The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default blanket brands and how they fit

I just got a new horse, paint/quarter horse who is as round as she is thick .... of course NOTHING from my previous horse fits her: nosebands or even the throat/neck pieces on headstalls... (that's another post)... .any ways .... I never liked the way my Weatherbeeta blanket fit my narrow chested horse, the neck was gaping and laid low on her shoulders but now it's too tight in the shoulders with STILL a gaping neck hole and I know it's going to rub her shoulders/chest even if its loosened to the max, but it's all I have right now with this cold snap (-30 windchill freak...first time she's been blanketed, otherwise she is naked) ...

what brand fits how... my mare is 15.1-15.2 but very broad chest and big apple butt. I know her "measurement" but just like our jeans, every brand fits differently .... any thing out there for wide chested girls with a bit of neck coverage?

Horseware makes a line specifically for the stock horse type. They're (in all styles, but especially Rambo) my favorite for fit and durability.

Weatherbeeta's Freestyle blankets are cut more generously in the chest and hindquarters to accommodate the stocky horse.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

My Haflingers seem to fit best in Rambos or Weatherbeeta Freestyle (NOT the Original or Genero lines). Close but not quite in the shoulder area include Bucas and Turtleneck. Or if you can find an older Pessoa Tundra (not the Alpine), those had pretty good shoulders too...my mom used that on her halter-bred Paint. I do know somebody with a draftier pony than mine who uses the Amigo XL line and likes those.

I'm slowly working my way up to all Rambos though. The more other brands I try, the more I love the fit of the Rambo.

(Also, if you go Rambo...skip the Wug, that's tighter in the shoulder than the others)

1 members found this post helpful.

My stocky, broad-chested Appaloosa never did well with Rambos. Probably the best-fitting blanket she ever had was a Dover Northwind, but she also had one of the higher-end Weatherbeeta mid-necks that fit her well also.

Our clydesdale mare fits in a cheapo weatherbeeta. I find Rambos too small for even my big shouldered warmblood so I don't recommend them for a wide horse. We also got her a chest extension to use on some of the smaller-neck blankets. Those work great, and can make most blankets you already own fit your mare.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

My very round WB who is 15'3 wears Rambos. They fit her well and are true to size. Expensive yes, but they last forever. I do not like Dover's brand. The hardware is cheap and does not hold up.

Check out SmartPak's new stock horse line Rockin' SP. My friend has a cooler and a sheet for her tall/broad appendix QH and they fit him much better than anything else she tried. He has a huge shoulder and huge hip. Plus they are really priced well.

My 15'2H round boys fit well in the Dover brand blankets, and the Weatherbeeta freestyles. Pessoa does ok on my one guy but can be a little tight up front if on the 2nd clip and a lil big on the first. I have Rambos for my thinner types never used them on the thick boys so not sure how they would fit. Amigo does well on my round fat 13'2 pony as well. He is a wide boy as well.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Jta I've never had an issue with the Dover brand or the hardware. My guys can be rough on blankets and they have been going strong for 3 years now without even a tear.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I'm a fan of the Dover brand (have turnouts that are almost 10 years old and still waterproof!!) And Weatherbeeta. My guy is hard to fit, he's 14.1 hands and as round as he is tall. I had to let the belly bands out when I tried to be lazy and put my 16.1 big TB/WB mares blanket on him...

I got a Centaur high neck turnout for my fat cowpony and HATE the way it fits him... I have nothing good to say about the blanket other than it's waterproof.

My TWH is a brick %^&*$house, big big shoulders and just thick all over and I've really come to like the Showman turnout I picked up for him three or so years ago. Not only is there no fit issue, there's no sign of wear on this blanket at all! Might want to check into them....
    Kerri

I have a very narrow in the front Paint gelding and the Weatherbeeta Freestyle did not fit him. He got rubs, which were never a problem before. It was too tight around his shoulders and chest, but the neck was gaping and did not keep him dry. He is out 24/7 in Maine, so for me fit is really important.

An alternate perspective: I have a TB with big shoulders and fairly high withers. He has a Schneiders with the adjustable neck. It's an 82 (he's long) so it has plenty of room in front but the adjustable neck hikes up to sit in the right place in front of his withers, rather than on them. We also have a couple of Weatherbeetas that don't sit in quite the right place. They're wearable, just not as good of a fit as the Schneiders.