The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Snowball Hoofpick?

What is your hoofpick of choice for removing snowballs from feet? I failed to get snowpads put on at the last shoeing and this wet snow has been horrific re creating ginormous snowballs in my shod horse's feet. Looking for suggestions for brand/type that might work better than what I am using. Thanks!
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

The Ultimate Hoofpick!

And don't forget the winter pads!!

2 members found this post helpful.

yes it is a great hoofpick, but the snowballs will keep coming back, as long as the horse walks in snow.

I am looking for something to get the snowballs out before she goes into the barn on the concrete. Worried about slipping. I don't ride in the snow.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

I keep a hammer by the door. One whack, problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

2 members found this post helpful.

I also use a hammer, very carefully.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hammer? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    I keep a hammer by the door. One whack, problem solved.
    THIS. I hook the ice ball with the claw end of the hammer and the whole ball just pops out.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

1 members found this post helpful.

I normally am able to get the whole ball, but this week temps have been zero or below. I had ice that clung to the area of the white line and would not come off with the usual technique. I chipped gently at the rest and cleared out the cleft and frogs and bars area, but was unable to completely clear the bottom of the sole. Strange!

Hammer!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Smear vaseline under the hooves

hammer here, too

Another user of the hammer method here! (Just don't bang too hard and you're fine ).
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

My horse wears glue-ons and the snow seems to stick to them worse than steel. If I hadn't just had her shod, I'd have the farrier out and put snow pads on now. Next reset I'll go back to nail ons and rim snow pads. I will try the vasoline and hammer approach. Since I don't ride in the snow, I just need to be able to get them out before I bring her in on the concrete. I HATE winter! Someday I will go to Florida...when I hit the lottery...If this winter is going to be as crappy as it is starting out to be I may just pull the shoes. The indoor I can trailer out to has great footing, so if I can't ride here at home...

Wow, so many people let snowballs happen? i have to keep my horses shod all year, and i just get a cheap snow rim pad on each front hoof. Last all season, and solves the problem of snowballing. i sure don't want my horses pulling a tendon or etc while in the pasture.

Several light taps with a hammer and out they go.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Wow, so many people let snowballs happen? i have to keep my horses shod all year, and i just get a cheap snow rim pad on each front hoof. Last all season, and solves the problem of snowballing. i sure don't want my horses pulling a tendon or etc while in the pasture.
    If you are unlucky enough to have a horse with glue ons, you need that hammer.
    Or if your shoeing cycle doesn't conform to the it's dammit snowing cycle.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    If you are unlucky enough to have a horse with glue ons, you need that hammer.
    Or if your shoeing cycle doesn't conform to the it's dammit snowing cycle.
    Yep, having that problem here. Farrier didn't put snow pads on when he did the mare in late November, and she gets done every 5 weeks anyway so late December will be fine, and then bam! we have snow this week. We were both thinking that this year would be like last year, where there was no significant snowfall until early January. I'm going to see if he will come a week early.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Haven't needed the snowrim pads until this weekend, with mud, frozen ground, but no snow. They are getting snowballs pretty badly, in this new snow, very cold temps, so I am whacking packed snow and ice out of hooves with a hammer at the door of the barn.

If using a regular hammer, get one with straight claws, not the hooked over claws. Easier to hit straighter claw where you aim on the lumps, control the strike on ice, to break lumps up, remove out of the hoof. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES for eye protection. Pieces fly EVERYWHERE.

Our horses WILL be getting snowrim pads with ice studs on the shoes SOON, next day or so, to let this hoof snow lump problem "go away".

Noble equine makes a really sturdy hoof pick. I've also heard of people spraying with pam, i'm curious if this would work and what the cons would be of this. thanks!

here's a link to the hoof picks, they've got one with a beer opener too!!