The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Eight is enough! PLEASE HELP!

I got back from the vet's last night. Little Fluffy Rescue is harboring at least 7, probably 8 pups in there and they're going to be with us in a week or two.

I work at a Park that has a large water feature. Back in November, someone dumped LFR out of the car with a Chihuahua who kept running and wasn't caught. LFR ran into the water and almost drowned before a net could be brought out to fish her out of the water. She was in the water for about 10 minutes, and was starting to go down.. Just her nose barely peaking out of the water by the time they got her.

She was brought to my office, and the rest is history - as they say. She looks like there may be Maltese in her somewhere.

The first day home, before I got her to my house, we stopped by the vet's and she got her DTP and later was checked for worms and came up clean. I didn't do the Rabies, 'cause the vet wanted her to get over her trauma a bit before hitting her with too many vaccines.

So her tummy kept growing, and here we are. YIKES!

She has settled in with my two older Dobies (female and cut large male), but I'm concerned about the situation. I haven't done puppies in decades, and never in a multiple dog home. She loves the old dogiloo that the large dogs can't get into. She goes there when she wants to get away from the big ones.

Can she whelp in there? how will the Dobies likely respond to the pups? I have some old chain link panels that I used to have as dog runs. Should I set them back up and set her up in that?

All help appreciated.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/He...tml?sort=3&o=1

This pict taken as she was drying off in the office.
    Last edited by Sparrowette; Jan. 15, 2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added link to picture.
    Founding Member: Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique

When my grandmother's perfume bottle broke, my young second cousin said: "Nana! You smell like a French HORSE!"

1 members found this post helpful.

She's adorable and you will definitely need to have a separate and safe place for her and her puppies away from your other dogs for a few months-until the puppies are big enough to adopt out.

3 members found this post helpful.

Go to Toys R Us and get a kiddie pool. Put it in a secluded place like a spare bedroom. Since she is little and the other dogs are big you can get a baby gate and put it far enough up that she can duck under it for now to get in and out. You will want to lock her in completely once the puppies come. Don't know how big it is but you might be able to fit the igloo thing in there as well.

You want a copy of this book http://www.amazon.com/Canine-Reprodu...words=whelping

and this one http://www.amazon.com/Canine-Reprodu...=phyllis+holst

Those two books cover almost everything. Towels, towels, and more towels.
    What is likely really important with anticipated litter size is knowing when to go for a c-section as just on litter size alone, your little girl is going to be at a much higher risk of needing a c-section. Does your veterinarian refer after hours emergencies? Depending on your area, if you land at an emergency clinic, you could easily be looking at $1500 to $2500 for a c-section. If you contact the closest AKC all breed club, they may very well have a member or two willing to be available for phone support or even willing to keep you company while your girl delivers.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Adorable, and good for you for rescuing her!

I've never been a puppy mom, but my trainer has bred Corgis over the years and based on his experiences, you definitely need to anticipate a C-section, especially given that you don't know who/what daddy is. Marshfield's cost is right on--trainer's last bitch just needed an after-hours C-section at $1800. Don't wait, take her in if you think she's having any issues--he waited (on his vet's advice) and ended up at the emergency vet and lost 2 puppies.

Definitely take lots of pictures! Puppies are just as adorable as baby kittehs!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

another vote for watch closely for a c section. my first litter was a c after te last puppy (number 7!) was badly positioned. I lost the pup, but had I waited very long I 'd have lost momma too. They make baby gates with a tiny little door that mommy could get in/out and big dogs couldn;t.
    http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-0930PW.../dp/B000JJDI0G

When mommy is ready, plan to be there. You will need to start taking her temp daily- when you see the temp change she will likely have them in 24 hours.

I build a whelping box, but a small kiddie pool works well too. Momma wants to scratch and dig, this is one of the early signs of labor, along with panting. I used throw away towels and newspapers for her to nest in.

I whelp them out with washcloths and towels that i bought cheap to throw away after. Catch, clean rough up til breathing well, give to momma. Count placentas and don't let her eat them. don;t cut cords, tear with fingernails.

Unresponsive puppies can take up to 30 minutes to start breathing, don't give up too quickly, but be aware that such a large litter may well include one or two who don't make it.

I would shave mommy down into a puppy cut now, if you haven't and shave her belly and under her tail to the skin- much easier to clean.

All of mine have started whelping between midnight and 5 am, so be prepared to lose sleep. Mine sleep in the bed, and every litter but one saw the first puppy born in the bed because after a week of false alarms I didn't believe she was really in labor.

