The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I can normally do pretty well with medical terms and drug names, after working in a hospital. There is a drug with the generic name of imipenem and I would ALWAYS want to say Impanema - which certainly always brought laughs during rounds. I finally gave up after a while and just called it by its trade name Primaxin.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

A bomb an a bull.... Thank you!!
    Gonna have to remember that!
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

I have problems with pattern. It comes out "pat-tren"

One of my best friend's now-husband didn't know how to say "antithesis." They were having some stupid arguement in college and he told her that she was the "Anti-Thesis of love." 10+ years later and we still rag on him for that. Not only is it a totally weird line to use in an arguement even when said correctly, it's just awesome when said anti-thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Emryss View Post
    It's regional. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/often?s=t

"Pronunciation note
    Often was pronounced with a t -sound until the 17th century, when a pronunciation without the [t] Show IPA came to predominate in the speech of the educated, in both North America and Great Britain, and the earlier pronunciation fell into disfavor. Common use of a spelling pronunciation has since restored the [t] for many speakers. Although it is still sometimes criticized, often with a [t] is now so widely heard from educated speakers that it has become fully standard once again. "
    Thank you Emryss..I am vindicated..sort of. Lol...and wrrrongg...sort of
    I still hate that teacher...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    But.. in-frared is correct! It needs the r! (or do you mean you pronounced it in-fraired?)
    I pronounced it "in-fraired"

*facepalm*

I usually stumble over 'rural' and 'brewery'.

I worked with someone who would pronounce 'illegitimate' as 'il IT e GIT a MIT'. She had to read something containing that word and after practicing for days, she still screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceylon Star View Post
    Mine. It comes out with either a T or a D on the end. No idea why, but it's been like that since I started talking and I can't knock off the end consonant.

There's a store in town called Capital Iron. Everyone says Iron like "eye-yern", but there's a radio ad for it that says iron "eye-rOn". Drives me mental.

There's also Buchart Gardens. I've always said "Boo-shart" but my buddy insists it's "butch-art". I still have no idea which is technically correct!
    I say Boo-tchart.

I couldn't say "geography" as a kid. I still have a little bit of trouble with the words that have an unexpected accent on the middle syllable. Like "microscopy". If I were just saying it, I would have no trouble -- if I were reading aloud, I would have the "micro" out of my mouth before remembering what I was supposed to do!

I am surprised that so many people have trouble with "rural". Do you just have trouble shaping the word? I think that's a little different than mispronouncing. I will admit it doesn't roll off the tongue, and it isn't a pleasant word. But it's not like there's another way of saying it -- that jumps to my mind anyway.

I grew up with a Boston accent but have mostly lost it. I am most often mistaken for a Canadian, mainly because of the way I say the word "out". I don't know where that came from. After having been made overly conscious of my missing Rs, I rarely slip on the common words like "cah" or "pahk". But after a few beers, I may let slip something like "effit" (effort) or patt'n (pattern).
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Our. I say it like are.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

It's not that I don't know how to pronounce it, but I have a really hard time saying compartmentalize

Exclamation

OMG rural!!
    Always comes out as rull or rule.

Slightly OT, but I can NOT spell 'language' without reciting the *mnemonic in my head that I learned in elementary school: "Larry And Nancy Gave Us A Green Elephant"

*Mnemonic, btw, is another word I can't pronounce.

I remember a girl in 6th grade, we were getting assigned a state with a partner to do a big oral presentation, and she was terrified she'd get Massachusetts because she can't say it any way but 'Mass a 2 shits'. She got it

I have a hard time now that I'm around Polish people (I have to do payroll, etc.) OMG, how do you say Dzierzynski??? I always just end up saying Dee-zer-zin-ski confidently, about half the time it works and I fool whoever I was telling, lol.
    Quarry Rat

My husband cannot say 'navigable'. It comes out navigitabable. So now he does it just to make me laugh
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Roar, Aurora. The first R comes out sounding like an R/W hybrid. I had speech therapy as a kid and my Rs sound fine except for those two words, so I just don't say them. Ever.

Texts... how do you say that so it doesn't come out TEX???
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Potato. I always say pa d "long a" d "short a" I think it's because that's how my born in Ireland Grandmother always said it, and it just stuck.

And, how in the world can I start saying aLmond and stop saying amond?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I remember a girl in 6th grade, we were getting assigned a state with a partner to do a big oral presentation, and she was terrified she'd get Massachusetts because she can't say it any way but 'Mass a 2 shits'. She got it

I have a hard time now that I'm around Polish people (I have to do payroll, etc.) OMG, how do you say Dzierzynski??? I always just end up saying Dee-zer-zin-ski confidently, about half the time it works and I fool whoever I was telling, lol.
    I believe that dz sound is one combined sound, when I say it, it's more of a hard G sound. For example, good day in Polish is Dzien Dobry, and it sounds like 'gin doh-bry'
    So I think that name is something like Jer-zin-ski.
    Of course the American pronunciation might be something totally different! My Polish ex boyfriend had the last name Dabrowski (a little tail thing on the 'a') and it was pronounced 'dom-brov-ski' as opposed to the American version 'dah-brow-ski'....
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

I always say "Half of one, six a dozen of the other."

I was watching the news the other night and I realized that regionally, the word 'but' may have two syllables.

I saw teenagers pronouncing it 'boo-it.'

I can't pronounce metastasize, and I hope never to need to.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Up until I went to college I could not pronounce breakfast. It came out brefast. I finally make myself pronounce it as break_fast with a long pause between the two words. Eventually I could shorten it up. Occasionally I still revert.
    Funny thing is my co-worker says it the way I used to say it.

I have a number of others I can't say for the life of me but can't remember any others right now.

My mom always says mammy-o-gram instead of mammogram.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)