The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adding Bluetooth/iPhone capability to 2007 Corolla

So I would like to use my iPhone for calls and music in my car (through speakers) but my car is old enough to not already have Bluetooth/audio auxiliary input. I have tried the FM Transmitter method... no good because it is fuzzy at best because there are just too many radio stations here! I saw there are kits to "do it yourself" online for roughly $100. Has anyone done this? suggestions? I called Toyota and they want $500 to do it (!!).

I am completely car/etc dumb

Thanks
    Becky
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

Quote Originally Posted by crthunder View Post
    So I would like to use my iPhone for calls and music in my car (through speakers) but my car is old enough to not already have Bluetooth/audio auxiliary input. I have tried the FM Transmitter method... no good because it is fuzzy at best because there are just too many radio stations here! I saw there are kits to "do it yourself" online for roughly $100. Has anyone done this? suggestions? I called Toyota and they want $500 to do it (!!).

I am completely car/etc dumb

Thanks
    Becky
    What you want to do is go to your local car audio place (preferably not Best Buy, but if that's all you've got I guess they'll manage) and get an aftermarket deck. Like so: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...H-P8400BH.html

The deck and install won't be $500, but they'll be more than $100. It will be way preferable to whatever kit you're looking at, however.

Agree with GFAG: you don't need a Toyota OEM stereo system to do this. Just get a good, aftermarket stereo system that is Bluetooth and iPhone 5 compatible.

To give you a feel for how cheap that could be, go to crutchfield.com. Enter your vehicle info and then confine the search to Bluetooth + iPhone 5 compatible. You'll see decks as cheap as $100-$125, with installation kits available for as little as $15 more. If you are car-dumb, you can either pay a local mechanic to install the Crutchfield kit or just work with a local aftermarket dealer who sells such stereo systems direct.

Swapping out a factory headunit is pretty simple:
    http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forum...-instructions/

I swap out almost all factory ones, which sound horrible. Going to swap an ipad mini into the truck when the weather warms up.

For installation just go to a car stereo, or other accessories installation place, and they'll do a good job. Don't go to a dealer for this, because the aftermarket companies do this more often, and are used to working with installations in all types of cars. The independents are much cheaper too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I did the aftermarket bluetooth deal in my truck. It works ok...the little microphone sits on top of my steering column. Don't love it to talk on the phone, but its great for streaming music. Calls would probably work better in a Corolla since its a smaller space.

Something else you could try is one of those portable bluetooth speakers with a built in microphone. Brookstone has some, don't know how great the quality is for calls but they are cheap-ish. Might be something you could try before swapping out your stereo.