The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Psyllium feeding question

Do you feed psyllium (if you do at all) mixed in with wet slurries or do you top dress it over your grain, pellets or other food of choice? This is for possible/probable sand & dirt load.

Thanks

I would not wet it personally, it completely changes once it's wet.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

When I fed it in the long ago past, I'd just top dress it over their mash. None of them colicked, so I thought it was okay. I bought some more yesterday, and the clerk cautioned me against feeding it without mixing it with lots of water. Maybe it works, if it works at all, any old way you do it?

Thanks.

If you wet the psyllium, it increases the chance of them choking on it because wetting it makes it more sticky/gel-like in subtsance. You want it to get sticky once it's in their digestive system, not before it goes down.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know anything about the health issues, but Her Royal Highness refuses to touch it if wet. I have to smuggle it into her with senior feed.

On the other hand, the other horses eat it happily top dressed on beetpulp/rice bran mix. It is wet, but not soaked and the horses eat it well before it gets wet/mushy.

There isn't really much proof that feeding psyllium has any benefits.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

My horses ate their psyllium pellets without feed and definitely without wetting it. I've been at a lot of barns that fed the Equi-Aid and never saw a horse not eat it dry. Barn owners told me not to wet the psyllium pellets.

I switched to Metamucil several years ago so I can feed it daily instead of just 7 days a month. My horses have no problem with it, as I mix it and some water with their Seminole Safe and Lite.

Thanks everyone.

Despite having large, on the ground feeders, my horses in dirt-floor stalls sometimes pull their hay out and scatter it over the ground, then carry it out to their sand runs. We're ready to start putting planks down as flooring, but in the meantime, I'm concerned about colic.

I've done the plastic glove test on a couple of them, and did find more dirt than I'd like, so I thought it might help to clean things out until we get the planks down. I know that psyllium isn't super effective, but it's all we have.

PS--I'm top-dressing the psyllium--they're cleaning it up.
    Last edited by Hermein; Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:50 AM.