The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default priceline bidding

I'm headed to VA Beach to visit family. I'm staying at their house with one dog, and the plan was for my son to stay home with the other 2.

However, some recent events have him down in the dumps, and I think the trip would do him some good. Problem is, we can't have all 3 of my dogs there.

So I'm looking for an inexpensive hotel that takes dogs. Found several at reasonable prices, but was hoping for a super deal through priceline. I've gotten some amazing deals before, but I can't find a way to bid with that requirement.

Anyone know if that's possible? Or any other way to get the best deal?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I'm a Priceline bidding addict, and alas no, there's no way to confine Name-Your-Own-Price bids to pet-friendly hotels. You can confine Hotwire bids to pet-friendly hotels, but even then, it's risky because your son is bringing two dogs. Some hotels only allow one dog. I hate to say it, but your best bet is probably to stick to traditional deals sites like Kayak.com and cross-check the listings with bringfido.com.

ETA you could also look at pet-friendly vacation rentals, but I doubt those will be cheaper than the budget motels. But if you wanted to explore that option, vrbo.com has some pet-friendly listings.

Other to consider, on site petsitter, boarding kennel?

Ask your vet clinic if someone there would want to pet sit at your home, or in theirs for some extra income, or know someone they recommend?

The dogs, unlike used to traveling, are better off for a few days left behind.

When I was having surgery that was to keep me in the hospital for at least 5 days, our vet has a boarding kennel where she was staying.
    Thankfully they kicked me out in three days, so she didn't have to stay there long.
    One of the vet employees was taking extra care of her, as we have worked together before in our performance dog club, that made it easier.

To find some way to leave the dogs behind may make your trip easier, if taking them is a problem.

jn4jennt, thanks for the great tips!

Bluey, the dogs are seasoned travelers, so taking them isn't the issue. Just trying to do it the most cost effective way. I never board them so they don't have kennel cough vax and it's a little late to get a house sitter. They'll be happier with us anyway.

At least they are Pugs and under the weight restrictions a lot of hotels have!

I've had the best luck with La Quinta hotels. They don't have any limits or extra charges for dogs. For three dogs, that may be your best bet (assuming there are la q's around there!).

1 members found this post helpful.

Bits, yes, I'm considering just going with La Quinta. There's one not too far from the house that I've stayed at and it was pretty nice. The daily pet fees at some hotels bring the fee way up.

Ditto on La Quinta. While other hotels, even "pet friendly" would be taken aback by my Irish Wolfhound (yup! over 50 pounds! ), I've never had a La Quinta bat an eye.
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

Residence Inns allow pets. I have seen big golden retrievers. They are not budget but it is nice to have the fridge and free breakfast.
    I saw pets at one Extended Stay America. I much prefer Residence Inn as they are much nicer but ESA was much cheaper.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)