The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whoa... OT is an official forum?

I've been wondering where all of the posts went today. Just now, I noticed it's down here. Whoa...
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I think it is a trial, will have to see how this plays out.

May be more changes to come, don't know yet.

I like it

3 members found this post helpful.

I feel sorry for Mod 1!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
    I feel sorry for Mod 1!
    Hahahaha! I know!

I know I'm just a minor poster here so I may not get a lot of say in this & my opinion seems to be on the minority side as well, but I don't like it. I'm surprised b/c I thought I would, but imo, it is taking away from the other areas of the site. I've seen so many threads that are in Off Topic, that really do belong in the other areas like Menagerie. Or threads that I can't believe people actually post - either TMI or are kind of silly like what to do with batteries? Really?

I imagine people are putting these posts here though so they are seen. I can honestly say that I've read the other areas much less since November. I've also wanted to post something about my lessons, but feel like no one will really see that post and respond b/c it would be in Off Course.

I know, I know...bah humbug. I can't help it. I just don't like change and I really don't want this site to become like some of the others out there. Horses quickly just became gossip. This site is amazing with lots of people who care about their horses and are so knowledgeable and generous, it would be shameful to lose that.

Just sayin'.

Jenn

8 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

So, FourFaults....where were you when the Western Forum was added?
    Did that take anything away from your total COTH experience?

Really, if OT forum bothers you there's a real easy solution:
    Don't Ever Click On It.

I enjoy the OT threads.
    Not all of them by any means.
    I avoid the political ones but truly like the recipe threads.
    And I like picking the brains of my cyber-friends on topics other than horses.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    So, FourFaults....where were you when the Western Forum was added?
    Did that take anything away from your total COTH experience?

Really, if OT forum bothers you there's a real easy solution:
    Don't Ever Click On It.

I enjoy the OT threads.
    Not all of them by any means.
    I avoid the political ones but truly like the recipe threads.
    And I like picking the brains of my cyber-friends on topics other than horses.
    Settle down. I don't think there was a need to be rude and sarcastic. Last time I checked, we were all entitled to our own feelings and thoughts. Jeez. And, maybe the mods are taking all these thoughts and feelings into consideration while they do this trial. No harm in voicing where my vote would be - or so I thought.

10 members found this post helpful.

Not a fan either although I do find myself looking at it and even posting on it. Hypocritical, I know. But I think it is taking away from the other forum, I think there is less posting going on in the horse related forums. I'm sure the advertisers like it but I think it will eventually take away the more "useful" forums. People only have so much computer time and they go to OT first because it hosts so many trainwrecks, just can't look away. I prefer to see it as an occasional thing.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm not a fan but only because OT used to be unexpected, special and a "Yay, it's open!" kind of moment. (Hmmm - that's probably some kind of defect, wanting to be deprived of something so it's exciting when you finally get it, right?)

Anyhoo it just doesn't feel as special to me. (And even if I don't look, like 2DF gently suggested, I still know it's there all the time and therefore not as special to me. So there.)
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by FourFaults View Post
    Settle down. I don't think there was a need to be rude and sarcastic. Last time I checked, we were all entitled to our own feelings and thoughts. Jeez. And, maybe the mods are taking all these thoughts and feelings into consideration while they do this trial. No harm in voicing where my vote would be - or so I thought.
    Sorry!Sorry!!Sorry!!!
    Really no snark was intended!
    Soooo hard to read tone from typed posts.

All I meant was it's easy enough to not ever bother with the OT forum if you have no interest.

And honestly, I am not seeing it take away from the other forums.
    Maybe just my view {shrugs}

Are we OK?
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

I think it is wonderful. And like everyone says, if you do not like it, Do not go to OT.
    I am not a Hunter Jumper person, but I do not mind that there is that forum, or a race person, or a western person.
    There is something for everyone on COTH now.
    It was a brilliant move on their part I think.
    I actually have been ignore facebook for the last week.
    And have gone to Horse threads that I have not done in ages.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

But, ummm...there isn't supposed to be "something for everyone" on a horse forum. There is supposed to be something for HORSE people on a horse forum.

