The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default waterproofing on Horseware blankets ans sheets.

I want to buy a new "lite" (no insulation at all) blanket for those not too cold days when the skies open up. I thought I would save some money and buy an Amigo....all my other turnouts are Rambo or Rhino and they fit my horse perfectly. Is the waterproofing the same on all 3...does anyone find that the waterproofing or water resistance is better on the more expensive Rambos or Rhinos? Also, I know on the Rhino, the coating in not on the top layer of material in the mid and HW turnouts. How does that work with the Rhino Lite? Thanks in advance.

To be honest, I don't think the Amigo is as good as the Rambo BUT, that said, I believe a lot of it depends on the denier that you get.

For example, I have a horse that wears a light weight Rambo turnout that is a 1000 denier and except where the rain runs down around the neck of the turnout, my horse stays completely dry. Another horse in the barn has a newer Amigo light weight but it's only a 600 denier and it is not quite a waterproof as the Rambo. I will see dampness on his sides and sometimes after a really hard all day rain, he will be damp on his butt as well. Could the horse be sweating in the Amigo is always a possibility but it also takes a lot longer for it to dry on him than the Rambo does on my horse.

This is just what I've observed between the 2.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I actually think my new Amigo 600's are doing a better job than the 1200's! I bought 3 new 1200's and 2 new 600's this year (ouch!). The 600's are very light with less lining and a cut that's not as deep. The 1200's are deeper, have leg arches, etc. and just seem more substantial weight-wise.

We had a couple days of non-stop rain and the 1200's had the dampness like msj described, but the 600 the old man was wearing didn't. I was shocked. I don't have any Rambos, but I have a couple old Rhinos - some of which are just being replaced after more than ten years.

I have always loved the Rhinos (no doubt I'd love Rambos), but they've just gotten too expensive and I don't think the quality is as good as it was. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Amigos do.
    Y'all ain't right!

i have the amigo 600 sheet for me TB mare, and it rocks. I was very suprised as I have had rhinos and rambos before and a few other brands that have never measured up. But for the price, the amigo is the way to go.

my blanket is on it's second season as the blanket is just over a year old.
    Last edited by Catersun; Jan. 3, 2014 at 09:52 PM.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I went through two leaking 600D Amigos a few years ago, so I can't recommend those. I now have a 1200D which seems to be holding up well. No leaking so far and we have had lots of rain.

IMO - there's only one reason Horseware manufactures all 3 of these brands at different price points. Rambos = premium grade, Rhino = mid grade, Amigo = economy. This is one brand where you get what you pay for. I own exactly one Amigo, and it's a heavyweight blanket liner that goes under a Rambo t/o sheet AND it's only used about 4 days per year (I got it at a really cheap sale price). I bought a Rhino t/o blanket once, and decided to not waste my money again. You lay all 3 models side-by-side, and you will see noticeable differences in the manufacture/materials. Don't ever expect an Amigo to give you the same life as a Rambo. Just MY opinion.
    Cindy

3 members found this post helpful.

The quality of the Amigos has declined in the last two years. I used to love the Amigo line when it first came out and had great success with the 1200 sheets and blankets. However, the last two I've bought have had issues with poor stitching on the off side surcingle attatchment and the inside lining has ripped with minimal wear and tear. :/

Last year I purchased a Rambo Wug lightweight blanket. It wore like iron, but when the blanket cleaners washed it at the end of the season, the waterproofing had worn off. I called the retailer, who said Horsewear would replace it for free- I just had to send it back to them. Maybe it was a fluke, not sure- but at least they still have a three year guarantee.

I have a friend whose new Rambo lite failed in its first big rain this year. She took it back to
    Dover...no problem They are getting her a new one.

I've got a wonderful 10 year old Rhino, but I know other people have other experiences.

I wish Horseware would be less coy about the differences between them and how long they expect them to last and how waterproof they are expected to be. It is hard to make an intelligent buying decision amongst their lines at the moment.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by baymarewithflair View Post
    ...It wore like iron, but when the blanket cleaners washed it at the end of the season, the waterproofing had worn off...
    Same with our 2010 Rambo Wug lite bought in Feb 2011 and used randomly.
    The liner had a tear, too.

The expense Rambos last a long time. So the investment is worth the cost. I just saw an amigo sheet and thought it was very cheap looking. Don't know if it will last long on the horse it is on now.

The Rhino Lite that I have seems to have some kind of "fill" between the outer shell and the lining, which I was skeptical of at first (and stuck a hand under to make sure my horse wasn't cooking, several times the first day I had it on him) but he didn't get hot so I guess that is where the water repellency comes from, but is not a "warm" fill.

I also have an Amigo 1200 (Bravo 12, I think), 100 gm fill, which I am completely IN LOVE with. It is super waterproof, fits great, isn't causing rubs, keeps him comfortable in a wide range of temps, and is actually holding up to my goofy young horse, who is currently turned out in a herd of mouthy TB yearlings

I don't like the 600D Amigos so much though. They seem to lose their waterproofing quickly.

I saw a video from Horseware that has a official looking person saying that the waterproofing in a Rhino is 8 times greater that the waterproofing they use on the outer layers of their other turnouts...this has to be the Rambos and Amigos!

I have one Amigo and it leaks like crazy. I have several Rambos and Rhinos, some of them 10 years old that are still waterproof.

I bought an Amigo Mio sheet last year to use as a rain coat for my old guy who gets cold easily if he gets wet. And he prefers to stand out in the pouring rain than hang out in his stall. He has 24/7 access to stall or pasture - his choice.

He has worn that sheet maybe 30 days out of the last 365. I'm disgusted that it has zero water-proofing left. Won't waste my money again on an Amigo.
    Fox Wood Farm

I have a few of all three lines. They all have to be re-waterproofed from time to time. Just buy the waterproof spray--it's not hard to do. BTW, my Amigo 1200Ds I have had for probably 7-8 years and they still look brand new.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

1 members found this post helpful.

My rhino has a waterproof layer under the shell that is the waterproofing. I was told by a friend (ex horsesware Ireland rep) who said they are designed that way so the wstrrproofing doesnt wear off.

Reading all the responses, made me question my experiences with the new Amigos. I was glad to have another shot at it (not really, I'm tied of rain already).

Yesterday/last night we got A LOT of rain. Two horses wore 600's and two wore 1200's - all sheets are new this season. Once again, my 600's did a better job keeping the beasties dry!! If I can find a couple more for the low prices I got the others for, I'm getting more.
    Y'all ain't right!

It actually makes sense that the waterproofing would stay more in tact if it was one layer down. I would love to heat some feedback from people who have had both and can compare......of course the outer layer of the rhinos must get totally saturated.

i've heard and read more stories that i can count about waterproofing being removed by blanket cleaners. and while it sucks i don't see how you can blame the mfr for that. isn't it clearly the cleaners fault?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique