The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

When reading these threads about riders finding THE saddle, I was confused at how people would know just by sitting in a saddle and riding in it once that that was the one. After realizing my beautiful, comfortable, flat with no blocks Butet really wasn't a good fit for my mare, I started looking around. Trying saddles isn't something like you sit in it and fireworks go off, at least it wasn't for me. I had to ride in the saddle a bunch, get used to the different feel. But now that I found the saddle I want, a CWD SE01, my Butet now feels foreign to me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Personally, once the saddle fits the horse, I'm not terribly picky about me. That said, the one thing that seems to really do me a disservice is the saddles that put me in an "easy chair" position. I find it really hard to stay with the horse in these saddles.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I agree. Everyone should wear the same size shoes, pants, and helmets too. It's all a big marketing gimmick.
    There is some truth to what cm says. I've seen people taken to town by saddle fitters and I've seen people spending tons of money on so many different saddles because something is never quite right with what they have.

That doesn't mean the whole industry is a gimmick, but there is tons of room for abuse.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    There is some truth to what cm says. I've seen people taken to town by saddle fitters and I've seen people spending tons of money on so many different saddles because something is never quite right with what they have.

That doesn't mean the whole industry is a gimmick, but there is tons of room for abuse.
    I'm the first to say there's a lot of PR schlock in the industry (my favorite is the TC "One side tree fits all horses, it's magic!") but clearly different saddles fit different horses/riders differently and it DOES make a difference. CM's post was very black and white. I was pointing out that it's not. CM implied that the only people sucked in by saddle fitting are bad riders and it's all about money. That's, frankly, an absurd statement. All you have to do is look at the leaderboard of the top riders to see ALL DIFFERENT shaped horses and riders.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I'm the first to say there's a lot of PR schlock in the industry (my favorite is the TC "One side tree fits all horses, it's magic!") but clearly different saddles fit different horses/riders differently and it DOES make a difference. CM's post was very black and white. I was pointing out that it's not. CM implied that the only people sucked in by saddle fitting are bad riders and it's all about money. That's, frankly, an absurd statement. All you have to do is look at the leaderboard of the top riders to see ALL DIFFERENT shaped horses and riders.
    Funny. While I find cm's post to often be insulting* (and this one is no different) I don't read her as black and white. Her statement was basically that many saddle fitters prey on the less successful riders for the commercial opportunity. That is true. I don't think it was an exhaustive comment on the saddle fitting industry. BUT, we all read things different.

cm has a very narrow view of riding that always comes through the lens of top shows/horses/riders and how we are all trying to be (or own) those things and if we aren't, we really aren't worthy to have an opinion on anything.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Funny. While I find cm's post to often be insulting* (and this one is no different) I don't read her as black and white. Her statement was basically that many saddle fitters prey on the less successful riders for the commercial opportunity. That is true. I don't think it was an exhaustive comment on the saddle fitting industry. BUT, we all read things different.

cm has a very narrow view of riding that always comes through the lens of top shows/horses/riders and how we are all trying to be (or own) those things and if we aren't, we really aren't worthy to have an opinion on anything.

Well, given that it doesn't even have pronoun antecedent agreement-- I suppose the meaning is not crystal clear
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Riding in the wrong saddle threw my back out a couple years ago, I was 25. I could barely walk after riding in my old trainer's dressage saddle, literally only lasted about 30 min riding in it. I think the fit has to be very, very wrong for it to really make a difference, but the saddles I bought to fit my horse luckily works well for me too (Thorowgood T8 in High Wither model for both my dressage and AP saddle).
    Team Ginger

A few years ago I went to sell my Beval Devon that absolutely did not fit my horse. My trainer had a student that might be interested in for her jumper pony. They started the lesson with her regular saddle. It was just one of those days where rider and pony were not in sync. Could not get a spot to save their lives, chips, ducking out, getting left behind, etc...
    They considered calling it a day but decided to switch to the Beval. The two just clocked around and got every distance, pony stopped refusing. The difference apparently was like night and day.

The parents had been on the fence about the price on my saddle and if they really wanted to spend it. Once they saw the difference there was no longer any discussion on whether it was worth it.

The girls previous saddle just made it really hard for her to stay where she belonged in the saddle. The right saddle made a huge difference. The fact that you could see the difference 10 minutes apart just made it more apparent.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

You guys were really so helpful. I happened to have a day recently where I rode in a couple of vastly different saddles and was able to compare and contrast how I felt. It was interesting. I was already on a bit of a saddle hunt for one horse, so now I've ramped up the search and have my first rep coming soon. It's kind of a brave new world since the days of my one size fits all (or does it?) Hermes.

I do have to say the saddle shopping threads are super terrifying...lol.