The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

YEs, totally, but not because I care about money or it will fix anything. I would do it because with that large amount of money, I could do something to really change the world for the good, kind of like Warren Buffet's billionaire's club.

Would I give up years of my life to do something truly meaningful to make the world a better place with money? Yes.

Would I give up years of my life for money so I could become a waste of human flesh like Kardashian or Hilton and have stuff? No.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    You are offered enough money to do most anything you might want to do in life -- buy your dream farm, dream horses, dream home, dream yacht, travel, start your own business, donate significant sums to charity, whatever. Let's say . . . $250 million. And for the purposes of this hypothetical, let's say there will be no significant negative consequences resulting from your newfound wealth. It's not going to cause a rift in the family, your kids aren't going to kill you for their inheritance, etc.

The attached string is that you give up the last three years of your life in, say, your mid- to late seventies or early eighties.

Would you do it? Would you give up the last single year of your life for, say . . . $25 million? $10 million?
    Yep. Those are usually the worst years of life anyway.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

Yes. Heck with my health there are days I would be happy to live to 40. So where do I go to get my money?

3 members found this post helpful.

No chance.

I have no idea what that last year might bring. The marriage of one of my children, a new baby somewhere that I would not get to meet.

And what if my destiny is to get hit by a bus at age 52?? I'd get $25 million dollars, and not know I only have to years to spend it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    In a hot second. Personally I can't see myself living to be very old anyway.
    Second this. DH could buy a string of rope horses and go about killing himself roping calves all day long. I can have my separate indoor and outdoor arena with no calf poop. Where we want!! All the land we want!! Other than land and barn and an arena or two I don't have to share with DH, I have no other wants.

Maybe a week or three on little Cayman every March, but that's 'cause the weather up here sucks and it's our anniversary and where we honeymooned .
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

No.

My grandmother is 96 and was able to meet my baby at Christmas. I cried putting him in her arms, knowing there may never be a second meeting. I'm grateful to have had that chance and to have some pictures to show him one day when I tell him stories of her. In light of this, trading away the final years of my own life wouldn't be just about me but also about my descendants. I wouldn't want to miss a new a birth, nor would I want to prematurely exit the lives of those who love me and whom I love. Death is inevitable, but why rush it? There's so much to live for.
    Jer 29: 11-13

No way!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

No. That might be the year I have my best experience ever. Life is precious and all time is valuable.

It does help that I have a good life and yes a bit more money would be nice but it seems the more money I have the more I "need".

Heck yeah! If giving up the last year of my life meant I could live my dream of having my own farm and provide for my kids for the rest of my life I wouldn't hesitate! Although... It would be hard for me to leave my SO if he were to out live me...
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    No.

This kind of hypothetical opposes my spiritual beliefs.

I believe life has a purpose that is more valuable than money.
    i'm the exact opposite here-my spirituality celebrates good works--and just think of the good I could do in the world with this kind of money. so would I trade three years of my life for the opportunity to spread that cash around in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Dementia has been strolling through my family for awhile now, I'd totally give up years off the end.
    Me too. That indignity can go scratch, and someone is going to give me money to do some good with? Absolutely. My family lives till almost 100, with dementia on board. No thank you.

When I first read the question, I thought the "last three years of my life" meant the past three years. Since I have a two year old son I waited until 40 for, I was going to say no way.

Interesting question.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Aggie4Bar, Luseride, Dewey; you're my kind of people.

Sure.

I have no spouse, no kids, and have already lived longer than I expected to, so why not have some fun? Then the leftovers can go to charity or my nieces and nephews.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Me too. That indignity can go scratch, and someone is going to give me money to do some good with? Absolutely. My family lives till almost 100, with dementia on board. No thank you.

When I first read the question, I thought the "last three years of my life" meant the past three years. Since I have a two year old son I waited until 40 for, I was going to say no way.

Interesting question.

This. Great grandmom, great aunt both had profound dementia. Grandmom has it pretty bad but still recognizes people, no short term memory to speak of. Grandmom has outlived two husbands, all her friends, all of her relatives of her generation. Currently is wearin diapers. Yeah I think I could miss out on that.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I think I would go for it...there are no guarantees anyway. Today might be my last day, who knows? I'd be interested to know if age has a bearing on whether people are in the "yay" or "nay" camp. I wonder if those that are younger are more willing to give back those last few years...because they don't have that sense of mortality that seems to rear its ugly head more profoundly in our...erm...later years...
    Interesting topic to be sure...

Interesting how most people here assume they are going to be old! So those last three years are when you are old and infirm.
    But as was said, it could be that you would die at 55 and now you would die at 52. Still a good deal?

BTW I will retire soon, but I might still take the deal. Probably because my dad had dementia and has been in a nursing home for the last three years. Might be the only way to be sure to avoid at least some of that...And I could do good stuff and have fun if I do get some time.

Absolutely. Last ten! I would set up a foundation and have a ball giving it all away, then check out before I became a burden to society! No family depending on me so no obligation to stick around past my usefulness.

Yes.

I really do think I'm going to grow old. My genes are pretty good. Stuff happens, but I'm planning on growing old. If I had that much $$$, I would retire early and just focus on my horses.

I have no children.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Interesting concept.

I'm 37 now. I could live to 98 or I could live to 38 or I could live to somewhere in between. I have no idea. That's both the scary and wonderful thing about life.

I am single and have no offspring.

Money does afford people the luxury of being able to do things that those without cannot -- educate themselves, travel, boost others up via charitable foundations, etc. If I had $250M at the cost of having to give up three years of my life, I think I'd take it and make the most of it. Travel the world, learn things from all corners of the globe, create trusts for my favorite charities -- I'd live the absolute crap out of the years I had instead of living day to day worrying about having enough to pay the bills and whether or not I can afford to splurge on a movie rental.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    I'd live the absolute crap out of the years I had instead of living day to day worrying about having enough to pay the bills and whether or not I can afford to splurge on a movie rental.
    THIS. I absolutely would.