The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ATTENTION ship in clients....

When it is winter... and you pay a certain flat fee to 'ship in' and use the indoor... please DO NOT do the following.

1) Place your inexperienced student on 'too much' horse. Then... bellow at them for 60 minutes whilst they careen around the arena crashing into regular boarding clients, walls, jump piles, green horses, other green riders, etc.

2) Tell your clients to park their horses in wash stalls for an hour... or two... so that client can then return to arena to "watch" (above careen/crash session.)

3) Avail yourself of the opportunity to conduct an additional lecture session, after the riding session, while further loitering/clogging up doorways, the riding arena, wash stalls, driveways, etc.

4) Pile up jackets, coolers, shipping boots, bridles, etc on mouting blocks or jump standards to the extent that no one can even use them because there is so much crap piled up on them.

5) Please refrain from leaving multiple dunkin donuts cups or water bottles lying on the kick wall, on top of jump standards, underneath jumps, on top of jump rails, on mounting blocks, on dressage fencing, or (come on folks ) in muck buckets. Which you darned well know are meant for horse poop and the occasional piece of fruit. NOT for quart 'cups' of iced coffee or plastic Poland Spring water bottles.

Others are free to add to this list as necessary.

5 members found this post helpful.

You can't send them an email or hand them the written rules when they get there? I think COTH is a pretty inefficient way to get the word out to your clients.

11 members found this post helpful.

While you're at it, please don't leave your horse's crap in the grass or the driveway where you parked. Nothing makes me madder than having to scoop up from where a horse was tied to a trailer and crapped and the owner didn't pick it up.

At an indoor I was affiliated with that we rented, we had existing Arena Rules and all renters had to sign, as did all their riders along with the liability release, etc (or the parents if they were minors). Then it is up to the barn manager to enforce.

2 members found this post helpful.

And people wonder why I only allow haul-ins that actually lesson with me...the stress just isn't worth it!

Attention boarders: We ship in clients pay a haul in fee and thus we are allowed to use the bathroom, crossties, and wash rack. We are respectful of the boarders and think that they belong first.

However, asking us to remove our horse from the washrack so you can fill a feed pan with water and then walk away to talk to someone for 30 minutes is a jerk move. You couldn't wait the 4 minutes it took to finish tacking up the horse? OR use the other washrack 10 feet away?
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Jan. 12, 2014 at 07:19 PM.

11 members found this post helpful.

ugh!! it is a situation such that nobody wins
    The boarders feel like the ship ins are invaders. They feel that the ship ins are invading their turf, using their facilities and getting all the best of the facility without having to pay the monthly board fee for the privilege.

The ship ins feel that they are entitled to use the facility, including the ring, wash stall, crossties, etc. AND they are because they paid the fee. They feel that the boarders should share nicely with them.

The problem is that nobody likes to share or be inconvenienced, and that is what both groups have trouble doing (just in general) and needs to be addressed. I am not sure how, because even if everyone signs the rules and procedures of the stable, there is still going to be gray areas as to taking too long in the wash stall or cross ties, putting stuff all around or where it doesnt belong according to the host barn population, just general flow of horses and people inside and outside the arena.

6 members found this post helpful.

ugh!! it is a situation such that nobody wins
    The boarders feel like the ship ins are invaders. They feel that the ship ins are invading their turf, using their facilities and getting all the best of the facility without having to pay the monthly board fee for the privilege.

The ship ins feel that they are entitled to use the facility, including the ring, wash stall, crossties, etc. AND they are because they paid the fee. They feel that the boarders should share nicely with them.

The problem is that nobody likes to share or be inconvenienced, and that is what both groups have trouble doing (just in general) and needs to be addressed. I am not sure how, because even if everyone signs the rules and procedures of the stable, there is still going to be gray areas as to taking too long in the wash stall or cross ties, putting stuff all around or where it doesnt belong according to the host barn population, just general flow of horses and people inside and outside the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Attention boarders: We ship in clients pay a haul in fee and thus we are allowed to use the bathroom, crossties, and wash rack. We are respectful of the boarders and think that they belong first.

However, asking us to remove our horse from the washrack so you can fill a feed pan with water and then walk away to talk to someone for 30 minutes is a jerk move. You couldn't wait the 4 minutes it took to finish tacking up the horse? OR use the other washrack 10 feet away?
    washrack? really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    washrack? really?
    I'm a little confused by your question.

I do agree that the clients the OP talked about should not be invited back.

Those people should not be invited back. Your place, your rules.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I assume the ship-in's were contacted and told the problems and rules violations. How did they respond?

I'm a little confused by your question.

I do agree that the clients the OP talked about should not be invited back.
    oh, sorry, but to me a ship in client does not need to have use of the wash rack.
    And if you can't deal without cross ties, maybe more horsemanship classes are in order.

am always amazed how we used to rough it, even in the 'nice' barns....I had the only tie place at my uncles, in front of my stall...any other day it doubled as the place the farrier tied the horse up at (the helper held the hoof, not the horse...)

