The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Small Government Conservatives in Virginia

It's not just women's vaginas they want to control, it's all orifices.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...usaolp00000009

2 members found this post helpful.

So now they need to hire Oral Sex Police?

1 members found this post helpful.

There's idiots in both parties. And that's as big an idiot as I've heard of lately. And it has nothing to do with small government and everything to do with his being 2 quarts short of a pint!

5 members found this post helpful.

There's just no end to the crazy. And the stupid.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

He's a Tea Party Constitutional Conservative, endorsed by the Lynchburg Tea Party.

He ran on jobs, jobs, jobs. I guess he's planning on bumping up the number of prison guards?

I thought the Tea Party was all about small government? Someone is fibbing.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Pink Bunny View Post
    He's a Tea Party Constitutional Conservative, endorsed by the Lynchburg Tea Party.

He ran on jobs, jobs, jobs. I guess he's planning on bumping up the number of prison guards?

I thought the Tea Party was all about small government? Someone is fibbing.
    The TEA Party varies from state to state and the organization I belong to is much different than that one. And I agree with minnie.
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    The TEA Party varies from state to state and the organization I belong to is much different than that one.
    You guys need to break off and form your own party, instead of demanding the GOP dance to your tune.

As a party, you stand for very different things than mainstream Republicans. Please don't reiterate the "small/limited" government" talking point. Where I live you people are fanatical property rights activists and so socially conservative you could act as stand-ins for the Westboro Baptist people. You have no trouble with Big Government when it furthers your agenda. And most of your members are dumber than a box of rocks.

I support your right to assemble, speak, advocate, fundraise, run for office, etc. And I don't support efforts to shut your party out of public discourse. But by your own admission you are a "party". So act like one; and do your own fundraising instead of mooching off the GOP.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

14 members found this post helpful.

From the comments section:

"[The state senator] lives in and represents Louisa County which has a community called Bumpass. Seems like you can live in Bumpass but you just can't do it. "

For the record, I think he's a nutjob, and this bill is a terrible idea.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

3 members found this post helpful.

I find it interesting the guy wants to make teenagers felons for doing something most adults find natural, and essentially ruin their lives
    (I know very few colleges or employers that will accept a young convicted felon).

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    There's idiots in both parties. And that's as big an idiot as I've heard of lately. And it has nothing to do with small government and everything to do with his being 2 quarts short of a pint!
    At least in Virginia, this guy is not an isolated idiot. The 2013 Republican governor candidate, Ken Cuccinelli, ran on support for a similar bill, and while Attorney General spent Virginian's tax dollars defending their previous sodomy statute in court, when it was clearly unconstitutional under Lawrence v. Texas.

Until the GOP repudiates politicians pushing these views, they're going to struggle to attract independent and moderate voters in statewide and national elections.
    Last edited by Jumper221; Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM.

Isolated you say, minnie? Just a sampling:

"In the emergency room they have what’s called rape kits where a woman can get cleaned out" - Texas state Rep. Jodie Laubenberg, on why there shouldn't be a rape or incest exception in Texas' sweeping anti-choice bills.

"Watch a sonogram of a 15-week baby, and they have movements that are purposeful. They stroke their face. If they’re a male baby, they may have their hand between their legs. If they feel pleasure, why is it so hard to believe that they could feel pain?” — current Republican Rep. Michael Burgess, arguing that male babies masturbate in utero.

"Before...my friends on the left side of the aisle here tried to make rape and incest the subject — because, you know, the incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy are very low" — current Republican Rep. Trent Franks

"But on the rape thing, it's like, how does putting more violence onto a woman's body and taking the life of an innocent child that's a consequence of this crime, how does that make it better?" — Washington congressional candidate John Koster, who lost his 2012 bid for election

"Consensual sex can turn into rape in an awful hurry...All of a sudden a young lady gets pregnant and the parents are madder than a wet hen and she's not going to say, 'Oh, yeah, I was part of the program.'" —Wisconsin state representative Roger Rivard, who lost his 2012 bid for re-election