Worth a vet trip after everyone is dry and warm to make sure all is well with mommy and kids. Some vets will give a shot to "clean out" mommy at that time.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Oh and after born-
    Get tiny tiny little collars, with colors. Color coding puppies makes your logs more accurate. I called them by their colors as well so as to get slightly less attached. I weigh daily for the first 2-3 weeks. They should gain each day- worry about any that stay the same, vet if they lose.

Do NOT let the world come visit until they are older. Upsets mom and can bring in disease.

Consider doing superdog for first 3-4 weeks- proven to create smarter more trainable puppies:
    http://breedingbetterdogs.com/pdfFil...ulation_en.pdf
    Eyes 10-14 days
    walking ish 3 weeks
    Soaked solid foods when they start walking- I like biljac dry for puppies- totally unique texture, very very easy for little mouths
    worm at 4 weeks, shots at 6, DO NOT let go to new homes before 8 weeks (illegal), and preferably 10 weeks (social development is best when kept with mom littermates that long)

DO NOT take out of house/around other dogs until parvo series complete. You do not want a whole litter with parvo (been there (not mine) ).

I use wee wee pads- start by covering whole room. Gradually reduce down to 2-3, puppies will be paper trained VERY fast. I tape the edges to the floor, otherwise puppies make confetti of them.

I buy each puppy its own toy and teach them to play with them. When they go home they take the toy, for comfort in a new place.
    ~Vet Tech Student

awww - Momma is cute - thanks for saving her.

looks a bit like my Chi mix - all that hair!
    my chi mix - 50% chihuaha (dad 100%) 25% bishon and 25%yorkie

Thanks everyone! Vet said to take temp - that there would be a drop, there should be no more than 2 hours between each pup, and to feel her after 7 to see about any more. Now I understand that there may have been some things he didn't say... C-section was not in my plans..

Kiddie pool and gate are on the list and looking at the books. Thankfully, I do have a spare room.

I work for a living. What do I do while I'm working? The dogs have always gone outside while I'm gone, so do I set her up in the room and just clean up her accidents? She has some panties-we've been working on teaching to hold it, but I don't think she could wear them all day.

When my grandmother's perfume bottle broke, my young second cousin said: "Nana! You smell like a French HORSE!"

I'm now officially requesting jingles for an uncomplicated, normal delivery of all pups, and that they are all healthy and happy.

5 members found this post helpful.

I once had a litter of thirteen Afghan Hound pups... I, too had a spare bedroom and used it as the puppies room. I papered the floor with newspapers, but once the pups started moving around on their own, it was an utter mess. The boys were not using their sandbox anymore, so I put that in the room and put the newspapers in the sandbox. In no time at all the pups were using it as a litter box, and clean up was a snap. We also built a feeding station...just a long piece of plywood (with short legs) that my husband cut holes to fit their little stainless steel bowls down in. Each pup had its own dish, and monitoring how much they were getting was so much easier. It was utter chaos at times, but those pups were so danged cute!!!! Good luck with yours.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

All i can say is good luck. Having puppies is an amazing experience. nothing like the joy that tiny puppies bring. But also a ton of work. When we had our 7 jrt pups, We had a tile floor and covered it with newspapers. As they grew, kept pushing the newspapers to only one side of the room, and they knew to potty on them. IDK how, but they figured that out.

I would seperate her while you're at work. Put down one of those big metal drop trays with a few pee pads in it in your spare room and keep her in there.

I wouldn't want her to be around the other dogs while she's laboring.

For marking puppies I know some breeders that use colored yarn or curling ribbon.
    The breeder we got Cooper from used a dab of white paint or nail polish. It was a litter of black labs. So there was white shoulder girl, white shoulder boy, white head boy/girl, white butt boy/girl and no white boy/girl.

Cooper's breeder had a big welping box in the garage and when the puppies got a little older she put a blue pool with shredded newspaper in there as a litter box and the puppies learned to use that.
    When we got Coop home we built him a box and put a rabbit cage pan with paper in the corner of the box. When he got a bad case of diarrhea from his dog food he used the rabbit pan as a litter box. It made clean up much easier.

Years ago I found a pregnant cat. She delivered one kitten in the wee hours of the morning. I then had to go to work. My vet was very nice and let me drop her off for them to monitor for the day. I picked her up after work. She had one more kitten at the vets and two more at home after work. She really took her time. I was much happier having the vet monitor her. The staff loved having her there. They didn't even charge me.

Jingling for an uneventful delivery with healthy puppies.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Don't have any advice, just want to say thank you for rescuing her. She is cute!

Way back in the dark ages, my parents bred our Great Dane. They built a separate ROOM in the garage for her to whelp. As a kid, I just took it in stride, but looking back, it was a big deal. Garage was huge, so room was the size of a good bedroom.

Built it in a corner, so only needed two walls, but they framed, dry-walled, painted, the whole nine yards. Put in a couch, some chairs, a door, obviously. It was basically "Sonna's room". She was very protective of that territory, too.

