The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ogilvy half pads

I had never heard of these until today. They are a big thing locally, but what makes them so special? someone please adumecate me. I dont understand how memory foam(thats the main material right??), that ends up compressed, be a good thing for a horses back. I also have big concerns about the retention of heat from the horse's back during hard work.

Someone please explain to me what it is I'm missing?

Well I am not an expert, but I have one and I love it. Typically they are used more under a jumping saddle than a dressage saddle, since a dressage saddle should generally have a more customized fit.

They do not retain heat at all. I use mine with and Ecogold pad and my horse loves it. He has a sensitive back and can easily get back pain if he doesn't have his correct saddle on.

Take a heavy object and set it on your leg. Take an Ogilvy pad and then set it on your leg with the heavy object on top of it. Tell me which one feels better.

Pretty basic explanation but memory foam feels good under a saddle. I have not seen any ill side effects from long term use - just the opposite.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. skeptical. There's a big bandwagon at my barn right now but I think it stems from the custom colors and high price tag (high price tags = things to lust for). My saddle fitter still has me using my thinline pad because it helps with the concussion and doesn't change my saddle fit. Maybe they should coat the thinlines in memory foam and wrap them in custom colors?
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

I couldn't explain the why of them, and I make no claims that Ogilvy is better than other memory foam pads, but my OTTB with back issues loves his.

It was immediately apparent that it made working for him under saddle more comfortable. My pad is very slim and didn't alter the fit of his saddle. It's just extremely comfy for him.

What do Ogilvy pads go for? I already thought Thinlines were expensive!!

Quote Originally Posted by WinsomeTK View Post
    What do Ogilvy pads go for? I already thought Thinlines were expensive!!
    Website pricing which is the same as I see at the show booths - the fabric quality is top drawer

And what's the lifespan of one of those gems (they must be filled with gold)? I mean you probably can't really wash a memory foam pad?

He cover is removable/washable & comes out beautifully.

If Thinline pads were marketed with a similar cover, they would be in the same price range.

If your horse is one that really benefits from this type of pad, the it's well worth the investment; if you're not a fan, there are many alternate pads on the market ...

I use the Ogilvy baby pads (wool flocked saddles) & they are far above the competition in quality & durability (& washability).

Nice, they thought well making a washable cover. I guess if the horse benefits from it, why not...

I am still flabbergasted that memory foam and a fabric cover can cost that much, but that can be said of many simple things in life...

I know nothing about them, but they are the hot thing at our barn right now as well. From the benefits I'm hearing, it seems like you have nothing to lose other than having a lighter wallet. Really would love to hear anymore inputs good and bad you guys might have or have heard.

Also, I bought mine second hand - barely used for $100. You can buy new covers if needed. Greenhawk makes knock offs for about $80.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Also, I bought mine second hand - barely used for $100. You can buy new covers if needed. Greenhawk makes knock offs for about $80.
    Could there really be such a quality difference between the Greenhawk and the Ogilvy to justify the price difference? Or is it that the Ogilvy comes in customized colours? I think you can buy covers for the Greenhawk ones as well.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I used these a few times and on some horses they are awesome. Like riding on a marshmallow. But on my horse it feels like it's just too much between us and I don't have enough contact and neither of us likes that. Which is fine with me because those things are expensive!

These pads are fantastic. I do not lust for things with high price tags or for fads...I work very hard to participate in this sport; I research almost everything I buy and I make the most informed decisions I possibly can for the comfort of my horse and my wallet. These pads are expensive, no doubt. But so are the Thinlines and just about every other equine product that has science and solid construction behind it. Welcome to our sport! These pads are popular at my barn, and sure we love the custom colors...who doesn't?! I have tried just about every half pad/corrective pad out there and this is by far my favorite. You know, the purists say you should never need any corrective pads if your saddle truly fits, but the realists know we can't buy a new saddle every 6 months to perfectly fit the changes in our horses' weight, muscle, etc nor can most of us afford different saddles if you ride multiple horses. SO... I noticed an immediate and lasting improvement in the comfort level in my 25 year old TB jumper, who was still competing at the time I first tried this pad. He was rounder, softer. I now use this on a bulldozer of a Warmblood who can get back sore to the touch...I have noticed more of a difference riding with this pad than when the chiropractor comes. And here's the real kicker...MY back feels amazing! My horse pulls and is heavy on his forehand when jumping, and my back has suffered. But this pad has made that discomfort all but vanish.

So...fad or not (lots of things in our sport are fads) ...custom colors or not...much of this is all personal preference and what works for you and your horse, but I would highly recommend these pads and do not ride without mine! Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Could there really be such a quality difference between the Greenhawk and the Ogilvy to justify the price difference? Or is it that the Ogilvy comes in customized colours? I think you can buy covers for the Greenhawk ones as well.
    The Ogilvy definitely has more custom colour options but the only thing that I've noticed as the biggest difference between the two is the quality. The memory foam in the Greenhawk brands compresses WAY faster than the Ogilvy. The colour also tends to last longer/not fade with the Ogilvy and the Ogilvy fabric doesn't wear as fast as the Greenhawk one.

1 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I use an Ogilvy full pad under my dressage saddle, even though the saddle was custom made for him and fits well. I just feel like it helps protect his back and keep him more comfortable. My chiro and massage therapist have both commented on how great his back is, so we must be doing something right. As an added bonus, I find my back feels better, too!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

How do these compare to the Skito pads? I don't think Skito is made any longer but I have one of their memory foam half pads that is super high quality with a washable cover. I've used it for years and it is in fabulous shape. Just haven't had an opportunity to touch and feel an Ogilvy.

The quality of foam & pad cover on the Ogilvy is outstanding, I recently looked at the Greenhawk madefastinChina version which runs at the $100 mark ...
    - I'd just buy the Ogilvy.

If there are no Ogilvy vendors near you, just call up the company & see what they can do for you