The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weather report: 75 degrees, nice and sunny in So Cal

We had winter here for a couple days, yikes. I think it got down to 40 at night. Brrr!

2 members found this post helpful.

And it hasn't rained in, what, a year?

4 members found this post helpful.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

1 members found this post helpful.

Hah. We got maybe two days of rain at the beginning of December. While this mid 60's weather is glorious we will be on water restrictions soon I'm sure...

8 members found this post helpful.

One word: traffic.

Nothing in this world could ever convince me to move back there.

A big tbbbttthhh!!!(blowing rasberries) to you from all of us freezing lol

Have worn sandals every day since December 21, though it has been very foggy at the beach a few mornings. I am just sayin'.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I realize people think that posting these threads is funny, but when you're living in miserable weather and it's too dangerous to even go anywhere because the roads are so bad and if you get stuck you're in physical danger, it's really just exasperating.

"Oh, your weather is awful? Sucks to be you it's nice here hahaha!" It's a bit like saying "Oh, you drive an old beater that breaks down on you every day? I don't have any problems with my Mercedes hahaha!"
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Very bad drought

I am in the CA bay area. We have been having weather in the mid 70's on the coast (it doesn't get that warm in the summer!), sunny and clear... day after day (and you can't jab me about traffic - THIS is my commute - but I DO have a high cost of living).

2013 finished off as the driest year in recorded history. Santa Cruz county got 60% LESS rain than the prior driest year EVER recorded.

The Central Valley - the fruit basket of the US (produces 50% of the vegis, fruits and nuts for the whole nation) is slated to receive just 5% of their water request.

THIS IS A VERY VERY BAD DROUGHT, AND SHOULD BE BIG NEWS. Yet, for some reason it isn't.

The hay fields I ride around are just DIRT, blowing, dusty DIRT. This was the hay fields last December, also a drought.

These are the hay fields from this December.

The ranchers are having to feed hay to their cattle (which are usually grazing on lush pastures by now).

The creeks are running dry - the spring that supplies the water for my house is usually a steady trickle in the summer, a good sized creek in the winter. Now it is DRY. I have never seen it DRY.

The river next to my property is usually 10 deep and RAGING (moving redwood logs down it type of raging) this time of year. This year? Ankle deep.

The snow pack in the Sierras (water source for much of the state, including so cal) is 20% of normal.

I sure hope those in So Cal are not washing cars, or watering lawns, or filling pools - but somehow I am not hopeful (previous droughts always felt like business as usual in So Cal when I lived there, while tight rationing was in place in Nor Cal).

But, it has been sunny, my trails are dry, the weather is warm (except for the "cold snap" we had with highs of 45!), and I have been able to go out on a couple moon lit rides this winter, and I am very worried about our water situation and hay costs for next year.

I truly do feel bad for the people I know in Chicago who are dealing with -40 degree temps. But I am glad that I don't live there anymore.

And I won't rub it in and tell you what the temperature was here at noon when I went out for lunch.
    I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I am in the CA bay area. We have been having weather in the mid 70's on the coast (it doesn't get that warm in the summer!), sunny and clear... day after day (and you can't jab me about traffic - THIS is my commute - but I DO have a high cost of living).

2013 finished off as the driest year in recorded history. Santa Cruz county got 60% LESS rain than the prior driest year EVER recorded.

The Central Valley - the fruit basket of the US (produces 50% of the vegis, fruits and nuts for the whole nation) is slated to receive just 5% of their water request.

THIS IS A VERY VERY BAD DROUGHT, AND SHOULD BE BIG NEWS. Yet, for some reason it isn't.

The hay fields I ride around are just DIRT, blowing, dusty DIRT. This was the hay fields last December, also a drought.

These are the hay fields from this December.

The ranchers are having to feed hay to their cattle (which are usually grazing on lush pastures by now).

The creeks are running dry - the spring that supplies the water for my house is usually a steady trickle in the summer, a good sized creek in the winter. Now it is DRY. I have never seen it DRY.

The river next to my property is usually 10 deep and RAGING (moving redwood logs down it type of raging) this time of year. This year? Ankle deep.

The snow pack in the Sierras (water source for much of the state, including so cal) is 20% of normal.

I sure hope those in So Cal are not washing cars, or watering lawns, or filling pools - but somehow I am not hopeful (previous droughts always felt like business as usual in So Cal when I lived there, while tight rationing was in place in Nor Cal).

But, it has been sunny, my trails are dry, the weather is warm (except for the "cold snap" we had with highs of 45!), and I have been able to go out on a couple moon lit rides this winter, and I am very worried about our water situation and hay costs for next year.
    This. Not to mention that the forest fire risk this year is most likely going to be out of control.

And while I am definitely loving being to ride every day, I'm also very worried about the water situation. And its surprising to me too the news hasn't been mentioning much. Usually by this point they're giving the doom and gloom routine about how much rain we haven't received.

So you cold weather people buried in snow? Don't gloat too much when half of CA is on fire later this summer...

I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. It is so very dry here. I wonder why the Farmer's Almanac is wrong in not predicting the drought we're in? http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/region/us/16
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

I'll happily take anyone's drought off their hands. DH is a teaching tennis professional. We love droughts, since rain = lost income.

We spent time on the CA central coast last week. Paso Robles wineries were saying that they had 10% of normal rainfall in 2013. Also saw for the first time ever, trucks throwing hay to the cattle in the fields. Very very bad drought. We'll all be paying for it in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    We'll all be paying for it in 2014.
    True dat. But, since there is nothing we can do about it except for conserve water - which I am sure will be mandatory soon - we may as well go to the beach
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by INoMrEd View Post
    I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. It is so very dry here. I wonder why the Farmer's Almanac is wrong in not predicting the drought we're in? http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/region/us/16
    Because it is not based on science. Course I also do not believe in weaning by the signs, horoscopes etc - some people do, but do not be surprised when it does not work out as perdicted! As far as I know, humans have not figured out how to predict the future - and that goes for what is printed in the Almanac.

Meanwhile - we are left with a DEEP drought. Driest year EVER recorded! And we have to cope with the reality.

I gave my horse a more complete clip - so I won't have to wash her off as much. Car is pretty dirty. Just replaced our hot water heater - with a SMALLER one.

But everyone needs to conserve - I really wish this was bigger news.

Up in Redding, CA, yes, the weather is beautiful, but the Shasta Lake is WAY down and if it keeps going like this, it will be lower than it's been since the 80's. That means MAJOR water problems for this area and the entire state.

So even though it may seem exasperating to people freezing (and I'm truly sorry for those of you who are and hope you and yours stay safe), this 70+ degree weather is very troublesome!

How about if we send you some snow for your drought, and you send us some warm air to get rid of our freezing temps? Sounds like a win-win to me.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

4 members found this post helpful.

I live in the Central Valley (Tracy, CA) and let me tell you, this drought is going to suck. I was going to plant my back 5 acres with hay but I don't have irrigation. Usually you could plant it and just let the rain do the job but with it so dry, I don't think anything will grow.

And the dust out here is insane, so fine, like talcum powder. I won't be surprised if we see an increase in Valley Fever this next year. The almond orchard across the street lost about 20 acres of new trees between the cold snap and lack of rain.

Yeah, it may be warmer but we have no water. I thank my lucky stars I have a great well that goes DEEP.