The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default senior horse options (coupon ideas??)

Had my big ole TB on Purina Equine Senior and switched over to safechoice senior (which he has done equally well on) because of the BOGO coupons all fall... Well, finally am on my last 3 bags of safechoice senior.. they are both $19.99. Looking for either additional coupon ideas or opinions on the best feed since paying the same price (Triple Crown doesn't have vendors in my area)

Not sure where you are located and what brands are options. I've found that when you go cheap, you get cheap. I try to get good hay (or pasture) and keep it in front of the horse at all times, and add concentrates as needed. Most of the time I need to use very little concentrate, if any. But good quality hay is the key ingredient. I look for a concentrate to have a protein-fat-fiber percent to total at least 30, and better yet near 40, with at least 12% protein if the horse is in work.
    Last edited by Flash44; Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I also had good results with Nutrena Safe Choice Senior. BOGO was a great intro price. Did you sign up for these?

https://www.nutrenarewards.com/Login...utrena+Rewards

I would also like to hear what others recommend. We have been feeding the Safechoice Senior.. We have about 10 bags left.. I have bought a couple Triple 10 bags from Southern States bc I had free coupons. It is higher in fat and my seniors can chew it better..

If its working, I wouldnt switch.. I agree with the you get what you pay for. You're NOT going to find anything comparable to the nutrition as what your feeding right now any cheaper... Your are a horse owner and are responsible for the horses care... if its not affordable to you.. well. But plenty of good quality hay is a very important thing.
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

1 members found this post helpful.

If sugar/starch is a concern then go with the Purina senior healthy edge as it has lower NSC than the nutrena. Otherwise, I think they are pretty equal. My horses ate both well. My tb got a little hot on it tho when the weather got cold. I changed him to Blue Seal Performance LS and he has calmed back down.