The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does eventing do enough to support Thoroughbreds?

Given that 37 percent of a multi-thousand sample specifically says they buy Thoroughbreds for eventing?
    Take a look at this study:
    http://www.retiredracehorsetraining....d=44:newsflash
    While I don't agree with some of the conclusions, overall, it's a very astonishing study to me in terms of how many horses from the track are actually pointed toward the sport, and how many people want to compete a Thoroughbred in eventing. The regular people ride the Thoroughbreds, don't they?
    We need a national sponsored eventing award(s) - on the leaderboard at USEA and tracked monthly - for the top Thoroughbred in the sport, hell, the top TB in every division the USEA awards year end championships. Or some other way to recognize the contributions of this breed on an ongoing year round basis. A tracking system that is like the USEA Leaderboard. I'd like to see horses like Donner listed there and check them from month to month to see how they are doing.
    I know the Jockey Club TIP program provides superior incentive with the TIP awards but that's grass roots and not overall national championship exposure. Don't we? Or maybe we need a whole new association....the Thoroughbred Eventing Association!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Seriously? No. I don't think so. Most of the largest events have a top OTTB award. TIP does a lovely job. It seems every news or editorial source we have has a regular TB column of some sort. We have tons of TB shows.

Seriously. I think TBs are doing JUST fine without yet another program. One of the things about eventing that is supposed to be such a draw is its inclusiveness. Why do we have to have a national award for one particular breed. If TIP wants to do a national award, fine, but I just don't think we need it. OTTBs are getting plenty of recognition.

9 members found this post helpful.

Eventing is the only sport left where TBs are desirable (zipping flame suit--but look at the upper levels of the different disciplines...). That fact in and of itself is eventing's contribution.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Given that 37 percent of a multi-thousand sample specifically says they buy Thoroughbreds for eventing?
    Take a look at this study:
    http://www.retiredracehorsetraining....d=44:newsflash
    While I don't agree with some of the conclusions,

horses like Donner
    (1) I'd love to hear more thoughts about the study's conclusions; and

(2) Don't forget Shiraz
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

I'd just note that the study was OF TB-owners. 37% of them had chosen their horse as an eventer. The study did not provide (nor was it designed to provide) numbers on eventers overall -- what percentage are OTTBs. I assume that number does exist, though. Anyone know where?
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

USEA already has an award for top TBs: the Wise Equestrian Thoroughbred award. Generously donated by Ronald Zabala, this year it was awarded for the top thoroughbreds at Novice-Preliminary (which included the Training Horse of the Year, Fugitive, and his junior rider). I believe they each won a saddle, which strikes me as a very very nice award.

See: http://useventing.com/news/usea-annu...-awards-dinner

Honestly I think the level of support/promotion for TBs, and OTTBs in particular, in eventing is pretty awesome as it is. Awards at all the biggest events, awards at smaller regional events, eventing-focused media sources (like eventing nation) that focus on and celebrate OTTBs and support various rehoming organizations, etc. Pretty much every top eventer has some TBs in their barn somewhere, and all of them support TB rehoming and marketing efforts. That, combined with the TIP program from the Jockey Club, is a pretty substantial amount of support and promotion.

Given how the sport has changed, I see why there are more WBs in the top levels of the sport, but I think overall the eventing community is THE place for TBs. I'm all for more recognition of them but am pretty hard pressed to figure out how any more could actually be done. I don't think one more award really makes much of a difference given the overall attitude of eventing towards TBs.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

The JC has the TIP awards, PHR has the Silver Stirrup Awards, there is the Wise award, and every time you turn around you get list after list of who at Rolex or WEG is TB or part TB. TBs are doing ok.

Jennifer

4 members found this post helpful.

Who completed this survey?

I'm just wondering because I have OTTBs and I asked 4 of my friends (who have multiple OTTBs or do selling) quickly on FB and none of them had heard of the survey.

1 members found this post helpful.

I did
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I did as well.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Such helpful responses! haha.. WHERE did you find it that you were able to fill it out? I'm just curious about who had access to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    I did

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    Such helpful responses! haha.. WHERE did you find it that you were able to fill it out? I'm just curious about who had access to it?
    I got it both as an email and saw it on facebook.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I got emails from RRTP and Equiery, and it was posted on various FB sites as well as RRTP (like OTTB Connect etc, I think).

Does eventing do enough for Quarter Horses? Does it do enough as a sport for WB's? I really think eventing is a sport where the horse has to do it for himself as an individual. The sport doesn't really owe it to any one type. TB's have been the poster horses for the sport for a long time, and I'm sure they will continue to be a mainstay.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

6 members found this post helpful.

I did as well.

While we here on the East Coast are drowning now in OTTB shows and show cases
    A lot of the country has not caught on the band wagon.

it would also have been interesting...unless I missed it.....to see geographically where the polled lived .....Also I would like to see some statistics on re sellers since there also is a market that is flooding. What average purchase price is and the average re sale sold price , average length of time on market etc.
    I can say 98% of my horses go to Eventers the rest go to multi purpose homes some Fox Hunters and H/J and minuscule % to Dressage. But the Dressage homes are UL and I get inquiries for UL Dressage Prospects.

I got two emails and saw it on FB a few different places. I answered that I adopted my horse from a rescue to be an eventer. I use that term generously since we never went past intro so I don't consider myself to be a real eventer but it was the most accurate of the choices.

Actually the survey instrument is not particularly good as it is based on a self-selected convenience sample. The data is based on responses to the affirmative to the following questions: Do you own one or more Thoroughbred ex-racehorses? It didn't matter if you had said horse for 20 year or for 1 year. This is all well and good, but the purpose of the study was to show what happens to ex-racehorses when they leave the track. The first sentence states that the "A public perception exists that racing owners send their retiring horses to auctions and that few lucky ones get rescued or adopted." If that is the concern, why not survey owners and trainers on their retirement practices? I have no idea how many horses are retired in any given year.

I don't have any issue with their conclusion that trainers and owners should be given information in the form of a localized resource guide to place retired horses. Clearly there is a market for some number of OTTBs. I just don't think their survey gives a clear picture of whether the public perception is particularly accurate or not.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com