/2 brother turned 30!

Eventing J - thanks for the good thoughts. I expect to be out there cheering for you and Jolly this summer. It's got to be a better summer than last.

SMF11- lordy don't give me more to worry about with Diabetes. I know you didn't mean to. Diabetes does run on my Mother's side as her Mother had it. So far though no one else in the family has come down with that and while I'm not skinny, with the 19 lb wt loss, I'm probably now within 5 lbs where I should be so I'm really not too worried about being really over wt.

Believe me, if I do find out that nothing is wrong, I most certainly will patent the 'recent food intake'. I sure can't call it a 'diet' though!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

Susan, Sending good thoughts and healthy Prayers your way.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Please do check for diabetes - unexplained weight loss is a symptom.

I have it on both sides - parents and both grandmothers - so I get a blood sugar done annually. So far, at 63, I've managed to avoid it.

Re: the colonoscopy
    Like you I did all I could to not have it.
    Until my PCP told me "it's such a stupid way to die"
    She was right.
    The test itself is a non-event.
    Prep is a bit unpleasant, I admit that.
    But the sedative commonly used - Versed - is a gift of the gods

Congrats on your weight loss.
    Hope your tests all come back negative!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Kim, thanks for the good words.

2Dogs- I do keep diabetes in the back of my mind all the time. My grandmother was a double amputee as a result. I do know it's very manageable though.

Have to take a look at what blood work the Dr ordered. I'll check in with the lab today that draws the blood to see if the draw needs to be fasted or not. It's right next to where I'm headed at 11 AM for an oil change.

My very biggest concern about the colonoscopy is not me, the prep etc, but my animals. We're in the midst of a 'wonderful' winter and having people have to come and probably do an evening feed with the horses as well as have to come take the dog for a walk while I'm under anesthesia 'having wonderful dreams' worries me more. Also, I refuse to ask anyone to drive me and pick me up if the weather is bad so I'm just hoping I find a Dr that is VERY understanding about my possibly having to cancel at the last minute due to bad weather etc.
    Sue

It depends on the anesthesia used if you'll be loopy after or not. I had Propofol for mine, and the second they pushed the plunger, I was gone. The second they take the IV out, you're back. I had one millisecond of unsteadiness, and that was it. If they use other stuff, you'll need to rest after. You cannot drive yourself home. Even if you aren't feeling the effects, if something happens and you get in an accident, then you'll be blamed. Ask someone to take you, and drive you home, and then you can do the same service for them. If you have the Propofol, you'll be fine to do chores later by yourself, or to supervise. I know it's humiliating to ask for help, but I was stunned after I had my colonoscopy to find so many people I barely knew who said they would have driven me for that. My boss picked me up, and I did the same for her a month or so later when it was her turn. You cannot drive yourself. The GI doctor's office is responsible legally for you after the procedure, so you will not have the procedure if you don't have a ride. They did have a protocol at my doctor's office if you literally had no one to pick you up, and that was you had to stay in the waiting room for four or more hours after, and then you could take a cab home.

After you do the prep you will not want to reschedule, because you would have to do the prep again. Trust me, you don't want to do that.
    Last edited by JanM; Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

What JanM says!

They will not let you drive yourself home, period. They will need to see your driver in person.

I had propofol for mine...it was awesome. I get why MJ got hooked on it. The procedure itself is no big deal because you are out!

DO NOT PUT IT OFF. I did for a few years and sure enough they found polyps...one of them large and sessile. So I've had 2 colonoscopies to remove polyps and now have to go back again for another in the spring.

The prep is the nasty part. I had some trouble finishing the first time, so they switched me to what's called a "split prep". Much less volume, but more expensive.

Good luck!!

JanM and Roisin, had a response all typed out and lost it. Damn 'puters.

NY is the same and expect you to have someone there to take you home. Been through a few minor surgeries so I'm aware of it.

As for a cancellation, our meteorologists are pretty good here so I'd know the night before if the forecast is going to bad one and no need to do the prep and then have to cancel.

This is one reason why I wanted to wait till spring so I didn't have to worry about a snow storm or worse.

Thanks though for the reminder.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    After you do the prep you will not want to reschedule, because you would have to do the prep again. Trust me, you don't want to do that.
    ... I did that for a colonoscopy. Did the whole weekend prep (this doctor had you fast for 2 days, then do the prep solution), showed up Monday morning... and it was the wrong Monday!!

So I had to repeat the whole thing the next weekend.

Ugh.

OP: Have you had any major stressors in your life recently? I lost 25 pounds last year just from stress (and I didn't have the weight to lose). I only stopped losing when I started taking a bunch of corticosteroids.

I was wondering about stress too - in my family we tend to unintentionally become anorexic when majorly stressed. I lost 15 pounds without trying when my troubled 15 yo niece was living with me (offered to lend her out to anyone wanting to lose weight fast LOL)

But it sounds like OP is eating okay. I'm glad you're getting checked out and sending the best good luck vibes I can muster!

So sorry- good luck! I had lots of unexplained weight loss - turns out I have lupus.

My colonoscopy tips: in the couple of days leading up to it, go light on eating, and have lots of fiber. For the prep day/s, get lots of magazines and FLUSHABLE baby wipes. Your butt will thank you for it.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Your PCP probably ordered a fasting glucose to check for diabetes. Just to let you know that you can get a glucose monitor for about $10 at Walmart and the test strips for $9/50 strips. You might want to consider getting one and testing your morning blood sugar before you eat or drink anything. If it is 125 or more in a fasting state, you are diabetic. With that diagnosis out of the way, they will be checking for other things. Pecan pie and cheesecake would not be good choices if you are diabetic.

