The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry We were robbed - VENT!

Seriously - WTF is wrong with people? We have had some crazy, windy weather up here in the PNW this weekend and our power went out yesterday afternoon. We got the generator out and fired it up - stayed up until about 1:30AM watching SNL. Before bed SO went out and turned the generator off, covered it up to keep it out of the rain, and we went to bed. I wake up this morning to take the dog out around 6AM and it's gone - I wasn't out there when he shut it down and figured he had put it back in the garage. NOPE. Some A$$&@%# stole it!

Now we should have thought to chain it to something, I'll admit that. But we didn't leave it out in plain view. It was down our driveway, around the side of the garage and between our house and garage. It was completely out of view of any passersby. We live up on a back road out in the country, no visible neighbors. Someone had to have been driving around scoping us out when we had it on and come back for it sometime in that 5 hours. They had to go through our front gate and walk all the way down our driveway, then walk between our house and the garage to get it - they were about 10' from my side door.

All I can say is they are DAMN lucky they didn't wake us or the dog up. SO just got a brand new rifle for Xmas and we haven't had a chance to test it out yet... They should also go ahead and keep it for themselves because it has an identifiable marking etched on it in an inconspicuous place so we'll know it's ours. We're monitoring CL and the pawn shops and SO, while generally mild mannered, won't hesitate to kick some ass in this situation. They probably didn't realize they were stealing from a competitive MMA fighter.

There's nothing I hate more than a thief. We're locking the property down from here on out. Is there a quality but well priced motion detector anyone can recommend? Also, good or bad idea to post a trespassers will be shot sign?

1 members found this post helpful.

Consider putting in a security system, even a basic one.
    I once worked for a home/business security company. They gave all of us window stickers indicating we had a security system installed. They learned most thieves will not take the time to verify if there really is a security system and instead move on to one with no obvious system.
    Motion lights and possibly camera's is another option.

Edited to add - so sorry you were robbed. I have been through 2 different situations, both car break-ins at home during the night in different states. Each was fairly minor, one unsolved and the other solved by the kid's Mother. He had my DL in his jeans which she found when doing laundry. I understand your frustration.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I'm sorry you were robbed, people do suck sometimes. But I have to ask, is a generator seriously worth shooting somebody over?

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    All I can say is they are DAMN lucky they didn't wake us or the dog up. SO just got a brand new rifle for Xmas and we haven't had a chance to test it out yet...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I'm sorry you were robbed, people do suck sometimes. But I have to ask, is a generator seriously worth shooting somebody over?
    Most likely no, but DEFINITELY worth scaring the hell out of their worthless hides so they never step foot on our property again.

15 members found this post helpful.

when you are cold in -40 degrees, and hungry...

But seriously, generator theft is not uncommon...I heard about that time and time again when a major storm ripped the power lines down around here.
    Brazen thieves will actually knock on your door, tell you some story that FEMA or EMS needs them, which is crock, then they make off with your generator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

3 members found this post helpful.

Maybe it is someone you know, even just an acquaintance that knows you have the generator. Have you had work done around your house? Repairmen? My parent's home was robbed of a bunch quarters my dad had been saving in huge glass things for years (estimated $15,000 worth). We know it had to be someone we know personally because random people do not go into someones house to get those things and don't take anything else. Construction equipment has also been stolen from them. They live on a back road with neighbors far from them. They now have a good security system and a large dog.
    To understand via the heart is not to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    when you are cold in -40 degrees, and hungry...
    Well presumably since they still have an internet connection, there are other options like using their phone, borrowing, driving to family/friends or a neighbour's or to the store to buy another one.

I sympathize over the theft. Just think there are other options (and yes, a good scare can certainly work if caught in the act).
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

THe theft is a sign to review your locks, and security systems. Many times thieves rob you, and then wait a while, and come back to do it again. I'm betting you can get some kind of motion alarm, and it would go off when the generator is moved. Even one of those alarms advertised for motel rooms might work for that. I'm assuming you did a police report, and it should be put on the watch list for stolen goods (see watching Dragnet and Law & Order did pay off).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Are you saying you will just help them to the door with their haul?
    That would be oh so polite of you.

The trouble is that those that steal don't think anything of killing you.
    You better be prepared to defend yourself, if you happen to come across them while they are committing a crime and yes, that may mean killing them.

Last fall we had some 40 burglaries in 30 days and some more after that here and there.
    We have had some since, just three weeks ago someone stole a spray trailer.
    There are two possibilities, some travelers have been cruising with false roofing companies, scamming people after a terrible hail storm damaged about 80% of the roofs in town.
    Also, for some reason drug traffic down the interstate has really picked up this winter, some of the stealing is drug related and you sure don't want to find someone high on drugs or in withdrawal stealing for their next fix, that is how innocent people are being killed around here.

9 members found this post helpful.

Since you had it on since till 1:30, they may have heard it running.

If it was my family being left in the cold....I'd be thinking about it. But, I'd try and catch them (yes, with a gun). If they were threatening violence, they'd lose. Never looking to shoot anyone, the legalities and expenses are terrible to deal with.

Friends in Maine had their generator stolen several years ago during a week period without power that winter...I know their kids would have happily have caused some damage.

I hate thieves.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry Redmond
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Did you file a police report? Do you have a recept for it? I'm asking this because without either one of these it will be hard to get it back if you were to find it on CL or at a pawn shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Since you had it on since till 1:30, they may have heard it running.
    That would be my guess too. You say your neighbors aren't visible, but are they within hearing distance? Someone could have heard it running, waited until your DH turned it off and then come over and taken it, know you guys had gone to bed.

Do you have motion detector outside lights?
    They tend to scare thieves away, especially if you have other security stuff, like cameras and alarms.

What we found around here, once thieves hit, they are apt to come back for the rest, when they see what else you may have and what security you have.

A friend's welding shop was cleaned out by thieves and five days later, before he had his alarm system up, they came back for the rest, taking tires and batteries right off the trucks, etc.

He has a security system now he can monitor from his phone, so he can see if someone is in there, inside or outside.

being robbed just sucks--I am so sorry op.

2 members found this post helpful.

So sorry you were robbed. That's awful. Buy another generator, run it, turn it off, turn out the lights and wait for the SOB to show up. Don't shoot him, but quietly call the police the moment you hear/see someone poking around. If you have the generator marked, when the cops pick him/her up at the end of the driveway, you've got 'em.

A couple years ago we had 2 separate weather events that caused wide spread power outtages for a week or longer in my area. Once for a hurricane and the second for an early snowstorm while there were still leaves on the trees. (that takes down a lot of trees)

My town is relatively small, heavily wooded and often loses power. So most people in town have generators. And there was a rash of generator thefts the first power outage and tons more the second one. People would drive around with their window open and listen to who had generators running, then come back over night and take them.

We weren't worried about ours, it is a portable but it's also 650 lbs empty and a bit under 800 lbs full of gas. But lots of people with the smaller generators had theirs chained, the thefts were that bad.

Stealing generators is relatively common, sucky as that is. Problem is nobody ever wants to spend the money on a generator of their own, but they sure do want one when the power goes out. And I'd also guess that the thief had heard it earlier and came back later to take it. They drive around listening for running generators and then pick the properties they can easily drive in, grab it unseen and then drive back out again quickly.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'm sorry, Redmond. What sucks really hard is that you likely have a thief living in fairly close proximity. That's never a good or safe feeling.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Do you have motion detector outside lights?
    They tend to scare thieves away, especially if you have other security stuff, like cameras and alarms.
    This stuff only works if there is power. With the power out it is very easy to get away with things. Dark out and people can't see you, the cameras don't work with out power.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed