The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Not a surprise for many of us living in NJ who have not drunk the kool-aid. No way he did not know. If not before it happened (my belief) then as soon as the controversy blew up months ago.

3 members found this post helpful.

From Richard Cohen at the Washington Post:

"In Watergate, it was not Richard Nixon who ordered the burglary. It was the president’s men. They were, in some way, a true reflection of the paranoid, vindictive nature of Nixon himself. It’s hard for me to believe that whatever the outcome, we have not learned something very troubling about Chris Christie. He may not have ordered the lane closings and he may not have known about it afterward, but he hired the sort of people who did both.

Stupid."

Read the full editorial here http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...in-bridgegate/
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Not to worry. Christie was never going to get GOP nom for POTUS. Hes not GOP material.
    You know, that's really hysterical. The base just can't see the forest for the trees. He was the only one with a chance to beat out a strong Democratic candidate.

Very similar to the way the GOP tossed Hunstman out. He probably would have been able to beat Obama.

16 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like something Tony Soprano would do.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Pink Bunny View Post
    You know, that's really hysterical. The base just can't see the forest for the trees. He was the only one with a chance to beat out a strong Democratic candidate.

Very similar to the way the GOP tossed Hunstman out. He probably would have been able to beat Obama.
    True that. The GOP won't be taking back the WH anytime soon.

Not only because of their backwards world views, but also because CC was their best shot--and look how this guy functions. That's their BEST candidate...

7 members found this post helpful.

Christie is none-the-less responsible for his staff. He still needs to stand up and say "mea culpa," even if he didn't direct the action.

He's a bully, he's arrogant. He's anti-democracy. He hires people most like him -- not abnormal, but if people elect someone with antisocial tendencies and a poor perception of public office, then this lane-closure scandal will be the outcome. Exactly as R. Cohen said in the WP article...

Christie won't be a serious GOP nominee, if anything for his health profile. He's also not a great Governor. I live in NY state, not too far from NJ, and so I have to hear about him more than I'd like. He is a anti-intellectual bumble who has no idea how his natural loud-mouth inclinations are the problem.

Also, if you're going to commit a crime, please don't create a paper trail. That these lowlives text'd each other about the whole event, etching in stone their lawlessness, they are doubly stupid.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Well, heads have officially started rolling--according to USA Today at least one aide has been fired....

I really wanted to like CC but every once in a while he'd open up mouth and something demeaning about someone would come out! I like to deal with and vote for people who talk about ideas and not how awful other people are. It just breeds hate when you tear other people down to try and make you appear the "better" (not) person.
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

1 members found this post helpful.

You are a liberal, so how do you possible know what GOP voters think.

He didnt get nom in 2012, and since hes become even more of a democrat. So GOP do not like him at all. He behaves too much like a democrat, and thats why hes gov of NJ.

Of course he would beat hillary,, whoever gets GOP nom in 2016 will beat hillary. Shes toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sswor View Post
    True that. The GOP won't be taking back the WH anytime soon.

Not only because of their backwards world views, but also because CC was their best shot--and look how this guy functions. That's their BEST candidate...
    hahahaha, Democrats are toast in america, after this year of obamacare, and once we have another terrorist attack on US soil, people will be screaming for another conservative. Independents poll towards GOP now.

hahahaha, Democrats are toast in america, after this year of obamacare, and once we have another terrorist attack on US soil, people will be screaming for another conservative. Independents poll towards GOP now.
    Um where are you seeing that? I'm an independent and until the republics put up a more socially moderate candidate, you will not get the independent vote.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    Um where are you seeing that? I'm an independent and until the republics put up a more socially moderate candidate, you will not get the independent vote.
    The base believes their own rhetoric, just as Karl Rove couldn't believe that Romney lost Ohio.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spotteddrafter View Post
    But, my question was, why on earth is some senator in WV calling for an investigation? It's not even his state.
    The Port Authority, which oversees the GW Bridge, was created by an act of Congress. The bi-state agency relies partially on federal funds to operate and requires federal approval for some of its two state projects.

Jay Rockefeller, the WV Senator who requested the investigation - in December, before the latest info' broke - is the Chair of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee.

W.Va. Sen. Rockefeller seeks federal probe of GWB lane closures

""While this type of decision tends to be local in nature, I am concerned about the larger federal implications of what appears to be political appointees abusing their power to hamper interstate commerce and safety without public notice," wrote Rockefeller."

And today there are rumblings of the Federal Attorneys in NJ and NY poking around.

6 members found this post helpful.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ReleaseID=1987

#27 & #28... you are apparently in the minority.

The base believes their own rhetoric, just as Karl Rove couldn't believe that Romney lost Ohio.
    Oh,, not just the base, but a majority of independents.

2 members found this post helpful.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ReleaseID=1987

#27 & #28... you are apparently in the minority.
    This Months poll from the same source is different of course because that poll was at the height of the healthcare website issues period.
    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ReleaseID=1993

Then there is this:
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/166763/re...ependents.aspx

Also note the loss of previously identified as republicans now identifying as independents..

4 members found this post helpful.

This Months poll from the same source is different of course because that poll was at the height of the healthcare website issues period.
    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ReleaseID=1993

Then there is this:
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/166763/re...ependents.aspx

Also note the loss of previously identified as republicans now identifying as independents..
    Given that more voters identify as independents really skews towards GOP in the 2014 mid terms.

Given that more voters identify as independents really skews towards GOP in the 2014 mid terms.
    Not really, it means they have become disenchanted with the party and will not go along with a "base" candidate. They need to come up with more moderate candidates.

Like it or not Chris Christie had a lot to offer in that way, but with this scandal on top of his image issues (bully etc), i don't think he will be viable.

8 members found this post helpful.

Just read the Mother Earth's article along with multiple updates. Seems Christie is firing and demanding resignations from people deemed responsible.
    Kudos for him for standing firm.

There are very few politicans I hold in high regard. The only ones that come to mind immediately are Sam Nunn (R) and a former Dem from the NE whose name escapes me now.
    CC strikes as one of the few good guys in that he "appears" to attempt to do what is right for his state and the people of his state. Remember how he worked with Obama after Hurricane Sandy knowing the controversy that would arise.

I find the comments about his weight to be crude and unneeded. I saw his interview with Oprah, another person who deals with weight issues. CC knows he is overweight and has to deal with it everyday.

If you disagree with his policies, speak up. Personally I am of the mind there are certain physical issues people will always face. Such as balding or going grey early. Un-responsive hair like Hilary and me. Never understood everyone's concern with her hair style when her actions are far more important.
    As to CC - he stated he has dealt with weight issues most or all of his life. He, like many of us, find it easier to gain than to lose weight. Again - I am more concerned with his actions than his weight.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

4 members found this post helpful.

He fired one high level staffer and "released" another, which appears to be doing the right thing.

However, I watched the whole press conference, and his repeated assurances that he knew nothing about this scandal until yesterday are simply absurd. Was he under a rock? Sorry Christie, I think you're lying.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

6 members found this post helpful.

Christie today
    “I am who I am. I am not a bully.”

and Nixon, 1973,
    "I am not a crook."