It is taking away from the other forums, primarily in that people are posting pretty much everything here in a big mishmash of horse, sex, home tips, business etiquette, travel, children topics. I think it is ruining the forums, and I'm definitely not as interested in COTH as I was before this became permanent (semi-permanent?). There are less horse topics overall, and I don't want to dig around over here looking for random horse topics that should have been posted elsewhere. It's like a big freak show dumping ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I think it is wonderful. And like everyone says, if you do not like it, Do not go to OT.
    I am not a Hunter Jumper person, but I do not mind that there is that forum, or a race person, or a western person.
    There is something for everyone on COTH now.
    It was a brilliant move on their part I think.
    I actually have been ignore facebook for the last week.
    And have gone to Horse threads that I have not done in ages.

5 members found this post helpful.

Sorry!Sorry!!Sorry!!!
    Really no snark was intended!
    Soooo hard to read tone from typed posts.

All I meant was it's easy enough to not ever bother with the OT forum if you have no interest.

And honestly, I am not seeing it take away from the other forums.
    Maybe just my view {shrugs}

Are we OK?
    Yes, we are ok lol. I think people are either going to like it or not like it with no in between. And that's ok. I just hope it doesn't take away from the actual horsiness of the other areas b/c it's damn hard to ignore this one. I tried lol!

Jenn

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    But, ummm...there isn't supposed to be "something for everyone" on a horse forum. There is supposed to be something for HORSE people on a horse forum.

It is taking away from the other forums.
    Why does it have to be just a horse forum? there are other places to go, but even then most have this type of sub-forum.

My prediction is that it will die down after the novelty wears off, though I have not personally felt a decline in horse-threads.

My impression, said this in another thread on the same subject, a lot of horse forums are being over-run by bullies and people are preferring to be on secret forums in FB, where you know who you are talking to and their real names. I think BBs are becoming a bit passe'. People have forgotten general manners. I prefer to get insights on my horse from people who know the situation better then random internet people. I also get tired of internet jockeys who may or may not actually ride a real horse. LOL.

If it doesn't work for you, why are you involved? I'm not following.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like not feeling the need to rush to OT to see if it's still open. I can take my time and meander through all the forums. It's no longer like when you have to gorge on egg nog at Christmas because you can't have it the rest of the year.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post
    I like not feeling the need to rush to OT to see if it's still open. I can take my time and meander through all the forums. It's no longer like when you have to gorge on egg nog at Christmas because you can't have it the rest of the year.
    Good point!

Agreed, Gypsy!
    I find myself checking for interesting threads on OT, then going right back to my alltime favorite forums.

FourFaults - I hope you find other forums keep on keeping on.
    After all, we're all drawn here by having horses in common.
    Kinda fun to see what else we think alike about
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

Agreed, Gypsy!
    I find myself checking for interesting threads on OT, then going right back to my alltime favorite forums.

FourFaults - I hope you find other forums keep on keeping on.
    After all, we're all drawn here by having horses in common.
    Kinda fun to see what else we think alike about
    Right.

Also, as others have pointed out, there are no other forums where you don't have a general interest section other than the general topic the forums are for.

Looking at the numbers of posters and lurkers at the bottom, I would say, maybe because the holidays are over, or maybe because of the OT, those are a good 20% up, is my guess.
    That would tell us maybe the OT forum being open for a while now is at least not hurting the traffic on COTH.

I agree that social media and life in general has diluted the general pool of forum participants every place, by giving people more to do than just forums to read.

Lets remember this is just an experiment and maybe there are more changes to come, maybe not.
    Will be an interesting ride, for those that stick with it.

I really like it. I'm I don't think I am any less loyal to the other forums because of it. I do wish people would put a cap on the dem/rep/political posts, they get us nowhere and I'm afraid the mods will eventually get tired of it.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester