The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat Urine vs. Furniture

While the subject line is pretty self explanatory, there is a back story (of course) to how I have found myself in this situation.

Two or three months ago my boyfriend and his cat moved in! I have a dog, the cat and the dog reenacted WWIII for about 2 weeks until Moses (cat) wised up and decided to stick it to Molly (dog) with some well timed swipes to the face. After that everything was fine. As a kitten Moses had some issues with inappropriate urination/marking due to stray cats around the old apartment, he overcame those issues before moving here. Until yesterday, we had experienced no issues with inappropriate urination, very obediently used his litter box. We are in a very urban area and I feel it would be dangerous to let him out, lots of cars, and he always removes any attempt at wearing a collar.

Yesterday, he peed on a blanket placed over the couch in the living room right in front me. While I was squealing at him he was clearly straining and would not stop. At that point I notice it is bloody urine, call vet and work him in, get there and his bladder is empty so he had to go back this morning. We brought him back and he acted a little funny due to pain medication but not terrible. This morning I get up and am convinced he's obstructed because there is no urine in his litter box. I'm very worried UNTIL I check the blanket (which clearly I should have moved, but feared he may try to use the couch again) and see that he has peed good amounts of more bloody urine several times on the blanket. He has since been returned to the vet (which was always the plan, hopefully they can get urine today and we can get to the bottom of it) But now I'm left with the aftermath. The blanket is trash and MOSTLY saved the sofa except for 2 spots. Now I'm worried the couch may also be a goner and the entire living room smells like cat urine.

I worked for a company that did some carpet cleaning so I'm familiar with what a unique enemy cat urine presents. I would love to salvage the couch (that needs to be reupholstered due to clawing issues anyway). I've never had a cat so while I am VERY proficient with dog mess clean up, this is my first cat mess clean up attempt. Any magic tricks to save my sofa?!?!?

Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution or the equivalent REALLY works. But you have to use copious quantities (it needs to reach all of the urine to work). It reacts with the odor-causing substances and neutralizes them-- but it has to get to them and there has to be sufficient quantity to react. So, if you still smell urine, you either missed a spot or didn't use enough. Good luck and hope kitty feels better soon.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, also wouldn't be surprised if he got crystals and/or cystitis from stress; it happens to some cats. Vet should be able to recommend a diet and maybe some changes to the environment that will help that.

Do not spend your money on any product except this one. I have spent close to $1000 trying them ALL and they all suck. This is all I will buy from now on.

http://www.amazon.com/Thornell-CO-OC...s=cat+odor+off

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution or the equivalent REALLY works. But you have to use copious quantities (it needs to reach all of the urine to work). It reacts with the odor-causing substances and neutralizes them-- but it has to get to them and there has to be sufficient quantity to react. So, if you still smell urine, you either missed a spot or didn't use enough. Good luck and hope kitty feels better soon.
    Never had any luck with Nature's Miracle. If you read the directions you need to keep the area wet for a long time for it to work on stuff like carpet. It then tends to start smelling like mold or mildew. We could probably get it to work this time of year but not so much in the summer when it is humid.

OdoBan seems to work much better to neutralize it. I personally hate the smell of OdoBan so once it dries I then spray the furniture with somethingl like Frebreeze to get rid of the OdoBan smell.

I have not tried Laurierace's suggestion.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Bissell's cat urine eliminator worked really well for me,
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Agree with Laurierace-that's good stuff. NM has never worked for me. Bleach water works but depends on the material you're cleaning.

If I have to buy locally I use something called BAC, it has lime juice and enzymes. Absolutely SATURATE the place, once or twice as necessary.

Cat pee is amazingly smelly stuff!
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I had Nature's Miracle on hand and I don't think I've used enough, so I will continue the battle with that for right now before moving on to new and different solutions.

Baxtersmom - you were correct he has idiopathic cystitis (which as I told the boyfriend, seems to be a diagnosis of exclusion i.e. no sign of infection or crystals). The vet was not overly helpful with suggestions but so far it's sounding like he needs more H2O intake which seems easiest to accomplish through diet change with wet food. I'm most worried that the vet said it should take about 5 days to clear up, which leaves us with 3 more days of eliminating willy nilly! Sigh…I hope he sticks to the one area. Poor guy, I want him to feel better, I also don't want his stinky urine everywhere!

Laurierace - I've placed my order.

Can you put him in a crate or a powder room for a few days?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I used anti-icky poo with a similar situation and it kind of worked. The smell was mostly gone, but would re-emerge when it got damp. I even injected the stuff into the cushion.

The cat had peed first on the sofa cushion and then peed again after I lifted the cushion off so I had urine on the sofa itself.

I finally hauled off the cushion to a place that advertised being able to get rid of animal odors. They treated it with hydrogen peroxide and kept it bagged. And repeated until the uV light showed no more. The guy said that the trick was to use the peroxide just dilute enough that it wouldn't bleach the fabric, which is a percentage higher than the medical stuff and lower than the hair bleach stuff. Then I had them come out and do the house (he'd peed in the corners) and the rest of the sofa. Anyway, it worked. And they did a most excellent job on the carpets that I had cleaned at the same time. Ironically, the name of the company was something like Bobcat.
    The Evil Chem Prof

That is one of the countless products I tried. Cat Odor Off is the only thing you need.

I adopted a Siamese once that hit the couch. I had just ordered the couch from Calico Corner, too. But, I was able to order new cushions, and just wash the covers in cold water in my front loader. Was lucky he didn't hit the solid back. Although thinking I was just ordering 2 cushions, they actually goofed and sent me 2 sets of cushions . So I have lots extra for any future animal accidents.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Vinegar. My male cat got a UTI through the stress from moving. I washed everything with vinegar, including the carpets using those rental carpet cleaners. It worked wonders and so much cheaper than the commercial stuff. I had zero luck with Nature's Miracle.

I know keep a gallon of vinegar on hand all the time. Clothes smelling a little horsey? Vinegar. Just dyed your hair? Vinegar rinse. Sink not smelling so fresh? Vinegar.

I swear by one of thornell's other products which is K.O.E. or kennel odor eliminator. Some of the best stuff ever invented. If the COO even comes close to K.O.E. you'll be happy

One of my cats was diagnosed with the same thing as yours and the solution was kitty prozac. It worked great, so if things don't improve with yours discuss that option with your vet. I also did the wet food switch for awhile, because this cat was never a big drinker (until we moved, apparently he just hated the water at our old house-so maybe try giving distilled or spring water to your cat as well and he will drink more on his own?)

I second the recommendation for Odoban. Anytime there is a pee spot, I spray the heck out of it with the Odoban (I buy the gallon jug and mix myself), and the surrounding area. Works great. However, I too have a piece of furniture-a recliner-I thought my cats had ruined with pee. So what I did was powerwash the sucker with upholstery cleaner, then rinsed with the water/Odoban combo and left out to dry. Worked like a charm. Might be a little harder with a sofa, but its something to think about!

Just had to deal with this myself. It was a dog, not a cat but I used the cat version anyway as I feel like it is stronger. It removed the urine odor completely but it really smelled like the cat odor off a couple of days either so I cleaned it with the carpet cleaner and it is good as new.