The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Everybody bundle up...

Grab your longjohns, your 4 legged heaters, your fleeces and bundle up. Let's be careful out there everybody! Stay safe.

2 members found this post helpful.

I stayed home sick today (legitimate, although I'm not going to pretend I'm sad I missed having to drive in this weather today) and I just ran out to start my car for a few minutes...that wind is MISERABLE!! My face was so pink when I got back inside, and I was only outside maybe 15 minutes and bundled up.

Stay safe everyone!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

It's even going to get cold in coastal Georgia. Cloudy and Hattie have several layers of their liners, and I'll add more tomorrow. However, since Hattie is, uh well, their farrier and one Cother call her "Fattie Hattie" instead of her nickname "Hattie Pattie," so when I turned her out with her 2 liners this morning I told her not to roll on the sand island, as if she does, she might end up like a turtle on its back.
    This is the first time that they've worn the thicker liners that a Cother and I bought for our horses last winter. It rained yesterday and today, but my 2 had their clothing on so they did not get wet. And they are stalled at night. In deep shavings. Barn cats need to get in the stall with Cloudy tonight. And our favorite hen, Rapunzel, was shivering today when i was carrying her to eat her cat food.

Even here in North Central Florida they are predicting a hard freeze with temps high teens with wind chill advisories for tonight and tomorrow night...this morning at 7 am it was 62...high tomorrow might make it to 40. That being said, Saturdays prediction is 82....I always worry about the horses with the wild temperature fluctuation.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

I would if I had the clothes. We just don't normally get enough cold weather to justify buying heavy stuff. Last week my one heavy coat had the zipper go. I look like the Michelin Man with my layers of hoodies.

Trying to deal with icy buckets, etc. in an area that is not at all used to really cold weather is difficult. Thank goodness it will warm up on Wednesday.

1 members found this post helpful.

Even here in North Central Florida they are predicting a hard freeze with temps high teens with wind chill advisories for tonight and tomorrow night...this morning at 7 am it was 62...high tomorrow might make it to 40. That being said, Saturdays prediction is 82....I always worry about the horses with the wild temperature fluctuation.
    Wow. That is quite a fluctuation! I didn't realize it was headed down that far, stay warm!!!

Central Kentucky was at 52 yesterday and was down to 1-2 degrees with windchills of -21 today. Not going to be any better overnight or tomorrow, though we are supposed to be back into the 30's o Wednesday.

Our stock tank heaters aren't doing the trick here right now, I still pulled three inches of ice out of my heated 100gal tank. There was only a small area around the floating tank heater that wasn't frozen. We went and bought a second heater to put in.

Three horses are going through two bales of hay in 24 hours at this point. Not cleaning up entirely, but certainly eating most of it. They have their blankies on and seem to be doing okay. The wind is a real killer, though.

I took an extra day off work so I could have three off in a row and not have to worry about getting there. My only responsibility outside of the house until Wednesday is the horses.

Snowtips: My mother taught me this one: wear nitrile/vinyl/latex gloves under your cold-weather gloves. Also one I have learned (by almost overheating)--after the head and groin, you lose TONS of heat through your neck. Wear a scarf. I am currently wearing my overalls (big hunter-orange bib overalls, yes, they look like grown-up snow pants, but they're warm), my long LL Bean "sleigh coat" with a hood, the double gloves, a scarf, and a ski mask. My fingers still went into pain checking on the goats. It's -14 real air temp right now.

Most days I love my job but I don't think tomorrow is going to be one of them! I am a dog walker. Think they will be going out for a power potty and calling it a day. I am still recovering from bronchitis and that cold air kills my lungs.

My down jacket normally spends at least 360 days/year in a bag under my bed, but on those other 5 days, it's priceless. I was so glad to have it this morning - wind chills in the teens here in north Florida. And yesterday I went to work wearing just a t-shirt and cardigan sweater, no jacket.

I have a long down coat that is like wearing a sleeping bag most days. I wore it for my night check last night and it wasn't enough. This morning, I put on my good down jacket but thought my butt would be too cold, so I put the down coat over it. Total Michelin, but it did the trick. My tank heaters are doing the trick, but I have them in smaller tanks. Have a drop cord in the well head and another on the frost-free (ha!) hydrant, hope they both do the job for the water. Dogs have access to the space under the house and have an oil radiator going there. My house is heated w/ propane and I never leave it on when I'm gone, but i left another oil radiator on in the bedroom, which is between the bathrm and kitchen, so should handle the water in the house. My outside water, other than the frost-free, I turn off all winter anyway. Horses are double-blanketed; haven't even got the liners out of storage the past two winters. I don't have blankets for the donks but they are very wooly, though I can tell they're feeling the cold. Keeping my fingers crossed till Wednesday when the temps will hopefully get above freezing. At least the heavy wind never materialized here.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

The sun is out here today. The chill factor is still minus 14. All the ponies couldn't seem to understand why I didn't turn them out!