"Understand though, that when we talk about exceptions, we talk about rape, incest, health of a woman, life of a woman. Life of the woman is not an exception." — former Illinois congressman Joe Walsh

"I struggled with it myself for a long time, and I realized that life is a gift from God, and I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something God intended to happen." —Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock, who lost his 2012 Senate bid

"I would hope that when a woman goes into a physician with a rape issue, that that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage, or was it truly caused by a rape." —Republican Idaho state senator Chuck Winde

"These Planned Parenthood women, the Code Pink women, and all of these women have been neutering American men and bringing us to the point of this incredible weakness...We are not going to have our men become subservient."
    — Rep. Allen West (R-Fl.), who lost his 2012 bid for re-election

"[Singer] Ethel Waters, for example, was the result of forcible rape." —Former Republican Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, on the upside of pregnancy after rape

"The method of conception doesn't change the idea of life." —Republican vice-presidential hopeful Paul Ryan, when asked about pregnancy resulting from rape

"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down." —Rep. Todd Akin (R-Missouri). His lost his Senate bid in 2012.

Abortions make up "well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does."
    —Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.)

Life begins "from the first day of the last menstrual period of the pregnant woman." —Statement from an Arizona bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jan Brewer

"Put yourself in the father's situation. Yes, it is similar."
    —Republican Pennsylvania Senate hopeful Tom Smith, comparing pregnancy caused by rape to having a baby out of wedlock. He lost his bid for election.

"The facts show that people who are raped —who are truly raped—the juices don't flow, the body functions don't work and they don't get pregnant. Medical authorities agree that this is a rarity, if ever." —former Rep. Henry Aldridge (R-N.C.)

"I just haven't heard of that being a circumstance that's been brought to me in any personal way, and I'd be open to discussion about that subject matter."
    —Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) on never hearing of a rape-induced pregnancy before

"One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country.... Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that's okay, contraception is okay. It's not okay. It's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be."
    —Rick Santorum, former Republican senator from Pennsylvania and former presidential hopeful

"It's Jessica who's having to have her body live with the ravages of this vaccine.
    —Michele Bachmann, (R-Minn) on the "dangers" of the HPV vaccine
    Remember this one, the child took the vaccine and according to Bachmann, suffered the effects of mental retardation thereafter?

"As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it."
    —Former Texas Republican gubernatorial contender Clayton Williams on rape

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper221 View Post
    At least in Virginia, this guy is not an isolated idiot. The 2013 Republican governor candidate, Ken Cuccinelli, ran on support for a similar bill, and while Attorney General spent Virginian's tax dollars defending their previous sodomy statute in court, when it was clearly unconstitutional under Lawrence v. Texas.

Until the GOP repudiates politicians pushing these views, they're going to struggle to attract independent and moderate voters in statewide and national elections.
    The gift that keeps on giving, Cooch is considering running against Warner for Senate next year.
    A revival of Keep Ken Out is in order
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Pink Bunny View Post
    Isolated you say, minnie? Just a sampling:

"In the emergency room they have what’s called rape kits where a woman can get cleaned out" - Texas state Rep. Jodie Laubenberg, on why there shouldn't be a rape or incest exception in Texas' sweeping anti-choice bills.

"Watch a sonogram of a 15-week baby, and they have movements that are purposeful. They stroke their face. If they’re a male baby, they may have their hand between their legs. If they feel pleasure, why is it so hard to believe that they could feel pain?” — current Republican Rep. Michael Burgess, arguing that male babies masturbate in utero.

