The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Haunt me? How. I'm not a Democrat. Try taking the chip off your shoulder.

For what it's worth, I think it unwise to alienate 50% of the voting population. Several generations have grown up with Roe v Wade. It is accepted. Socially conservative Republicans would be well advised to focus on reducing the demand for abortions, and not eliminating or restricting the right to have one. But hey - keep shooting yourselves in the foot if you want.

Legislation such as the Bill referred to in the original post is ridiculous. Of all the troubles we face in this state, who is poking who is not even on the list. And really; for a party so concerned about individual rights and "small government", you'd think you'd refrain from peeking in people's bedrooms. Stop minding other people's business.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

8 members found this post helpful.

Yes, because God knows that no one on the left ever said anything stupid. Only people on the right. Lol.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

2 members found this post helpful.

JSwan, thanks for the explanation/analysis. I do understand why folks in the less populated areas of the state would resent the pandering to NoVA/tidewater areas.

I still have trouble believing this is a good strategy for winning votes or contributions in 2014 though. The number of people socially conservative enough to support gov't intrusion in these areas must be small, and shrinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Ahhh, the liberal feminazis out in force obsessing over their vaginas with made up BS.
    Why are vaginas belonging to someone but yourself (generic) any of your business?
    Boston Strong

Founding member of the Wheat Loss Clique!

6 members found this post helpful.

In what way? Mcalkiff almost lost the race. He was ahead in the polls before obamacare debacle, by double digits.

Obamacare is the albatross around the dems. Just wait until Nov when GOP take back the senate. That nuclear option invoked by Hairy Reid will come back to haunt you.
    Even with the ACA going through its worst month (website launch failure), the GOP still lost the Virginia govenor's election because they keep nominating candidates that can't stop themselves from talking about sex. It's just not a winning message for the GOP, and they need to change things if they want to win elections.

It wasn't all that long ago that some states banned marriage between whites and blacks. It seems fitting that the case that struck down those laws was Loving v. Virginia, where a white man and a black woman were denied a marriage license. The law was not overturned until 1967. That may seen a long time ago to some of you, but it was over 100 yrs after the civil war. I went to school in genteel Staunton and spent lots of time over at genteel C'ville, so I never saw the ugly side of VA. I guess some of the white male politicians want to go back to times when women were not considered to be voters, or independent, but had to bow down to their husbands, who controlled when women had sex and what they did during sex. The good thing in all of this is that now politicians are saying these things in front of people who post them on the net. So people can see the ugly side of their elected politicians. Too many of these white males read the parts of the Bible that say "no sodomy" but don't understand that most of the sexual prohibitions therein were so that people would multiply and produce more people to create powerful tribes to defend their faith and land. I wonder if the politicians would pass a law allowing a father to "lay" with his 2 daughters in order to produce a male heir? That seemed to be OK in the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    JSwan, thanks for the explanation/analysis. I do understand why folks in the less populated areas of the state would resent the pandering to NoVA/tidewater areas.

I still have trouble believing this is a good strategy for winning votes or contributions in 2014 though. The number of people socially conservative enough to support gov't intrusion in these areas must be small, and shrinking.

I agree - it's a stupid strategy. For oh so many reasons. But at least in this state, the D v R thing is very muddy. Look at the richest areas of the state (Tidewater and NoVA). All a state or national candidate has to do is promise those people money for roads, other gov't services, and those oh so lucrative gov't contracts. That's all.

As far as state politics, some Bills are patroned not because the legislator actually supports the legislation, but because he's trying to shut a constituent up. That happens each session. The Bills are quickly killed in committee and the legislator can go back to his constituent, pat him on the back and claim he did the best he could. He actually never had any intention of pushing the legislation. Or a piece of legislation might be filed to address a very specific incident (but the legislation will be poorly drafted)

If you peruse LIS you'll see it. Most Bills die in committee; and I bet this one will too. The session just started if you want to follow it.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    You guys need to break off and form your own party, instead of demanding the GOP dance to your tune.

As a party, you stand for very different things than mainstream Republicans. Please don't reiterate the "small/limited" government" talking point. Where I live you people are fanatical property rights activists and so socially conservative you could act as stand-ins for the Westboro Baptist people. You have no trouble with Big Government when it furthers your agenda. And most of your members are dumber than a box of rocks.

I support your right to assemble, speak, advocate, fundraise, run for office, etc. And I don't support efforts to shut your party out of public discourse. But by your own admission you are a "party". So act like one; and do your own fundraising instead of mooching off the GOP.
    "Fanatical property rights activists" hmmmm....... have to agree with you on that one. We own our property free & clear and would resent the county taking it, giving it to a corporation for a higher tax base. Yep, that would make us mad. However, if someone else wants to do that, more power to them.
    In regard to being "dumber than a box of rocks," I'm sure some in the TEA Party are; just like there are dumber than dirt liberals/democrats. You know, "we need to pass the bill so we can read it," or this one," I got my Obamaphone, I got my Obamaphone!!"
    Last edited by kathy s.; Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    "Fanatical property rights activists" hmmmm....... have to agree with you on that one. We own our property free & clear and would resent the county taking it, giving it to a corporation for a higher tax base. Yep, that would make us mad. However, if someone else wants to do that, more power to them.
    In regard to being "dumber than a box of rocks," I'm sure some in the TEA Party are; just like there are dumber than dirt liberals/democrats. You know, "we need to pass the bill so we can read it," or this one," I got my Obamaphone, I got my Obamaphone!!"
    You mean Reagan phone?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

7 members found this post helpful.

