The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So what's everybody doing in this deep freeze?

I'm sitting in the tack room with the kerosene heater we dug out of storage running. I'm trying to avoid CO2 poisoning as I thaw water buckets that are solid ice cubes.

I was supposed to work today, but figured a day's pay isn't worth it if damaging my car (which is HATING the extreme cold) is the result.

Marking papers, with four candles lit (and they are helping it warm up in here!) and watching the house across the street disappear in whiteout conditions.
    Hoping my boys (my BO put them out before he saw my text, and they refused to come in) are safely in their run in until I go to afternoon chores)
    Going to schlep hot water from home for suppers because the barn hot water is frozen again! Hooray for gallon juice jugs with a flip top spout!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

We are stuck here at home, since my car won't start. They did NOT build these KY homes for this type of weather, so we're currently freezing our petunia's off. Lots of layers, hot chocolate, and snuggling in Mom and Dad's bed for my girls. Luckily DH set the DVD player up in our room so that we can watch movies since it's the warmest room in the house!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Are anybody else's windows and door knobs covered in ice on the INSIDE? I'm trying to assess whether I need to let my landlord know, or just keep opening the door with gloves whenever I need to take the dog out.

I took a day off from work because I figured today (Tuesday) would be the bad day due to prolonged cold. Early morning temp was 1 degree. Lots of facebook friends had cars that would not start. Some power outages reported in my city. Haven't heard about anyone having frozen pipes yet. I'm home and the plan is to keep the pipes from freezing by doing some cleaning. Washing machine is running, need to mop the floors next. The at home horses are out, after spending the night in the barn, with blankets, hay and warmed-up water. They seem just fine.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    I'm sitting in the tack room with the kerosene heater we dug out of storage running. I'm trying to avoid CO2 poisoning as I thaw water buckets that are solid ice cubes.

I was supposed to work today, but figured a day's pay isn't worth it if damaging my car (which is HATING the extreme cold) is the result.
    PLEASE be careful. These are the #1 cause of fires in the winter, just yesterday a house in town burnt to the ground because of this, last week an entire student residence under construction burnt down half the city I work in because of this. Very dangerous inside unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony+ an inch View Post
    Are anybody else's windows and door knobs covered in ice on the INSIDE? I'm trying to assess whether I need to let my landlord know, or just keep opening the door with gloves whenever I need to take the dog out.
    That is common, our windows do that when it's really cold and nice and warm inside - no need to alert anyone.

The heat went out at work and we went down to 56 degrees inside as the stupid recirculating fan kept blowing cold air down people's necks. At first I thought somebody had left an outer door open but no, the thing quit.

Of all the things to happen - the car was a little sticky starting but did start, the pipes did NOT freeze, the trip to work was uneventful, we had a light day, but the heater failed. I left at 10AM and they still didn't have facilities maintenance on scene for the heater - but the in house guy did come through with a burning propane torch to unfreeze an outdoor lock - pretty desperate when you want to stop him and warm up your hands!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

same as usual, just wearing more clothes.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    The heat went out at work and we went down to 56 degrees inside as the stupid recirculating fan kept blowing cold air down people's necks. At first I thought somebody had left an outer door open but no, the thing quit.

Of all the things to happen - the car was a little sticky starting but did start, the pipes did NOT freeze, the trip to work was uneventful, we had a light day, but the heater failed. I left at 10AM and they still didn't have facilities maintenance on scene for the heater - but the in house guy did come through with a burning propane torch to unfreeze an outdoor lock - pretty desperate when you want to stop him and warm up your hands!
    You know it is cold when your vet has his arm up a mare and comments how nice and warm it is
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    PLEASE be careful. These are the #1 cause of fires in the winter, just yesterday a house in town burnt to the ground because of this, last week an entire student residence under construction burnt down half the city I work in because of this. Very dangerous inside unattended.
    We definitely don't leave it unattended! We light it and turn it off outside, and obviously I'm also aware of the CO2 issue. It's a great thing to have around when things get cold, though. It was a lifesaver a couple of years ago when we were 10 days without power- it's not like you can just leave a farm with all the critters and go to a hotel!

The windows here are covered in a light frost on the inside (which is a lot for this area!). Only ever experienced that once before, and that was way up north -- in Tennessee!

Beautiful sunny day here and I am playing on the computer across the street, a really good one, and it is quiet in here, if very cold!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    I took a day off from work because I figured today (Tuesday) would be the bad day due to prolonged cold. Early morning temp was 1 degree. Lots of facebook friends had cars that would not start. Some power outages reported in my city. Haven't heard about anyone having frozen pipes yet. I'm home and the plan is to keep the pipes from freezing by doing some cleaning. Washing machine is running, need to mop the floors next. The at home horses are out, after spending the night in the barn, with blankets, hay and warmed-up water. They seem just fine.
    What the heck kind of car doesn't start at that temp?? That's really not all that cold!

We have snowsqualls, blowing snow, windchills down to -36 this morning, and the new forecast is for up to 30 inches of snow by tomorrow night. I am at work today.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

i am assuming these are single pane windows? it was about 0 F when i got up this morning; no frost on the windows. of course, the hygrometer is reading less than 40%, so it's not like there's any moisture to freeze...

heat pump is struggling to maintain 63 F in the living room. intellicast says it's gone up to a balmy 9 F. this month's power bill is going to be *epic.*

try and stay warm, everybody.

ETA: at work, in a wool blend suit, turtleneck, and wearing my scarf.

my car started fine this morning, but i started my housemate's over the weekend (he's out of town for a month) and it and I had a right nice little chat about the battery. i suspect he may need a jump by the time he gets back.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Saultgirl- mine's diesel...and it needs new glow plugs. It has fits below about 15 degrees- it'll start with great effort, but runs like crap even after warming up for 30 minutes or better. Transmission shifts hard, etc.- I need a spare (gas) car for cold weather!

The only thing different from any other day is the horses are going out in the indoor arena several times today instead of going outside. Wind chill is -24. I've also added an additional hat to keep head warm. No way to keep face warm except a ski mask and then I can't see as my glasses fog up. Thankfully it only takes a minute to walk to the barn and about the same time to dump a load of manure.

So far no water in the barn has frozen, even overnight and the temperature this AM in the barn was 16 F and outdoor temp was -5 F at 7 AM. I LOVE my insulated buckets and warm water. So do the horses.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Default This looks like a good way to get to town right now!

The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Going outside as little as possible...it's easy to deal with ice, snow, freezing rain and wind when they come by themselves. But all together, ugh. Poor ponies.

I talked to a horse friend who said their barn hasn't been able to turn out for TWO WEEKS because of ice...

Contemplating making a sacrifice to the horse gods to get these darn horses to drink......that's what I'm doing.

Oh, not unusual. Ours are doing that.