The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone tried a Success Equestrian no-slip pad?

Do they work? The price is very good compared to the EcoGold?

I started a thread way back when to ask for comparisons between the Success version, EcoGold, and Barnsby No Slip. Don't think I had much feedback that really compared them, as most seem to have selected one and went with it. Since that time, I have actually gotten to use them all, as I'm a bit of a tack junkie and managed to locate all three for super prices.

So the Success pad is kind of more cheaply made than the EcoGold - just doesn't have as nice of an appearance and feel. But it does seem to work, and given that the price is so much better, I would recommend it. The Success one, however, is a bit thicker so it might change a saddle fit somewhat -- works well for my one horse that needs a bit of a thicker pad, but on another, I prefer the EcoGold as it is thinner. The EcoGold seems like it a bit more breathable as well... but that's just my perception from looking and feeling it and I don't really know that for sure. All my horses seem to do well in them both - didn't have any reactions like they were getting rubbed or too hot.

The Barnsby pad (not that you asked, but since we are talking no-slips!) is well made and I really like it, except it is cut a bit small in the drop from center to side -- works okay with my short flap saddle, but not any that are a "normal" flap length. I want the pad to go all the way down below the sweat flap as those that don't tend to get a little pinch of skin in there and irritate the horse.

I have a Success pad and love it. I have not tried the EcoGold but I have tried many other types of pads and this one fits my saddle (CWD) well and stays put. My horse is a narrow with a high wither and I like the thickness of the pad.
    **Stacey**

Love the Success. I have ridden in an Ecogold a few times and the Success is just as nice at a better price point.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I started a thread way back when to ask for comparisons between the Success version, EcoGold, and Barnsby No Slip. Don't think I had much feedback that really compared them, as most seem to have selected one and went with it. Since that time, I have actually gotten to use them all, as I'm a bit of a tack junkie and managed to locate all three for super prices.

So the Success pad is kind of more cheaply made than the EcoGold - just doesn't have as nice of an appearance and feel. But it does seem to work, and given that the price is so much better, I would recommend it. The Success one, however, is a bit thicker so it might change a saddle fit somewhat -- works well for my one horse that needs a bit of a thicker pad, but on another, I prefer the EcoGold as it is thinner. The EcoGold seems like it a bit more breathable as well... but that's just my perception from looking and feeling it and I don't really know that for sure. All my horses seem to do well in them both - didn't have any reactions like they were getting rubbed or too hot.

The Barnsby pad (not that you asked, but since we are talking no-slips!) is well made and I really like it, except it is cut a bit small in the drop from center to side -- works okay with my short flap saddle, but not any that are a "normal" flap length. I want the pad to go all the way down below the sweat flap as those that don't tend to get a little pinch of skin in there and irritate the horse.
    Wow--super helpful, thank you!

I agree w/horsepoor. I have both pads. Chose the Success for its lower price & it is thicker, which makes me feel that it is more comfortable for the horse. But just guessing on that point.

I'll be the only negative vote, as I didn't particularly like mine. In fact, gave it away. I have several barnsby's but my new favorite is this one:

http://www.cheshirehorse.com/Grandeu...Pad-P4397.aspx
    Bottom side is wool felt and it stays perfectly in place. Grandeur also makes a contour one that is perfectly shaped. This place seems to be the only source in US.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

The Dixie Midnight pad will not slip.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post

http://www.cheshirehorse.com/Grandeu...Pad-P4397.aspx
    Bottom side is wool felt and it stays perfectly in place. Grandeur also makes a contour one that is perfectly shaped. This place seems to be the only source in US.
    Wool felt, can that be washed? Those do look nice. And I love Cheshire Horse - great store.

Haven't tried the two mentioned by the OP but do use two of these! $10.95!

http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/for-the-...-slip-pad.html

I put one on my mare's back and the other between my saddle pad and half pad.

I have a Success half pad that is too narrow under the back panels of my saddle. I used it a couple of times and liked it but was afraid that since it was not wide enough and the edges were under weight bearing portions of the saddle panels.

I also have a combo AP pad and my saddle fitter was concerned that it would cause soreness because of where the seams would lay under any saddle. She is afraid of pressure points. Therefore I have not used that one.

I think there are design flaws regarding where the edges of the padded no slip portions hit under the saddle.

A dressage rider at our barn has one of the half pads that she loves and has had for years.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)