First off, no major stresses. Yes, I did lose a dear friend from home town and high school days at Thanksgiving to lung cancer but the wt loss started before that so while that didn't help, it didn't start it.

I'm retired and probably drive my neighbors crazy cause I'm really a very happy person. If I'm not singing, I'm whistling and, no, I cannot carry a tune in bushel basket. Besides the horses are a terrific daily sanity break.

Joanne, I'm really and truly not terribly worried about diabetes but thanks for the tip about the monitor from Walmart. Blood work (to be drawn tomorrow) does call for fasting glucose as just one of the tests. So far the cheesecake is still intact but can't say the same for the pecan pie. Honestly though, I rarely do sweets anymore except chocolate on occasion. Ice cream in the summer doesn't count though as that's dairy!

Have plenty of reading materials and baby wipes but being on a septic they get dumped in the garbage, not flushable.

Now, so far a prescription laxative has been started-no luck. Perhaps dynamite or C-4?? Hey, gotta have a little levity.

Also, during my appointment with PCP yesterday I asked about a low dose CT scan to check for lung cancer(primarily due to friends recent death). I did this as a recent segment on the evening news reported Govt guidelines recommended it annually for those that were heavy smokers or even those that stopped smoking as long as 15 yrs ago(I stopped 11 yrs ago and was a heavy smoker). PCP had to start with chest X-ray. Did that yesterday. This AM she calls that she wants a CT scan done due to something they saw on the X-Ray. Great I thought, just one more thing to worry about.

So the Dr office calls later that they have to get the referral from the insurance co to get the CT scan and colonoscopy and it will probably be a few days. I'm thinking, uh, I believe the colonoscopy is covered by my BC/BS coverage but then I realized that I'm dealing with Drs connected to one hospital that is 45-60 minutes from home and I requested the colonoscopy be done by another hospital that is 15 minutes from home. When I worked, I had my doctors close to work but being retired and living a distance away I've considered changing PCP, OB GYN, etc but I really, really like PCP, and I only go to OB GYN once/yr so it's no big deal. Besides I am able to deduct medical milage from income taxes so what the heck.

Other than being lame in left leg due to fall the day before Thanksgiving, I actually feel fine so I'm keeping happy thoughts in my mind and not going to really worry until I have something definite to worry about. Now, if I can keep thinking that I'll do OK.

Everyone, thanks very much for your thoughts, well wishes and suggestions. Right now it's just a matter of time and a waiting game. Time to head back out to check the horses and the dog needs to go for a walk.
    Sue

Well, no need to worry until you know if you really have something to worry about.

Then we will all worry with you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Graphic information time-with either prep method (lemon lime liquid, or salty stuff) the diarrhea is not painful. The laxatives aren't hideous with the pills, just a little more solid output than usual. The second dose of the salty liquid (sorry but it's true) the output of solid liquid is virtually instantaneous, so drink the second half of it in the bathroom. Use a big glass and a straw for consuming the salty stuff, and just gulp it. Elastic waist or drawstring pants are your friend, or you'll feel like you're in a vise around your waist. The gas after the colonoscopy smarts, and driving with the windows down may be necessary. Mostly the gas leaves after you are home. Wait a few hours to eat, and just stick with comfort foods, because you deserve a treat, and to relax. Put a stack of books next to the toilet, because you will have plenty of time to read. I had the big jug of salty liquid, and my stomach got so full that I felt like I swallowed a basketball. If that happens to you, just stand up, and wander around drinking the rest of the solution-don't try to hold your stomach in either. I mixed a container of Crystal Light lemonade in mine (you can do that if the instructions say so, if they don't ask the doctor's office about it).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Graphic information time-with either prep method (lemon lime liquid, or salty stuff) the diarrhea is not painful. The laxatives aren't hideous with the pills, just a little more solid output than usual. The second dose of the salty liquid (sorry but it's true) the output of solid liquid is virtually instantaneous, so drink the second half of it in the bathroom. Use a big glass and a straw for consuming the salty stuff, and just gulp it. Elastic waist or drawstring pants are your friend, or you'll feel like you're in a vise around your waist. The gas after the colonoscopy smarts, and driving with the windows down may be necessary. Mostly the gas leaves after you are home. Wait a few hours to eat, and just stick with comfort foods, because you deserve a treat, and to relax. Put a stack of books next to the toilet, because you will have plenty of time to read. I had the big jug of salty liquid, and my stomach got so full that I felt like I swallowed a basketball. If that happens to you, just stand up, and wander around drinking the rest of the solution-don't try to hold your stomach in either. I mixed a container of Crystal Light lemonade in mine (you can do that if the instructions say so, if they don't ask the doctor's office about it).
    I will add more graphic stuff, get preparation H and use liberally, as all that stuff coming thru will burn.

Ask the nurse what to keep on hand in pill form if you can't keep that stuff down enough to clean you out coming out of the other end.

Taking all that right, by the time you need to head for the doctors, you should be so cleaned out, you won't have to worry about needing to hurry to a bathroom, although some stay in a hotel the night before, as they have to come from too far.