Some of the stuff wasn't too bad (I do get mean as I age, a pile of crap on the mounting block could quickly turn into a pile of crap behind the mounting block)

But leaving trash around, the more I scout the more it annoys me. I think - again, getting meaner every day - I would have made it known right then: your mother does not work here. Pic your sh*t up and put it away....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

oh, sorry, but to me a ship in client does not need to have use of the wash rack.
    And if you can't deal without cross ties, maybe more horsemanship classes are in order.

am always amazed how we used to rough it, even in the 'nice' barns....I had the only tie place at my uncles, in front of my stall...any other day it doubled as the place the farrier tied the horse up at (the helper held the hoof, not the horse...)

Some of the stuff wasn't too bad (I do get mean as I age, a pile of crap on the mounting block could quickly turn into a pile of crap behind the mounting block)

But leaving trash around, the more I scout the more it annoys me. I think - again, getting meaner every day - I would have made it known right then: your mother does not work here. Pic your sh*t up and put it away....
    In some places, the only allowed place to tie a horse for tacking up is in crossties, so I can see why someone might use the wash rack for that if all other crossties are occupied.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

I think the operative word here is "client". At my former barn the trainer had people who shipped in on a regular basis - weekly, monthly, quarterly - for lessons. We also had regular local horse people who shipped in to use the facility - schooling before a show, indoor use in winter- and the occasional outside trainer bringing their students on a field trip to expose horses and riders to a different facility. The first group , "clients" were allowed all the privileges of a boarder; wash stall, cross ties even a stall if bringing more than one horse if they wished so a hot horse didn't have to stand on the trailer. The other two groups, "ship-ins" only had access to the rings. Management required advance notice so that ship-ins would not conflict with lessons and posted when they would be there. As trainer/borders had a fairly regular schedule conflicts were few. Plus, management knew who was there when in the event of damage.

1 members found this post helpful.

The wash rack at our barn uses cross ties. If someone ships in and they wish to rinse off their horse they will use the wash rack and cross tie their horse. What's the problem??
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think it depends on the barn and the facilities, whenever I ship in I tack up at the trailer and load the horse I am not riding back on the trailer when I am working the other horse. If the wash rack were to be needed then it would be respectful to ask permission as presumably it is not a part of the facilities (the arena) that is being rented; of permission is granted it would be sensible to not loiter.

I am now working a horse at this barn, so things change a little on the days that the horse is in work because most of my tack is already in the barn for the other horse. In that case I do bring in my horse to be tacked, though there is no standing around, all my things are tidily placed where they belong for the duration of my stay. Any manure that is produced during this time is picked up and placed in the nearest much bucket for that use. grooming areas are swept clean.

I think that this is the best way to be respectful. I always arrange times that boarders are not likely to use the facility so as to avoid any space conflicts and not inconvenience the boarders. I am aware that I am a guest and if I wish to remain so then I should be respectful. If jumps, cavelleti, or other equipment is moved or changed for my convenience then it is put back to where it was. I do not think this is too much to ask and would expect the same if someone were to come to my farm.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    The wash rack at our barn uses cross ties. If someone ships in and they wish to rinse off their horse they will use the wash rack and cross tie their horse. What's the problem??
    Like I said, I grew up roughing it.
    Wash stalls were a luxury, I don't think anybody had. There might have been a hose to use (sparingly) and no place to tie.
    But barns where also rather detached from the arena, so making your way there to park your horse would not have made sense.

In case you wondered: We managed to rinse off horses with sponge and bucket, after we tacked, worked and untacked without the benefit of a barn at the small race track.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ah, I see. I've never shipped in to a barn that didn't let me use a stall or the crossties/wash rack. I've tied to the trailer because it was easier but if the weather is bad it's nice to be inside, I take the stall I'm given and I always clean it out before I leave. If I get a stall then I just tack up in there, and I'm fine using a hose outside but this barn only had wash racks which are used as grooming areas when all the other crossties are occupied.

I don't mind moving my horse so a boarder can have primary use of the facilities, but in this case the boarder didn't actually use the wash rack for another 20 minutes.

I've also had another boarder ask me to move to another set of crossties because their horse "liked" the one I was in better. Never do that again.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I've also had another boarder ask me to move to another set of crossties because their horse "liked" the one I was in better. Never do that again.
    Some people
    I once hauled in to a BNT clinic and asked if it was Ok to use crossties to tack up.
    One boarder told me "Yes", then after I had my horse in the ties, another Diva rushed over, all wide-eyed, to tell me "Those are Insert-Resident-Trainer's crossties!"

I had to bite my tongue to not tell her I didn't see either RT or any of her horses using them for the 10minutes it would take me to be done.
    Way to treat a guest.....

FWIW:
    If I'm anywhere off my property with a horse I ALWAYS pick up after them - I carry a muck bucket & fork in my trailer just for that purpose.
    I have also trailered in with horse already tacked up in the trailer or tacked up while tied to the trailer in decent weather.
    Also try to be out ASAP when finished with the lesson/clinic/show/whatever reason I am in another's barn.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009