The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have one who gets his hole enlarged long, long before the others It's showing on the wear on his teeth too It all boils down to how they habituated themselves to eating through it. That one guy will get grass down to the bare earth, that's how much he presses down, which in the process enlarges the hole and eventually it tears. He goes through about 3 muzzles every 2 years just for that reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I have one who gets his hole enlarged long, long before the others It's showing on the wear on his teeth too
    Yes, I have been reading about the mounting evidence that muzzles damage teeth and, overall, are just a lesser of two evils.

One local trainer keeps telling me, I should just drylot our horses for most of the day, but I cannot do it.

They would go bonkers and develop a bunch of vices. They need stimulation of the pasture.

I keep them in the paddock overnight and it is best I can do with these particular animals.

I would have never believed, I could get to the point as to wish for a hard keeper for a horse.
    Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering. - A.A.Milne

He's the only one of the 2 who have worn muzzles on a near-constant basis from April/May through Oct or so, for quite a few years, to have teeth issues. I don't know if his teeth are just softer, though the other one has soft-ish teeth, but I suspect it's largely due to how he really presses down And yes, it really is the lesser of 2 evils in many cases

And yeah, whomever decided these guys were "easy keepers" was smokin' sumthin'!

1 members found this post helpful.