The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

The second fish forum link is hilarious.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

2 members found this post helpful.

^^^ where he is shark69? Or something like that? Ya, that was a short but sweet read.

1 members found this post helpful.

Has anyone contacted Megan or anyone else at ISF to suggest that this guy should maybe not be putting his hands on Consul... or be allowed on the farm at all?
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

What about the poor people out in Iowa who are going to be paying him for lessons this weekend?

My personal fave quote is the one his alleged daughter wrote on page 13 of this thread http://fhotd64476.yuku.com/topic/754...arlatan?page=1
    "Seriously, what the ACTUAL f--- is wrong with you people?" I gotta use that one sometime!

And yes, I agree that Iron Spring Farm should be notified. I'm sure they would know he's a wannabe from a mile off, but they would most likely appreciate the heads-up.
    Topline Leather -- Unique woven crystal & gemstone browbands

Topline Leather's Etsy Shop

Isn't he also using pictures of their farm in some fashion?

He has pics labeled 'visit to ISF' or something to that effect.... in which he has his hands on Consul who appears to be in the indoor, and then one of his party, a kid?, is touching a foal inside a stall, it appears.

While none of these are crimes.... a person with this kind of reputation? Not someone I want associated with my farm, thank you.

And I would have serious questions how or why he/anyone was allowed to be touching Consul or foals. That was a no-no when I worked there and I was the gal who conducted the tours [4H, PC, and breeding/buyer groups].
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Hmmm, when is the Iowa one again? It's too bad I thoroughly outed myself via Facebook and the other thread or I'd totally go watch and video for everyone if someone bought the fuel He'd totally know it was me though, and if not, Leann would...
    Quarry Rat

Info on Facebook: January 18th and 19th. Palisades Equestrian center in Prole, IA Contact number 515-720-3397

I would call ahead to make sure it is still on. Sadly I cannot make it. If anyone goes to audit, oh please, do tell.

Hmmm, it appears to be almost 5 hours away. I'm all for entertainment and documentation, but that's a bit far on such short notice. If it were by the Quad Cities I'd pop over. Also, they changed it from a clinic to private lessons. I'm not going to subject myself to that.
    Quarry Rat

For your viewing pleasure, it's back once again over on the Dressage forum
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    For your viewing pleasure, it's back once again over on the Dressage forum
    And it is delicious.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    And it is delicious.
    And now it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MDMarr View Post
    And now it's gone.
    It was good while it lasted. At least there are now some more, ah, interesting pics! And a hilarious critique of the US's top dressage riders, from the Hump to Third Maestro himself.

There once was a dubious "clinician"
    who seemed to be lacking "position"
    we didn't learn much
    from his humped over clutch
    but now know he likes gas station chicken..

21 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    It was good while it lasted. At least there are now some more, ah, interesting pics! And a hilarious critique of the US's top dressage riders, from the Hump to Third Maestro himself.
    Wahhhhh! I missed it! Did someone attend the clinic in Iowa and post about it?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
    Wahhhhh! I missed it! Did someone attend the clinic in Iowa and post about it?
    Check his FB page....

https://www.facebook.com/Eurodressag...7&notif_t=like

Check out the above link...it would appear that in September 2013 he had a barn full of '10' movers, with top bloodlines that are gonna take his name to the top of the sport....

I am totally bummed that I missed the entire thread yesterday because I was at the barn from 7:30am all day long. It was closed by mods before I got "in." I still have the offer of 50$ to first person who posts a video of NP's clinic, wherever it is. NJ or PA or wherever. Too bad he won't have one in SC or GA so I can go video ti myself.

Is meglomania a good diagnosis? And did Katie ever get "servered?"

Thanks to the Cother who sent me the link, although I got home too late to be "in."

Like many others I've become sheepishly addicted to this stuff. On the one hand, it's theater of the absurd at its very finest. Who can resist?

On the other hand, I find myself quite frustrated and exasperated with this guy. It seems he rubs many people the wrong way. Folks have been trying very hard to get through to him and his (apparently few) followers, and I've been cheering them on. Truth be told, it hasn't really worked. I find that exasperating, and I think many others do too.

So my first question is: what makes this guy stand out among all of the nut-cases on the internet? Is it because he's trying to take credit for something that others had to achieve with sweat, sacrifice, money, and time? Is it because ignorant "dressage" instruction puts horses at risk (I think it does)? Assuming that no one will ever convince him he is not the "Maestro" nor persuade the handful of followers in Iowa that he's taking their money for nothing, is there a global lesson to be learned from this? Is there some big-picture advice you'd give to people who are shopping for a trainer? Do you believe there's some way the horse world can screen out and expose frauds in general, and should we?

My second question is: if Nick Peronace approached you today and said he wanted to give a free clinic to prove himself, and you wanted to explain your reasoning to him, what would you say?

Here is what I would say about the rider-horse-trainer relationship:

--When I take a lesson, I am not just buying that hour with the clinician. I am seeking advice for approaches I should take with my horse in between lessons. Incorrect work can harm a horse in a hurry. I'm not going to put my horse into a program that I don't know is safe and correct for her body. It's not enough that my horse feels okay at the end of that one hour. This is why I will only take lessons with someone who has a proven track record of improving horses and riders over time. I've seen plenty of horses ruined over time. A free lesson could prove costly if it puts me on the wrong path.

--Every good trainer I've ever worked with either takes lessons herself or, if the person is much older (I used to ride with Uwe Steiner once per month) has a history with some more senior trainer. I would be disinclined to take lessons with anyone who is not also working to continue her/his education-- particularly if the trainer is young and is not getting feedback from judges. A 4* rider recently told me that it was humbling and valuable for her to see someone else ride her horse. I want a trainer who is getting that kind of feedback.

--There are a few ways of demonstrating that your training methods have a positive result over time. (1) showing (not saying) that you have successfully trained a horse. Show records are an easy way to show some progress but if you don't show, videos of the horse with you on him are very helpful. (2) showing (not saying) that horses you have brought along went on to accomplish something; (3) Testimonials from long-time students, preferably backed up by show records or videos. (4) Testimonials from trainers who have worked with you. It's not necessary to have all of these credentials, but it's the rare pro who will not have at least one of them.

--A good teacher has to have a temperament that shows give-and-take with a wide variety of personalities. As a teacher (law, not riding) I have a personal style that works better for some people than for others, but the fact is I have to try to connect with all kinds of people. It's my job. When looking for a teacher, I'm going to apply the same standards expected of me as a professor. There are many big personalities in riding, but the fact is that even George Morris can't curse people out on the internet. I'm going to look for a trainer who communicates well.

So there you have it. I can't imagine the man himself accepting this kind of feedback, but I figured I'd give it a go.

What would you say to him?
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

5 members found this post helpful.