Eminent domain abuse was not what I was referring to. Nice try, toots. I'm sure at some point you'll add something about "obey the constitution". Same tired old Tea Party talking points. You use so many red herrings you guys attract sea gulls.

So when will you guys start doing our own fundraising and stop mooching off the GOP? Talk about dependence....
    -Rudyard Kipling

3 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

McAuliffe is scum, but he still won. That Virginia Election reminded me very much of the Louisiana election where Edwin Edwards handily beat David Duke the KKK Grand Wizard who had gotten the Republican nomination for governor. One of Edward"s rallying slogans was something like, "He may be a crook, but he's OUR crook." Edwards subsequently went to federal prison for bribery. Both races were definitely the lesser of two evils situations.

BTW, I don't understand why so many posters here, especially including noms, are such terrible spellers. Seems they have great difficulty with the names of Democratic politicians.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    McAuliffe is scum, but he still won. That Virginia Election reminded me very much of the Louisiana election where Edwin Edwards handily beat David Duke the KKK Grand Wizard who had gotten the Republican nomination for governor. One of Edward"s rallying slogans was something like, "He may be a crook, but he's OUR crook." Edwards subsequently went to federal prison for bribery. Both races were definitely the lesser of two evils situations.

BTW, I don't understand why so many posters here, especially including noms, are such terrible spellers. Seems they have great difficulty with the names of Democratic politicians.
    Some of my spelling is intentional,, and i didnt realize Vineyridge was the spelling police on COTH.. LMFAO.... hahahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    The Tea Party has the democrats in a tizzy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Viney, when people have no substance behind their arguments, they seem to rely on taunts and insults. Small minds at work.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Pink Bunny View Post
    Viney, when people have no substance behind their arguments, they seem to rely on taunts and insults. Small minds at work.
    If you care to review posts on the political threads, you will find that 99% of personal insults are directed at the conservative posters, not the other way around. But, I'm sure you won't do that. "Small minds at work."
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Maybe we should start counting. I wonder if you can recognize a conservative insult when you see one, though Kathy.

The Tea Party has the democrats in a tizzy.
    I think the Democrats are thrilled with the Tea Party. The Tea Party has driven moderate and mainstream Republicans to the DNC; as well as independents.
    -Rudyard Kipling

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree. Lefty's love the Tea Party as much as comedians.

5 members found this post helpful.

Wow, when someone confuses JSwan with a lib dem, you know they're in the tea party. JSwan makes a valid point, I live in rural Virginia, the tea party here is too goofy for the gop,they have their own agenda and it's typically not what conservative republicans have fought for over the years. The gop would be tter off not wasting money supporting the tea party and get back to their traditional positions. I don't know what it's like in other areas of the country but I think many conservative and moderate Virginians would have been happy to vote gop if they hadn't gotten mixed up with the tea party. And by the way, regular, normal non radical women in Virginia were furious with some of the intruaive, big government positions the gop took here. I know 3 conservative female friends who did not vote in the last election over the vagina probing intrusion, the attempt at defending unconstitutional sodomy laws and the really disgusting, intrusive and way over the top big government agenda pushed by Obershain to force women to report a miscarriage to the local sheriff, for God's sake, what woman would vote for that? I grew up pre Roe, pre Griswald in a time when birth countrol pills were illegal and when they finally were able to be sold legally here, you had to get your husband's permission to get an RX, who would want a return to those days? From what I could tell the tea party in Virginia had their own very narrow agenda and the gop was stupid to play along. How else do you think we wound up withGov McAulliffe? We could have had Gov Bolling.

The Tea Party makes every rational person seem like a "liberal," whether a liberal democrat or a moderate republican. It's like when the democratic party had the crazy dixiecrats and all republicans seemed moderate. Now the shoe's on the other foot, and the republicans are stuck with the crazies. Extremism on either side is just irrational. Destroying the govt in order to change it doesn't work. Just ask the Russian revolutionaries of 1917. But then most extremist groups such as the Tea Party do not learn from history. It's amazing that all extremists tend to want to subjugate women to the ruling men. Look at the muslim extremists. The Tea Party has many of the same views of women that they do. People should learn to compromise some beliefs in order to save the country, not to destroy it. Sure the govt needs changes, but going back to the Articles of Confederation just won't work. Too many extremists were born to late to enjoy the "benefits" of having no electricity, no paved roads, and no govt taxing them.