Good luck!
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

No experience with this at all, but sending Jingles!!! She sure is cute!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Puppies are fun; it's not PC to admit it!

The temp taking works for me. Be careful of her; she's little. Too long without progress is a bad thing and she will surely take on this project in the middle of the night.

Give her private small spaces to whelp if you're gone when it starts; make it a place you can access easily. She'll do what she has to do unless a pup gets stuck and then you will need to get her help. It's usually the first one IME.

Dogbreedinfo actually has a ton of information.

I might be able to send a very good home your way; my mom lives in NM and wants a small fuzzy type dog. It's dog paradise.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

I would keep her separated when you are not home, but no more panties. If she did go into labor unexpectedly they could be a big problem.l
    my stuck puppy was the last one- and if i hadn't had her x-rayed id never have know one was missing. She showed NO more signs of labor,and no distress. The puppy couldn;t be felt in her belly. I found feet on vaginal exam, but no nose. Feathering did nothing so off to the vet.
    ~Vet Tech Student

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate all this good advice.

Shayaalliard: Ok, we are now sans panties, and so far, no accidents.

And that gate you linked to is on the way. I already have an old one but it's the no frills kind, and if I put it up high for her to get under, I couldn't get over it. That one you linked to looks great and is on its way.

Marshfield: I downloaded the kindle version of one of the books. The other didn't have that format.

I had forgotten that I have a copy already of the "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" so I'm going to go through that this afternoon after work.

We started the 1/2 and 1/2 puppy/dog food yesterday and she cleaned it all up, so I think she likes what I got, which was the Blue brand from the "natural" pet food store. The puppy food was Vet's idea so she'll have more calcium etc.

I'm going to see if my daughter can loan me one of her electronic thermometers. All I have are the mercury type.

I'm not real handy with building things, and don't have any guys in my life that are. Money is tight right now. I have a non paying tenant (yesterday, got judgement-no money, just judgement) and they have a date to vacate. But my budget has gone to the wind..

Would perhaps 2 of these work as puppy feeders?
    http://www.amazon.com/Skid-Stop-Slow...s=puppy+feeder

Where does one find newspaper any more? What could be used instead? At thrift stores, sometimes you see coated picnic table cloths. Could that be used instead and washed? I think it might be cheaper than pee pads, and more available than newspaper.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowette View Post
    Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate all this good advice.

Shayaalliard: Ok, we are now sans panties, and so far, no accidents.

And that gate you linked to is on the way. I already have an old one but it's the no frills kind, and if I put it up high for her to get under, I couldn't get over it. That one you linked to looks great and is on its way.

Marshfield: I downloaded the kindle version of one of the books. The other didn't have that format.

I had forgotten that I have a copy already of the "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" so I'm going to go through that this afternoon after work.

We started the 1/2 and 1/2 puppy/dog food yesterday and she cleaned it all up, so I think she likes what I got, which was the Blue brand from the "natural" pet food store. The puppy food was Vet's idea so she'll have more calcium etc.

I'm going to see if my daughter can loan me one of her electronic thermometers. All I have are the mercury type.

I'm not real handy with building things, and don't have any guys in my life that are. Money is tight right now. I have a non paying tenant (yesterday, got judgement-no money, just judgement) and they have a date to vacate. But my budget has gone to the wind..

Would perhaps 2 of these work as puppy feeders?
    http://www.amazon.com/Skid-Stop-Slow...s=puppy+feeder

Where does one find newspaper any more? What could be used instead? At thrift stores, sometimes you see coated picnic table cloths. Could that be used instead and washed? I think it might be cheaper than pee pads, and more available than newspaper.

Thanks again!
    Drive around early in the mornings and see which neighbors get a paper delivered, many only get the Sun. Ask them for the paper once done with it.

Drive around on recycle day and steal the ones that people have bundled on the curb.
    I would think the vinyl picnic table clothes would get shredded and might be ingested.

DH used two 4 X 8 sheets of plywood that he cut lengthwise to make 4 2'X8' panels. He then cut a 2"X3" or a 1" X 1" into 4 2ft sections. Stuck the 2"X3" in the corners to screw the plywood to.

We had a lab puppy so would need it taller and larger than you would for a small dog. You might be able to get some free or cheap scrap boards from Craigslist. You might want to screw the boards two high on the sides if they are only 2 by 6. If you can measure, mark, use a handsaw and a drill driver it shouldn't be too complicated. I would screw it together using deck screws. Many newer deck screws come with their own star drive bit in the box. Or buy a small amount and make sure they are a standard phillips head. As long as the front length matches the back length and the side match each other you should be good. Square or rectangle is fine.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)