"Before...my friends on the left side of the aisle here tried to make rape and incest the subject — because, you know, the incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy are very low" — current Republican Rep. Trent Franks

"But on the rape thing, it's like, how does putting more violence onto a woman's body and taking the life of an innocent child that's a consequence of this crime, how does that make it better?" — Washington congressional candidate John Koster, who lost his 2012 bid for election

"Consensual sex can turn into rape in an awful hurry...All of a sudden a young lady gets pregnant and the parents are madder than a wet hen and she's not going to say, 'Oh, yeah, I was part of the program.'" —Wisconsin state representative Roger Rivard, who lost his 2012 bid for re-election

"Understand though, that when we talk about exceptions, we talk about rape, incest, health of a woman, life of a woman. Life of the woman is not an exception." — former Illinois congressman Joe Walsh

"I struggled with it myself for a long time, and I realized that life is a gift from God, and I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something God intended to happen." —Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock, who lost his 2012 Senate bid

"I would hope that when a woman goes into a physician with a rape issue, that that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage, or was it truly caused by a rape." —Republican Idaho state senator Chuck Winde

"These Planned Parenthood women, the Code Pink women, and all of these women have been neutering American men and bringing us to the point of this incredible weakness...We are not going to have our men become subservient."
    — Rep. Allen West (R-Fl.), who lost his 2012 bid for re-election

"[Singer] Ethel Waters, for example, was the result of forcible rape." —Former Republican Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, on the upside of pregnancy after rape

"The method of conception doesn't change the idea of life." —Republican vice-presidential hopeful Paul Ryan, when asked about pregnancy resulting from rape

"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down." —Rep. Todd Akin (R-Missouri). His lost his Senate bid in 2012.

Abortions make up "well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does."
    —Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.)

Life begins "from the first day of the last menstrual period of the pregnant woman." —Statement from an Arizona bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jan Brewer

"Put yourself in the father's situation. Yes, it is similar."
    —Republican Pennsylvania Senate hopeful Tom Smith, comparing pregnancy caused by rape to having a baby out of wedlock. He lost his bid for election.

"The facts show that people who are raped —who are truly raped—the juices don't flow, the body functions don't work and they don't get pregnant. Medical authorities agree that this is a rarity, if ever." —former Rep. Henry Aldridge (R-N.C.)

"I just haven't heard of that being a circumstance that's been brought to me in any personal way, and I'd be open to discussion about that subject matter."
    —Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) on never hearing of a rape-induced pregnancy before

"One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country.... Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that's okay, contraception is okay. It's not okay. It's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be."
    —Rick Santorum, former Republican senator from Pennsylvania and former presidential hopeful

"It's Jessica who's having to have her body live with the ravages of this vaccine.
    —Michele Bachmann, (R-Minn) on the "dangers" of the HPV vaccine
    Remember this one, the child took the vaccine and according to Bachmann, suffered the effects of mental retardation thereafter?

"As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it."
    —Former Texas Republican gubernatorial contender Clayton Williams on rape
    I remember many of these quotes. It simply is beyond the pale what these idiots say. And they ARE idiots.

9 members found this post helpful.

Hahahahaha, typical male politicians. They do one thing but want it banned for others. I call it the "Christian male guilt complex," since white male politicians want ALL sex to be "dirty."

When I was in law school, my first year, I was one of 3 women in the whole school, and one of two women in my class. So there I was in my criminal law section, with 67 males, when my professor started discussing crimes. Well heck, growing up I knew sodomy was illegal between 2 men, but..........Sitting there with my friends, on the 2nd row, I was asked by Mack Player what I thought of oral sex between men and women (included married couples) being 1 to 20 years. Huh? I was so shocked, I answered immediately and truthfully that I thought it was foreplay. All the guys fell out laughing. Professor Player never tried to embarrass me for the rest of the year. (He didn't ask it of the other woman in the other criminal law section.) My boss in Atlanta would not prosecute sodomy between consenting adults in private. Now for those who used the restrooms in the airport and in dept. stores and the public parks (and yes, even in broad daylight) there was indictment and a fine and probation to make them choose a hotel next time. A $500 nuisance fine because male kids and straight mencouldn't go into restrooms without seeing nude men sitting on toilets with the stall doors open. Of course there was that hetero couple up a Lake Lanier who got fined 2000$ each. But I knew the sheriff up there, and he just told me to stay on his side of the lake with my boyfriend's sail boat.

I personally have near heard of a man who turned down oral sex. Nor have I ever met one.

ETA I wonder if there is a warrant out for me in VA from my college years?

5 members found this post helpful.

