The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up Favorite Clinics

We are a H/J barn, but have thought about offering some clinics in 2014. We are located in Berryville, VA. I'm not interested in flying someone across the country to offer this clinic, but maybe someone more local that people would enjoy having the opportunity to clinic with. We have a beautiful ring with great footing, plenty of trailer parking, a barn with stalls if need be, a bathroom with hot and cold water, and a wash stall that visitors are welcome to use.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Jerry Schurink, he's head of the riding program at Bridgewater College. If you google him, you can get a pile of info. His CV is great. He works well with rider's of all levels, from top to bottom.

This link is old so the email and phone #'s aren't accurate.
    http://www.umass.edu/vasci/faculty/s.../schurink.html

Current tel# here:http://www.bridgewatereagles.com/spo...y/bio-template

Not a relative. Former student. He moved too far.
    Last edited by vicarious; Jan. 12, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
    Taking it day by day!

Cool

I have 2 recommendations (I have ridden with both and love them!)

1. Sara Schmitt-Gold/Silver/Bronze USDF Medalist-S judge based out of NJ-great clinician-www.saraschmitt.com or http://www.hawkhollowranch.com is the facility shw is based at. Sara also competes in Combined Driving,

2. Lynn Doki Camina-USDF Silver Medalist-L graduate based out of Wahalla Farm in NC. Her website is www.walhallafarm.com Lynn works with alot of eventers.

Both are FANTASTIC instructors-and willing to work with any discipline or breed!

Major Jeremy Beale.
    I think completely under utilized. I'll ride if you have him.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bob Orton. He is in Virginia. You can schedule a clinic through his wife is he is available. If you google him you should be able to get a number. If not PM me and I will get you the information. I have ridden with him on numerous occasions here in Pennsylvania and he is a wonderful instructor and clinician.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

I'm on the wrong side of the country and so are the clinicians I most enjoy, but on your side of the country I would definitely look at Lauren Sprieser! I also enjoyed watching Pierre St. Jacques teach a clinic here while I wasn't able to ride - he was working with almost all lower level riders who had major problems in the basics so focused on those problems, but he managed to pinpoint the biggest issue for each rider and show a large improvement from start to end of ride for each.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

Lauren Sprieser is great and being in Marshall is practically in your backyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I'm not sure if she is local enough for you, but I have recently heard very good things about Susan Cooper. Super patient and insightful.

http://www.impulsionunlimited.com/index.php/en/

Francois Lemaire du Ruffieu. He's great and will happily do dressage, jumpers, or dressage for jumping.

Ex-Cadre Noir, he's Old School; a stickler for turnout and manners, but loves kids and hard-chargers as well as us Olde Folks, and if you TRY he'll never fault you.
    Very politely European, but he tells it like it is and you'll leave very tired!
    Any breed or type of horse is more than welcome.

Contact him through Sally Swift's old place in VT, Lucille Bump at Southmowing Farm. I think he does lots of clinics in the mid-South throughout the year.

You won't be disappointed!