As a relatively new Virginian, I've been confused by all this. I don't think these views are mainstream, even here, and don't seem to be bringing out the vote or much support (just cameos on The Daily Show). I did see a lot of Cuc signs in very-wealthy-but-not-super-religious areas (like Loudoun County) but I assume that is more the wealth/GOP connection than an endorsement.

So what gives? Are there huge funding sources for politicians with this agenda? It probably turns off as many moderates as it wins evangelicals, so what is the point of all this?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The Cooch is a devout Catholic so that's why you saw so many signs. NoVA is home to many Catholics which make up the bulk of GOP voters in the NoVA region. The Cooch has always proclaimed himself a Catholic first and an AG second in his rhetoric and actions, so he naturally gets their votes.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    As a relatively new Virginian, I've been confused by all this. I don't think these views are mainstream, even here, and don't seem to be bringing out the vote or much support (just cameos on The Daily Show). I did see a lot of Cuc signs in very-wealthy-but-not-super-religious areas (like Loudoun County) but I assume that is more the wealth/GOP connection than an endorsement.

So what gives? Are there huge funding sources for politicians with this agenda? It probably turns off as many moderates as it wins evangelicals, so what is the point of all this?
    The Tea Party candidates mooch off the GOP warchest. On their own they'd not raise enough money to pay for more than an ad in the local paper.

Virginia is a weird state. Generally it is conservative - fiscally. Republicans and Democrats tend to be fiscal conservatives; not social ones. Though even that is weird because in Tidewater you'll get a lot of social conservative blue collar Democrats; and in NoVA you'll see fiscal conservative socially liberal Republicans. A Democrat is likely to be as wealthy as a Republican; if not more so. The thing that unites both parties and regions is the largesse of the federal government.

In NoVa and Tidewater, the candidate who is most likely to bring home the bacon in terms of expanding the federal gov't will get the vote. It's less about public policy and more about the economy of those regions. There would be no economy without the federal gov't. The rest of the state is largely rural and poor; but NoVA and Tidewater (and to a lesser extent Richmond), determine the outcome of elections. Those are the three populations centers; and NoVA is so large and populated it bears little to no resemblance to the rest of the state.

Both regions will happily vote themselves tax increases that the rural and poor have to pay for. With NoVA it's about roads and federal pork. Tidewater it's about the shipyards and the defense contracts that go with them.

The rest of the state might as well not exist. They don't matter in state or national politics. They're flyover country and places where the wealthy folks go to recreate. Ken C's mistake (one of many) was to advocate as a social conservative. Idiot. All the troubles facing the state and he's got to go peeking up women's cooters.

His work as an AG wasn't all that bad (most of it; I can think of a few AG opinions that were trash). He was an idiot to embrace the Tea Party, and I can think of one other state legislator that really screwed the pooch by hooking up with those kooks. He was reelected by a very thin margin - and next election that guy is going to be history.

On the other hand.... the rest of the state really is ignored, the more time you spend outside Occupied Virginia the more you'll see it. You go to a rural county and the state maintained roads will be barely passable. Transportation money goes to NoVa. A smart candidate will promise NoVA more road money and to make transportation a priority. NoVA doesn't give a crap about a state road in Abingdon. Why should they?

I can understand why there is resentment and antipathy; which fuels the Tea Party. I don't agree with it; and I think it is counterproductive. But I do understand why they feel the way they do about how the state is run. The Tea Party obviously has its own platform - I say let them go forth and be merry - separate from the GOP.

ETA: I've been traveling through Louisa County a lot in the past couple of months. It is a beautiful part of the state.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Ahhh, the liberal feminazis out in force obsessing over their vaginas with made up BS.

What's the matter. Sore loser?
    -Rudyard Kipling

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    What's the matter. Sore loser?
    In what way? Mcalkiff almost lost the race. He was ahead in the polls before obamacare debacle, by double digits.

Obamacare is the albatross around the dems. Just wait until Nov when GOP take back the senate. That nuclear option invoked by Hairy Reid will come back to haunt you.